Play Book Tag discussion

An Excellent Mystery (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #11)
This topic is about An Excellent Mystery
19 views
Archive: Other Books > An Excellent Mystery by Ellis Peters, Brother Cadfael book 11 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7349 comments The war between vying rulers continues in this installment of the Brother Cadfael mystery series. After a fire has razed an abbey in Winchester, two monks straggle in, one obviously weak and injured. Brothers Humilis and Fidelis are given refuge, but it's not long before the search is on for Brother Humilis' former fiancee, who chose to become a nun after his crusades injury, which has rendered him unable to keep a manor nor a wife, released her from the agreement made when she was only five.

This is one of the better Cadfael books, and if you have not yet read any, while you can pick up the series at any time, because each mystery is self-contained, it is best read in order as both the war and the characters are growing older, and if not that, at least read the first two books before any others.


Booknblues | 6658 comments Karin wrote: "The war between vying rulers continues in this installment of the Brother Cadfael mystery series. After a fire has razed an abbey in Winchester, two monks straggle in, one obviously weak and injure..."

I love this series. :)


message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Me too! I was so bummed when it ended, but at least she gave it some closure before she passed away.


Karin | 7349 comments annapi wrote: "Me too! I was so bummed when it ended, but at least she gave it some closure before she passed away."

Good to know since I plan to slowly read through the rest of this series.


message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Karin wrote: "Good to know since I plan to slowly read through the rest of this series."

It's still open-ended, but at least it ends in a place that doesn't leave you hanging. Now Margaret Frazer's Sister Frevisse series had a planned end as the author was dying and she wanted to give the series closure, so it was much better.


Karin | 7349 comments annapi wrote: "Karin wrote: "Good to know since I plan to slowly read through the rest of this series."

It's still open-ended, but at least it ends in a place that doesn't leave you hanging. Now Margaret Frazer'..."


Okay, good to know. I'll continue with Brother Cadfael as long as I like them at 3 stars (how much I usually like mysteries) or more.


message 7: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments The Brother Cadfael series and Sister Frevisse series are my favorite historical mysteries, as well as Margaret Frazer's spinoff from the Frevisse series, featuring the player Joliffe. Next to those I like Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series. I highly recommend them.


Booknblues | 6658 comments annapi wrote: "The Brother Cadfael series and Sister Frevisse series are my favorite historical mysteries, as well as Margaret Frazer's spinoff from the Frevisse series, featuring the player Joliffe. Next to thos..."

I liked both the Sister Frevisse and Sister Fidelma series, and read quite a few, My problem is I read them a bit out of order and got confused about which ones I had read.


back to top