Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 75 best books of the past 75 years - Patchett

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Jun 28, 2016 04:38AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Interesting list that you can find at this link (annoyingly it has to be opened in a PDF file.)

http://bookriot.com/2016/06/27/100740/

For next month, both The Autobiography of Malcolm X and On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft are on it.

I feel a little happy to see The Secret History there . . .lol.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments An interesting list. I've only read eight of them.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I've been seeing this on FB, I've only read 8 too. I also want to read the 2 Anita mentioned from this list sooner rather than later.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Interesting list. I haven't even heard of a couple. Also, I have only read 17. Seems I have some catching up.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments I have read 25 of them. There's some I really want to read . . .a couple from our PBT list that I haven't yet read and the St. Aubyn books. I know the whole thing will be tainted in Nicole D's eyes when she sees The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao on there, lol.

Interested in exploring some of the short story collections . . .

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I was surprised to see Nine Stories over Catcher in the Rye, but the article explained why they chose some of the books. 8 honestly can't remember a single story from Nine Stories though. It has been a long time though. Also, as an FYI, it only considers books first published in English.

message 7: by Jen (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:35AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Interesting. I've read 25 too and own another 15.

Book Riot and I have a poor record when it comes to recommending books (I will be ranting about a book riot recommended book later today when I formulate my thoughts about a book) but I have a better record with Patchett and some of the books on her list are favorites of mine. I will file it away for future reference

message 8: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I've read 2! Go me! Haha, I've barely even heard of most of them.

message 9: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3058 comments Someone posted this list on List Challenges, if you are interested in checking them off.

http://www.listchallenges.com/parades...

I've read 20. I thought some of the choices were interesting.

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8917 comments I've read only 19.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8917 comments AJ wrote: "I've read 2! Go me! Haha, I've barely even heard of most of them."

LOL! Curious which two...

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 333 comments I've read 20 but I do own several more . I guess I need to get to them.

message 13: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3831 comments Hmm. I've only read 10/75. There are a lot of these I've never even heard of also! Only a few are on my radar.

message 14: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments LibraryCin wrote: LOL! Curious which two..."

Oh look! It's actually 3... I missed one.

They are:

Charlotte's Web
Fahrenheit 451
Harry Potter Boxset

message 15: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments 11 out of 75 for me. Some I've heard of but don't even want to read!

message 16: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read 19

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I've read 15.

message 18: by annapi (last edited Jun 29, 2016 07:03PM) (new)

annapi | 5129 comments I've read 13. I really have issues with putting children's books in lists like these. And IMO Charlotte's Web wasn't all that great. Nor Where the Wild Things Are. And Mastering the Art of French Cooking - really? Cookbooks just don't belong.

message 19: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I did find it strange that the list included Where the Wild Things Are. There are so many fabulous picture books in the last 75 years. To narrow it to one? They need their own list.

message 20: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1496 comments 28 read or attempted.

I LOVE Nine Stories

message 21: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments I've read 3.5....wow, lame. But I was surprised and happy to see Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson on there. Excellent and a must read for teens, guys as well as gals.

message 22: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I'm in with 19 as well. There are actually quite a few that I haven't heard of, especially the short story collections. Short stories really aren't my thing :-D

I have a number of them on my radar or already own them.

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I was interested to see how a list from Australia might differ. Here's 101 of the 'best' books, published by Dymocks, a major book retailer here, and voted for in an online poll. Some great, and not so great, books in this list. Some additions make me cringe!!! http://m.thenewdaily.com.au/entertain...

message 24: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Actually, here's this year's list - https://www.dymocks.com.au/top-101

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read 12.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Interesting. I have read more on the Australian list. It seems like a more contemporary list.

message 27: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (romansgirl) | 87 comments Wow! I've read 26 on the Australian list. As opposed to never even hearing of a number of books on the US list.

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments I have read 28 on the Australian list . . .so a lower percentage than I read on Patchett's list. But a big difference between a list voted on by real readers and a list curated by a single author!

message 29: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I've read 13 on the Australian list and I am planning to read several more... I have heard of almost all of them though

message 30: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 02, 2016 06:21AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read 49 on the first Australian list and 42 on the second.

message 31: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I've read 32 of the books on the 2016 Australian list but have heard of most of them. I thought it was interesting that one was a coloring book :-D

Definitely a different take since the parameters of the first list were one book per year.

message 32: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I've read 11 of them plus 2 more that I never finished because I didn't like them.

message 33: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I've read 27 from the Patchett list with another 4 on the TBR. One of the books I'm considering for this month was on the list All Over But the Shoutin'.

34 from the Australian list.

message 34: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments I've read 28 from the Australian list, but there are some more I've started and have not yet finished.

message 35: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8917 comments I've read 34 on the Australian list posted by Susie. Way more than the 19 on the other list.