Horror Aficionados discussion

Greener Pastures
This topic is about Greener Pastures
Author/Publisher/Etc. Promotion > Greener Pastures

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments I'm new to this lovely group (and already bought a book based on a recommendation I saw!) but wanted to shout a little bit about my debut short fiction collection, Greener Pastures, which was put out by Shock Totem Publications. It's been in the world going on three months and, so far, has been received well enough to make me very happy. 31 Amazon reviews, 28 on Goodreads, nearly all positive, and some great press reviews as well. Just yesterday, Fangoria gave the book a glowing review, which pretty much made my year: http://www.fangoria.com/new/greener-p...

What's the deal with it, you ask? Paul Tremblay calls it "a wonderful collection of quietly creepy tales that are mature and smart enough to let their effects linger." Steve Rasnic Tem says, "It's one of the finest debuts I've read in years." These 11 stories range from traditional horror to dark fantasy to weird fiction to a bit of Southern Gothic, all with a literary intention that hopes to examine characters that feel real and have real problems. I look at different kinds of darkness--grief, abuse, transformation, found-footage horror, things living in the earth and things falling from the sky.

Two of these stories made the shortlist in Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year (vols. 7 and 8), and one story, "The Devil Under the Maison Blue," is being reprinted this year in Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror and Year's Best Weird Fiction.

Please forgive the rambling! If this sounds like your cup of dark tea, I appreciate your interest!

Char  | 16720 comments Mod
Hi, Michael and welcome to HA!

I read and LOVED Greener Pastures and highly recommend it to fans of horror.

Best of luck to you. :)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments Charlene wrote: "Hi, Michael and welcome to HA!

Best of luck to you. :)"

Thank you, Charlene! It's possible I have your review taped to my refrigerator. :)

message 4: by Char (last edited Jun 28, 2016 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michael wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Hi, Michael and welcome to HA!

Best of luck to you. :)"

Thank you, Charlene! It's p..."

LOL I'm honored and you're too kind. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "I'm new to this lovely group (and already bought a book based on a recommendation I saw!) but wanted to shout a little bit about my debut short fiction collection, Greener Pastures, which was put o..."

It's on my wishlist and I hope to get to it soon!

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments Thank you, Andrea!!

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Reading it now, and I'm blown away!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Reading it now, and I'm blown away!"

Wow! Thank you, Jon!!

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 262 comments Well, if Char and Jon say to read it....

This does sound really good. Nice job on the cover, too. :)

I'll pick up a copy.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments Valancourt Books wrote: "Well, if Char and Jon say to read it....

This does sound really good. Nice job on the cover, too. :)

I'll pick up a copy."

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. The artist is Michael Bukowski, an incredibly gifted artist.

message 11: by Valancourt Books (new)

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 262 comments My copy arrived in the mail today. Looking forward to checking it out during my mini-vacation next week.

message 12: by Daniel (last edited Jul 09, 2016 01:38PM) (new) - added it

Daniel Barnett | 239 comments Picked this up on Kindle the other day and I'm really enjoying it! Looking forward to reading more.

Valancourt Books wrote: "My copy arrived in the mail today. Looking forward to checking it out during my mini-vacation next week."

Ryan, I think you're going to dig this one.Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Wehunt (michaelwehunt) | 8 comments Thanks, you two! And Charlene!