Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Previous Monthly Reads > July: The Night Circus

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for our July group read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Paul Looking forward to seeing what any new readers of this think :-)

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 151 comments It's not on my shelf and I'd find it hard to squeeze in another one in summer. Enjoy!

Margo I'll be happy to listen to it again :-)

Serf This is such a great book. The magic is so well described

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1 comments I am so excited to read this book, I tried before to read it before but I'm looking forward to trying again!

SherryRose | 0 comments I can't compare this to another book. It's a treasure. :)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I know alot of us love this book but maybe don't overhype it for the time being. It always ends in disappointment.

Paul Thats always the danger.
Guys its full of plot holes and is terribly structured (I swear)

Helena | 1 comments Loved this book! Took a while to get into but so glad I stuck with it!

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Can't wait to reread it my timehop reminded me it was last year i read it for the first time.

SherryRose | 0 comments Paul wrote: "Thats always the danger.
Guys its full of plot holes and is terribly structured (I swear)"

Yea...what Paul said..LOL!

message 13: by Cati (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cati I read The Night Circus a few years ago with my book club. I wouldn't mind reading it again. I liked it a lot, but it is very descriptive and sometimes I feel like overly-descriptive wording gets me bogged down and I can't "see the forest for the trees", if that makes sense. I may have missed some great parts because I was paying too much attention to the detail. :)

Karen (book-vixen) | 3 comments I have requested this book from the library and went on it, what its like everyone give me some idea lol

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Started this the other day. I've reread it a few times since I first read it but it's been a while. One of the things I really like is actually the production value of the book. The whole layout of the book from the cover to the pages breaking up the section was clearly given alot of thought, tying in well with the storyline.

SherryRose | 0 comments Karen wrote: "I have requested this book from the library and went on it, what its like everyone give me some idea lol"

Karen, I hope you like it as much as I do. I think it's beautifully done.

Trelawn 100 pages in and enjoying it so far. Characters are intriguing and I curious to see where it is all going.

message 18: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Had you not read it before Trelawn?

Trelawn No. First time for me

Margo I'm enjoying this even more the 2nd time around. I think it's easier to enjoy when you know the story. I was a little bewildered by all the moving in time when I first listened to it - my brain definitely works best in a liniar fashion; -)

message 21: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I'd imagine it's a book that works quite well on audio (jumping around in time aside). It's so descriptive.

Trelawn I am just about halfway through and really enjoying it so far. The descriptions are fantastic and I love the atmosphere and tone of the story and the cast of characters is great.

SherryRose | 0 comments Jim Dale reads it beautifully. He's a wonderful narrator.

Margo It works wonderfully on audio and I agree Sherry, Jim Dale is a great narrator. I had hoped to read the kindle version alongside the narration this time - what audible call immersive reading. Unfortunately I got the narration from amazon us and the ebook from amazon uk. The two are not compatible! That is one one confused conpany :-(

SherryRose | 0 comments Oh that's a shame Margo! That would be a great way to read a book.

Trelawn I finished this last night and while I enjoyed it, it didn't live up to my expectation. I think the challenge aspect of the book let it down slightly but still a good read

message 27: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Was it built up to much maybe ( I've only been recommending it two years ;-))

Trelawn No I think I just got giddy at the start because the premise was good and the characters interesting and I kept waiting for the big moment that never really arrived

Trelawn But yeah we can still blame you : )

message 30: by Serf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Serf The big moment was with the fire though near the end? No? Where's the romantic in u trelawn? Lol

SherryRose | 0 comments We should have underplayed our love for the book lol This is one of my favorite books. I loved every minute of it. Not everyone will feel the same. I'll try to behave in the future...Actually, I should have underplayed my dislike for The Little Red Chairs on the other thread. I hated that one as much as I love this one. Maybe I'll have lukewarm feelings for a future group read. If not, I'll probably state my feelings as strongly as I always do lol. I apologize in advance!

Trelawn Don't get me wrong. The fire episode did have me for a bit and I was genuinely worried about the characters but overall.... I don't know. I just don't think it's a story that will stay with me very long.

message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The spoiler thread is now open. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

MaWhit  (mawhit) I read this in January and loved it. I know I'm coming in late, but I'm still hopeful to fit in a re-read before the end of the month.

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1143 comments Just finished this and I'm in the same boat as Trelawn. I thought it started off with amazing potential but kind of...fizzled out towards the end. Still enjoyed it and gave it four stars.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Circus (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Erin Morgenstern (other topics)