So Many Damn Books discussion

Episode Discussions > Episode Forty-Five: Top Six of 2016 (so far) Discussion!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new)

C. (christmastownusa) | 35 comments Mod
We chose six books that came out in 2016 that we love already!

So you tell us a book you love!

We also talked about books we are looking forward to!

So will you tell us books you're looking forward to?

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Hi guys - love the podcast! I subscribe to a lot of podcasts that center on books and reading, and yours is the one I look forward to the most.

2016 book I loved: Mr Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt. The weirdness and dual narrative structure were right up my alley.

2016 book I'm looking forward to: The Heavenly Table by Donald Ray Pollock. Based on the strength of his two previous books Knockemstiff and The Devil All The Time, this one should be gritty, nasty and fun.

message 3: by Liz (last edited Jun 30, 2016 10:09PM) (new)

Liz (lschubert) | 3 comments I've only read two books that were published this year.
The Portable Veblen The Portable Veblen by Elizabeth Mckenzie and

My Name Is Lucy Barton My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout .

I liked them both very much but would say The Portable Veblen was my favorite of the two. I have such a back-list from prior years, it's so difficult to read current year books!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisgitt) I loved My Name is Lucy Barton!

message 5: by C. (new)

C. (christmastownusa) | 35 comments Mod
So cool to hear that Mr. Splitfoot is good, I was curious about it! Anything compared to Aimee Bender makes me perk my ears up.

Liz - Drew and I have been discussing that, the pull to read what is new and the pull to read what you already got interested in because of the last discussion of what was new. We are definitely part of the problem...

message 6: by Liza (last edited Jul 01, 2016 03:14PM) (new)

Liza (littleinsect) | 3 comments I also liked Mr Splitfoot!

I'd actually read 5 of the 6 2016 releases mentioned in this episode and generally agree that they were good (though Sudden Death wasn't really my cup of tea).

I liked American Housewife by Helen Ellis.

message 7: by Drew (new)

Drew (drewsof) | 3 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "Hi guys - love the podcast! I subscribe to a lot of podcasts that center on books and reading, and yours is the one I look forward to the most.

2016 book I loved: Mr Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt. T..."

Oh I had no idea there was a new Donald Ray Pollock this year! Damn, that just got me super excited. (and I can't wait to read Mr. Splitfoot - it's definitely on my October Reads list)

message 8: by Margie (new)

Margie Matthew wrote: "Hi guys - love the podcast! I subscribe to a lot of podcasts that center on books and reading, and yours is the one I look forward to the most.

2016 book I loved: Mr Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt. T..."

After I finished this I wouldn't have said I loved it - it was so melancholy. But this book has really stayed with me. The characters, the mood, the writing - really great.

message 9: by Margie (last edited Jul 04, 2016 07:00AM) (new)

Margie So many good books. If I have to pick one, I'd have to go with My Name is Lucy Barton. The Nest, All the Birds in the Sky, The Portable Veblen and Ways to Disappear were also very good. The Summer Before the War was lovely and made me cry.

message 10: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 1 comments Christopher wrote: "We chose six books that came out in 2016 that we love already!"

I'll pick six too! Favorite 2016s:
Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrique
Revulsion: Thomas Bernhard in San Salvador by Horacio Castellanos Moya
Sons and Daughters of Ease and Plenty by Ramona Ausubel
Tram 83 by Fiston Mwanza Mujila
What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

...and the BEST OF 2016 so far:
tie: LaRose by Louise Erdrich & the Girls by Emma Cline

Can I do favorite comics/graphic novels? I'll do favorite comics/graphic novels:
Hot Dog Taste Test by Lisa Hannawalt
Paper Girls

message 11: by AmberBug (new)

AmberBug com* | 2 comments Bob wrote: "Christopher wrote: "We chose six books that came out in 2016 that we love already!"

I'll pick six too! Favorite 2016s:
Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrique
Revulsion: Thomas Bernhard in San Salvador..."

Good to know LaRose is worth it. I have that picked to read and I LOVED The Girls.

My favorites this year so far have been:
The Girls, Sleeping Giants, The Vegetarian, The Guest Room and my current read so far Girls on Fire.

Looking forward to:
The Terranauts: A Novel, Multiple Choice (could be awful but I am SO intrigued), How to Set a Fire and Why: A Novel (because... Jesse Ball), Dear Mr. M, Nutshell and does this one count? Woman No. 17 it's not due to publish until 2017. Eh, I'm still psyched for it!