Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Cleric as main fantasy character?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Fernau (DavidFernau) | 4 comments I just realized, there have been quite a few books written based around wizards as the main character, but I can only name one series (an old D&D series) with a cleric as the main character. (I'm not counting paladins as clerics.)

I wonder why that is, because I'm also wondering if that means clerics as main characters just aren't commercially viable... or is it something else?

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 34 comments I don't think it would be because they aren't commercially viable. There may be more out there than you know. It might just be that not many people have thought to use them.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski | 30 comments Were you planning to write one? It has been a long time since I played D and D and I preferred to play a thief, so I don't remember what qualities a cleric has. Really, why would you want to write something based on D and D anyway? It's a lot of fun, but in the end, it's a game - how can you create characters your readers will care about when they have to behave in a particular way - in fact, when they have to be cliches?

If you just mean that you want your main character to be a priest of some kind, why not? Depends who his/her God is, of course. :-)

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikerm) | 20 comments Lois McMaster Bujold's World of the Five Gods novels (beginning with The Curse of Chalion) at least tend in this direction. In the latest novella, Penric and the Shaman, the title character Penric is specifically a cleric.