What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dark contemporary fantasy heroine has spider growing in her hand [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joneen (last edited Jun 28, 2016 03:33AM) (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 9 comments Genre - dark contemporary novel with fantasy/paranormal elelments, possibly some horror elements
Target age group - possibly YA, but more so NA
Year: I read this in 2004 or 2005, and I came across it in an airport bookstore, so I think it had been recently released.
Plot - can't remember a whole lot, the main character is female, she has a friend, and she is mainly being mentally plagued and having weird experiences throughout the book - experiences which I can't remember if they were supposed to be hallucinations or a paranormal/fantasy element. I also think there was a lesbian element to her relationship with her friend? Having such a hard time remembering, but it was not in a romantic way - it was more like she was unsure of herself, and her friend was controlling and steered the relationship. I think there may have been a male character as well, who might have been a love interest in the sense that the main character is unsure of herself, and a hetero relationship was more socially acceptable, and he was her only option for a "normal" romantic relationship. But I may be remembering incorrectly.
The thing that really sticks out to me plot-wise was that throughout the whole book the main character had an infection of some kind growing in one of her hands, matching her increasing paranoia and mental disturbances, and toward the end it came open and a spider came out of it.
That's everything I can remember! I can't remember anything of the title or author. If I remember any additional details I'll post them.
Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Silk? The main character's name is Spyder and she tells stories about spiders, so maybe that's what made me think of this...

message 3: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 9 comments Yes!! And no, lol. When I saw Spyder spelled that way, it seemed SUPER familiar, but the title didn't ring a bell at all. I looked it up, and it definitely didn't seem right, but the name Spyder seemed so right, and the author's name also seemed pretty familiar. But Silk was published quite awhile ago, I couldn't imagine it being in airport bookstore in 2004/5, they usually only carry recent releases.

Then I noticed it was the first in a series, so I looked at the 2nd book, Murder of Angels, and it was published - guess when? - 2004. :D I read some from the sample, and it's definitely the one!

THANK YOU, this has been a brain itch I've had for several years now and haven't been able to figure out! I'll file this as solved and shelve both books. :))

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Hooray! I love Kiernan's books. Glad to help!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36029 comments Mod
Murder of Angels by Caitlín R. Kiernan for the link.

message 6: by Joneen (new)

Joneen (belovedjg) | 9 comments Oh, right! Thanks, Kris :)

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36029 comments Mod
You're welcome. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Silk (other topics)
Murder of Angels (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Caitlín R. Kiernan (other topics)