English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > July 2016 read-along

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 28, 2016 10:15AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 5224 comments Mod
We have 4 books so far to read for July they are 1) Fatal Headwind by Leena Lehtolainen and it will be published July 12, 2016. 2) Everything I Don't Remember by Jonas Hassen Khemiri this book will be published July 12, 2016 (Kindle). 3) The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules: A Novel by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg and will be published July 12, 2016. 4) The last book is Dead Joker by Anne Holt published on July 26, 2016. The U.S. is the last to get the books so they should be published everywhere else. As always I will add books as they are published in the U.S.. Good Reading.

message 2: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2479 comments Mod
Ken, having some issues with Anne Holt...getting the series in order. I went and started reading 1222 yesterday which I find out is number 8 in the series. Dead Joker is number 5! Not sure what went wrong as I thought I arranged them correctly when downloaded. Anyway, any comments?
Current list, perhaps it helps someone?
Blind Goddess Hanne Wilhelmsen #1. 2012 iBook
Blessed Are Those Who Thirst, #2. 2013 iBook
Death of the Demon, #3. 2013 iBook
The Lion's Mouth. #4. 2014/16. iBook. √√√
Dead Joker. #5. 2015/2016 iBook
No Echo. #6. May 2016 iBook
Beyond the Truth, #7. 6 October 2016. .....iBook pre order
1222, #8. 2010 iBook
Offline....?

message 3: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 09, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

I read 1222 when it came out in 2011 and have been confused ever since. She's in a wheel chair and then she's not in the other books. Very confusing. What will come next if 1222 is book 8. Will she still be in a wheelchair?

message 4: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Ken wrote: "I read 1222 when it came out in 2011 and have been confused ever since. She's in a wheel chair and then she's not in the other books. Very confusing. What will come next if 1222 is book 8."

Well considering the list above 1222 is number eight and last so far....I had read number four only. Again, I think we readers are experiencing publishers releasing books of SERIES out of order.....really annoys me. Perhaps as translated but they don't do the sales and writer any favors. But anyway I have them downloaded and will carry on then pop back to number one for next. Dead Joker is #5!

message 5: by Ida (new)

Ida Ahlström | 28 comments The next Anne Holt (#9) is Offline by Anne Holt . We get it here in Sweden next week.

I have not read Anne Holt in several years. It's probably time to take her back. I love this group because you are in phase with me. I can read with you, and I can buy most books cheap in paperback.

message 6: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Ida wrote: "The next Anne Holt (#9) is Offline by Anne Holt. We get it here in Sweden next week.

I have not read Anne Holt in several years. It's probably time to take her back. I love this group bec..."

Enjoy. I'm reading my second only, 1222.

message 7: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

New book out is called Blackout by Ragnar Jónasson and will be published July 15, 2016. We're back into Iceland, Quentin Bates translates.

message 8: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments Ken wrote: "New book out is called Blackout by Ragnar Jónasson and will be published July 15, 2016. We're back into Iceland, Quentin Bates translates."

Must read his first one. On my night-table just waiting for me :-)

message 9: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 222 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "New book out is called Blackout by Ragnar Jónasson and will be published July 15, 2016. We're back into Iceland, Quentin Bates translates."

Read the first one Snowblind. Bates did a wonderful job of translating.

message 10: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments Sandy wrote: "Ken wrote: "New book out is called Blackout by Ragnar Jónasson and will be published July 15, 2016. We're back into Iceland, Quentin Bates translates."

Read the fi..."

That's the one i have on my night-table. Will begin after i finish reading My Brilliant Friend for my local book club group. Thanks Sandy.

message 11: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

We have another book by the author of The Swimmer, Joakim Zander, called The Brother published on the 1st of July 2016.

message 12: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I missed this book by Leif G.W. Person which was published the 30th of June 2016, called The Dying Detective.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (heyporkchop) | 3 comments I was wondering if anyone knows if Snowblind will be available to kindle users in the US? I'm in the worst reading slump ever and thought Blackout sounded amazing and I'd love to start the series from the beginning! :)

message 14: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 222 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "I was wondering if anyone knows if Snowblind will be available to kindle users in the US? I'm in the worst reading slump ever and thought Blackout sounded amazing and I'd love to start the series f..."

Hi Amanda. I think it hits the US in Jan. in kindle form. I read the paperback, got it from the local library so maybe that's worth a try?

message 15: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments On GR they say a kindle version was released in 2015. I have a pb copy that was released in 2014. Apparently Snow Blind is the 2nd book in the series. The 1st one is False Note, but has not been released in N.A. yet.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (heyporkchop) | 3 comments Icewineanne wrote: "On GR they say a kindle version was released in 2015. I have a pb copy that was released in 2014. Apparently Snow Blind is the 2nd book in the series. The 1st one is False Note, but has not been re..."

Sandy wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I was wondering if anyone knows if Snowblind will be available to kindle users in the US? I'm in the worst reading slump ever and thought Blackout sounded amazing and I'd love to sta..."

Thank you so much! I ended up ordering the paperback copies! :):):)

message 17: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Amanda wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "On GR they say a kindle version was released in 2015. I have a pb copy that was released in 2014. Apparently Snow Blind is the 2nd book in the series. The 1st one is False Note,..."

Why not search for it on Amazon.com. They will tell you what and when ......

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (heyporkchop) | 3 comments Sharon wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "On GR they say a kindle version was released in 2015. I have a pb copy that was released in 2014. Apparently Snow Blind is the 2nd book in the series. The 1st one..."

Hi Sharon! I did before I posted to the group- I just wasn't sure if I was missing something, they had a few different versions available. :) Snowblind first said not available at all but now you can pre-order it with a delivery date of January 31, 2017 as a Kindle book. Black Out looks like it can be pre-ordered as a paperback with a release date of July 28th, 2016. I couldn't find too much about Night Blind! It sounds like a good series and I'm looking forward to getting into it!

message 19: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Amanda wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "On GR they say a kindle version was released in 2015. I have a pb copy that was released in 2014. Apparently Snow Blind is the 2nd book in the seri..."

Don't know if it works where you reside but many people I know in NA order digital books and indeed also international tv series and films from their library. Usually waiting time but works well for many. Many ePub are download friendly too from various sites. Plus try Kobo or Scrib. Good luck.

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Ken wrote: "I missed this book by Leif G.W. Person which was published the 30th of June 2016, called The Dying Detective.">

message 21: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

New to the U.S. is Carl-Johan Vallgren's book called The Boy in the Shadows published July 5, 2016, from Sweden.

message 22: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 222 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "New to the U.S. is Carl-Johan Vallgren's book called The Boy in the Shadows published July 5, 2016, from Sweden."

Just started this, has a promising start.

message 23: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I'm jealous.

message 24: by Sandy, Moderator (Canada) (new)

Sandy | 222 comments Mod
Wish I could send it to you, Ken.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen | 141 comments Just finished "The Dying Detective". G. W. Leif Persson one of my favourite writers. I loved it. but I do not know where the series goes from here. (People who have read the book will know what I mean). Always on the lookout for new writers and one I am impressed with is The Defenceless

message 26: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 22, 2016 07:04PM) (new)

Got another book Chill the Bones by Sten Ostberg it was out 22 July 2016. Norway. This make 9 books so far for this month alone. Click on: More Books this group is currently reading to see them all..

message 27: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Another book is The Bird Tribunal by Agnes Ravatn iy will be out in the U.S. on July 30, 2016. It's supposedly a psychological thriller. Norway. We may see more of her because she has a lot of books in Norwegian that aren;t translated as of yet.

message 28: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Wow 10 books in July so how many can you read?

message 29: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments Ken wrote: "Wow 10 books in July so how many can you read?"
Never enough :-)