Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > The Lions of Al Rassan

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9173 comments As I began to share before, this book is loosely classified as "fantasy" as what is fantastical about it, appears to be warring cultures or factions, of religions and communities that have never existed, in areas that have also been invented. At the heart of it, is about the lions and the lionesses, fierce and complicated warriors, who have to prove, test, and betray their loyalties. There are no right answers here. Families, religions, government, kings, survival, love, and friendship. And lets not forget honor. Characters have to plot, kill, and make friends on the wisp of the wind, and as the tides of politics, war, and honor change. Honestly, there were too many characters, and too many warring factions to keep straight. But it was a fun ride to watch the main few circle around each other, and find their destinies each and together. I liked the characters, and the spunk, spirit, and humor of each. I liked the complicated family dynamics, and I loved the women. Jehane, Miranda, Zabira, and even Eliane. These are spunky lionesses, who, as I indicated in the last time I wrote about this, show us what happens when a woman is in charge. she is strong, clear headed, fair, family first, fore-thinking, brilliant, and beautiful, all at once, while the men go off half cocked, acting aggressively, temperamentally, and with aggression and violence in the name of honor. Does this sound like our current political landscape? I will tell you, I'd much rather have Miranda in charge any day. She births a calf, humiliates the gang leader and his men who come to rape and kill her family, and then manages her husbands future and puts dinner on the table, all within a few hours and a few pages. The mens motivations and alliances make no sense, are impossible to follow, and serve nothing but confusion to the plot. But the women are clear, purposeful, determined, and graceful, all at once. As I've said, I think it should have been called the Lionesses of Al Rassan. It was long and winding, but I enjoyed it. Was even a bit moved at the end. And finished it in time to participate with a tag that I wouldn't have read. So all in all, I am very proud.

Now reading a A Man Called Ove. Really enjoying it so far.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments What's your star rating?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9173 comments I thought I put it in the title - 3 stars. Will that make you and the others crazy? Can I stay in the group?

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Amy wrote: "I thought I put it in the title - 3 stars. Will that make you and the others crazy? Can I stay in the group?"

LOL if they didn't throw me out for giving The Road 2 stars, you're safe!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9173 comments What the heck is the road? Bet I wouldn't have liked it either. I'm tough rater and tough critic apparently. I thought they'd throw me out for enjoying Eat, Pray, Love, but someone, I think Jolene, gave me a second on that, so there might have been a temporary reprieve. Lol! Mostly I like historical fiction, contemporary fiction, and a little bit of magic. But I am a harsh critic on Magic. It has to be done well...

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Everyone loved it except me. Well, I loved that it got me a prize in a book swap as the most swapped book since everyone wanted it, and I got to get rid of it, so it was a win-win!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9173 comments Surely half a star! I could barely get through the description without the sure trustworthy knowledge of how much I'd never go near this book. Promise me we will still be friends when PBT gets wise enough to kick me out! Yuck Yuck! Glad everyone seemed to like it. I offered up Rules of Civility which got selected late, but a few swaps nonetheless. I loved it, but it got mixed reviews from PBT. No one seemed to want to swap for the biography I opened, so I felt like I missed out on the fun. But it was sure great to watch! That's where I learned about the Lions of Al-Rassan. Watching it get swapped around.

message 8: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I also hated The Road; I'm pretty sure I didn't even finish it. I was the one who also like Eat, Pray, Love. Not exceptional literature, but an enjoyable read for me.

However, I did love Lions though. It is loosely based on the story of El Cid --- which I haven't read. We certainly all have different tastes and reactions to books -- that's why we like to discuss them

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6672 comments annapi wrote: "Amy wrote: "I thought I put it in the title - 3 stars. Will that make you and the others crazy? Can I stay in the group?"

LOL if they didn't throw me out for giving The Road 2 stars, you're safe!"

HA HA HA, annapi, you crack me up.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6672 comments Amy wrote: "Surely half a star! I could barely get through the description without the sure trustworthy knowledge of how much I'd never go near this book. Promise me we will still be friends when PBT gets wise..."

I loved Rules of Civility and The Road!!

message 11: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Anita wrote: "Amy wrote: "SThe Lions of Al-Rassanurely half a star! I could barely get through the description without the sure trustworthy knowledge of how much I'd never go near this book. Promise me we will still be friends when P..."

I loved Rules of Civility and The Road!! *

I loved both of those books and am sad that I missed out on the discussion on The Road.

The only book I've read by Kay is Ysabel which I didn't particularly care for. I realized it's his poorest rated book so have put Tigana and The Lions of Al-Rassan on the TBR - will probably try to read Lions as it's available from the library and Tigana is not.