Classics for Beginners discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
Archive 2016 > July 2016: In Cold Blood

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (last edited Jun 27, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Nina | 449 comments Hi all,
as I have some travel obligations the upcoming days, this thread is up a bit earlier than usual.

Our July Group Read is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

This is what Goodreads says about it:
On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.

As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moment, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.

You can find the Wikipedia article about the book here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold...

And an article about the author here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_...

Who is joining the read? Have you ever read it before or is it a first? Any other experience with Capote? Maybe even seen the movie adaptation?

Happy reading everyone, looking forward to reading your comments and thoughts!

Heather L  (wordtrix) I've read it a couple times, and have seen the movie a few times as well. I won't be re-reading this one this month (partly no time, partly because I loaned mine out a few years ago and it never came back), but will be interested to see what others have to say.

CluckingBell Read it in college, so will be following the discussion with interest but don't have time for a reread. I saw PSHoffman's Capote movie, but can't remember if I ever saw an adaptation of In Cold Blood itself...

message 4: by Heather L (last edited Jun 30, 2016 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather L  (wordtrix) CluckingBell wrote: "I saw PSHoffman's Capote movie, but can't remember if I ever saw an adaptation of In Cold Blood itself... "

The movie was filmed in 1967, and is good.

In this adaptation of Truman Capote's seminal true-crime novel, ex-convicts Perry Smith (Robert Blake) and Richard "Dick" Hickock (Scott Wilson) hatch a plan to rob a wealthy Kansas family, the Clutters. The men enter the Clutter home expecting to find a safe filled with cash, but in fact find no money at all. Enraged, they kill the entire family and flee. While on the run, they face not only the realities of their terrible crime but also their own earthly impermanence.

You can see a trailer for the movie here.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I didn't know we read nonfiction in this group.

message 6: by ☯Emily , moderator (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 772 comments Mod
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "I didn't know we read nonfiction in this group."

We read classics and a work could be fiction, non-fiction, essays, historical, etc.

CluckingBell Heather L wrote: "The movie was filmed in 1967, and is good."

Thanks! I checked my Netflix history; I definitely haven't seen it yet. I remember the book pretty vividly, though, so I think I had a lot of mental pictures floating around in my head even before I saw "Capote."

message 8: by Kjs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kjs | 14 comments I have seen the movie but have not read the book. I checked it out from the library today.

message 9: by Skeetor (new)

Skeetor I haven't seen the movie. It took three libraries but found a copy!

Gisela Hafezparast | 116 comments I read this a couple of years ago, but it is still very clear in my mind, both for the quality of it's writing, the horrific telling of the crime and despite this, my real sense of compassion for the perpetrators of this crime. I can remember thinking that of course nobody "made" them do it, their no-chance life made society as much a guilty perpetrator of this crime as the two guys who were convicted. Also thought Capote did an excellent job with describing the reaction to the crime of the community excellently.

message 11: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil J | 73 comments A good companion read is The Executioner's Song

message 12: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj | 51 comments This is the first Capote work I've read, my take on the book.
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil J | 73 comments Dj wrote: "This is the first Capote work I've read, my take on the book.

Now this book is considered amongst the best if not the best true crime novel of all time.
Being a work of non fiction it's a grim sto..."

Interesting thoughts, DJ. I loved this book in my late teens, when I felt like I was outside society. Maybe I would like it less now that I have a well-established niche with work and family.

message 14: by Dj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dj | 51 comments Phil wrote: "Dj wrote: "This is the first Capote work I've read, my take on the book.

Now this book is considered amongst the best if not the best true crime novel of all time.
Being a work of non fiction it's..."

The book moved me, I felt horrible after reading this. The murders over practically nothing, it just stays in your head for weeks and I couldn't help but feel bad for the four innocent souls. Sad, but powerful story.