Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Nominations > July Nominations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now open for our July book selection. Quick reminder of the rules for nominating.

1. As their is no quarterly nomination this month, nominated books may be by authors of any nationality.
2. Each member may only nominate one book.
3. Authors are reminded they are not permitted to self nominate.
4. When nominating please use either the add book function or include a link to the book's Goodreads page.
5. To ensure books are accessible and affordable for everyone people are encouraged not to nominate recent releases, or books only available in hardback.
6. I will be checking how available books nominated are and will flag any books which people may have difficulty accessing. If I'm concerned about the accessibility of a book, it can still be nominated but will be flagged so people can make an informed decision in the poll.
7. Only nominations for the quarterly read posted in this thread will be accepted. Do not PM me with your nomination. It will not be accepted.
8. The poll will open on Saturday. The book with the most votes at the end of the poll will be selected.
9. Nominations will remain open until midnight GMT on Friday 24th July. For those outside Ireland/UK that's
New York: 7.00pm
LA: 4.00pm
Sydney: 11.00am, 25th July

message 2: by Margo (new)

Margo Can i nominate Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee This is a dark and violant story set in south Africa. The central charactor if a college lecturer who is sent away from his college for behaviours unbecoming. With nowhere to go he decides to spend some time with his estranged daughter, helping out at her plantations. It is a sad and brutal story and it captivated me completely.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mahon | 1 comments Nominating Made for You by Melissa Marr.

When Eva Tilling wakes up in the hospital, she’s confused—who in her sleepy little North Carolina town could have hit her with their car? And why? But before she can consider the question, she finds that she’s awoken with a strange new skill: the ability to foresee people’s deaths when they touch her. While she is recovering from the hit-and-run, Nate, an old flame, reappears, and the two must traverse their rocky past as they figure out how to use Eva’s power to keep her friends—and themselves—alive. But while Eva and Nate grow closer, the killer grows increasingly frantic in his attempt to get to Eva.

For the first time, New York Times bestselling author Melissa Marr has applied her extraordinary talent to contemporary realism. Chilling twists, unrequited obsession, and high-stakes romance drive this Gothic, racy thriller—a story of small-town oppression and salvation. Melissa’s fans, and every YA reader, will find its wild ride enthralling.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:59AM) (new)

Paul Have we read Night Circus before in the group .
If not I nominate The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
I know we've a few fans here and this book is simply stunning.

Plus its a while since we've had any fantasy

message 5: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I have read the Night Circus and love it sooo much. I can still hear it in my head and sort of feel it. It was such a memorable book for me.

message 6: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments i'm on mobile so can't add link
miss peregrine's home for peculiar children.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Paul I don't believe we have though alot of us have read it independently.

message 8: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments wouldn't mind a reread of night circus though.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Its a book you can read ten times over I think.
Grand. I had checked the bookshelf but wasn't sure still.

message 10: by Paul (new)

message 11: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Night Circus is a beautiful book.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Paul wrote: "And link added for Emmas -
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children"

Thanks Paul

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Thought you'd like it Sherry ;-)

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo Oh I loved The Night Circus! I got it from the library so I'd probably have to queue to get again. Also have been meaning to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for ages.

message 15: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Margo, the audio is very well done. If I remember right the narrator is Jim Dale. He's one of my favorites. I'd be more than happy to redo this book in any form. (As if my profile pic doesn't give me away!)

message 16: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Paul wrote: "Thought you'd like it Sherry ;-)"

Very much so!

message 17: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments Awkward I finished the book, within 4 hours of nominating it. The trailer is what pushed me to get it read after putting it off since i purchased and meet the author last summer,

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul We have a copy of Miss Perigrine on the shelves somewhere. Might be the required push.

message 19: by Serf (new)

Serf Two great nominations in there

message 20: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 152 comments I'd be happy with any of those. I've already requested them from the library. Didn't get round to reading Time and Time again, my library cancelled my hold for some reason. This book was nominated last month by someone but I hear fantastic things about it, Cutting for Stone.

message 21: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I thought the audio of the Night Circus was really good as well and did half and half. When I read it myself I could hear the voices from the narrator. It was really good.

message 22: by Clare (last edited Jun 23, 2016 03:43AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments I have just finished Nowhere Girl
Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4) by Ruth Dugdall
about ex-pat life in Luxembourg and what happens when a teen girl goes missing at a carnival.
Worth a look and I would be happy to discuss it in a group read.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Just a query Clare, its shown as the 4th in a series , so would it work without reading any of the previous books

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Reminder nominations close tomorrow.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Margo wrote: "Can i nominate Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee This is a dark and violant story set in south Africa. The central charactor if a college lecturer who is sent away from his college..."

Margo, we read this book. I believe it was one of Allan's nominations but I could, and often am, wrong on that part. It was an incredibly moving story.

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Susan it may have been nominated before but it's never been selected.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Maybe we did it as a buddy read. Cathleen and Barbara, do you remember?

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I think a few people in the group have read it individually Susan but it's never been read by the group either as a monthly read or buddy read.

message 29: by Margo (new)

Margo If a lot of you have I'll withdraw the nomination. I might force my live bookclub to read it instead! It's a woderful book, and would make for great discussion. I don't think it stand up against some of the competition here anyway, though to be fair it is in a different league. A bit depressing though ;-)

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Only a few people have Margo. I think you can leave it. It will provide a but of additional variety in the poll for people.

message 31: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments Susan wrote: "Maybe we did it as a buddy read. Cathleen and Barbara, do you remember?"

Hi--late to the discussion. I don't remember it as being a group read. I read it years ago before I was in GRI :).

message 32: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Ah sure I'll go ahead and nominate http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23.... It's a book about books which should be ideal July reading material

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Trelawn wrote: "Ah sure I'll go ahead and nominate http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23.... It's a book about books which should be ideal July reading material"
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Trelawn wrote: "Ah sure I'll go ahead and nominate http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23.... It's a book about books which should be ideal July reading material"

Sounds like a fun rad for July

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) There are 6 hrs left to nominate.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Nominations are now closed. The poll will open shortly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.