Reading List Completists discussion

The Blind Assassin
This topic is about The Blind Assassin
Group Reads > The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1736 comments Mod
Discuss The Blind Assassin here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Looks like we have a few members currently reading this - great!

I am thinking of passing. My wife said she didn't care for it and in general I can trust her to know what I like. I know, I know . . . maybe I am missing something and I should give it a go . . .

message 3: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) I've only read the MaddAdam trilogy of her which I loved.. So I'm looking forward to it!

message 4: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) Is anyone else reading this? I'm struggling a little bit with getting into the book ... But I would still like to finish it. If only it didn't still feel so much like a chore. (I'm only about 80 pages in).

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

I have heard this several times before. It makes me wonder when the "Must read" comes in? I am too scared to give it a try! ;)

message 6: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) I think unless someone comes along assuring me it'll be worth it, I'll give up on this one. I've made it to about 25%/130 pages and I still find all storylines more or less uninteresting. So, I don't know... I'll have to try another work of hers. I truly loved Oryx & Crake (all three books), but this one just doesn't click with me at all.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) I would have read any of the other choices. Unlike the majority, I didn't care for A Handmaid's Tale and am reluctant to try the the writer's work again so I am sitting this one out. Besides, I don't know how I will get The Stand done by Sept 1 unless I devote more time to it.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new)

Beth - for this group, The Stand is going through October 1st (hopefully I have it marked that way!).

I understand being nervous about trying another book by an other if you have already tried another and not enjoyed it. This one I am not trying because I trust my wife's opinion!

message 9: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) I had high hopes for The Handmaid's Tale, but after this one, I'm not sure. It seems like many people loved The Blind Assassin as well. Which is strange. I've gone ahead and skipped through it alongside a summary (tends to be my solution for books I struggle with but don't want to abandon) and based on that, I think it's a fine book. Just weighed down by a ton of details that don't seem to be relevant in the end and somewhat unengaging writing. Given the structure and plot, I get why some critics rate it highly, but I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would love it in terms of making an emotional connection with the book. It just feels cold and distant to me....
I'll give The Handmaid's Tale a trial one day for sure, but it's not as high priority to me anymore.

I'd absolutely recommend Oryx and Crake to anyone interested in dystopian sci-fi looking for something a little more literary than the usual scifi-thriller or young adult novels in that genre.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) Matthew, thanks! That does take the pressure off some. I am enjoying The Stand but since I bought the extended version, I am faced with 1300 pages. October 1st is definitely doable! (o:

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 45 comments I love Atwood. I just need to wait for an open slot on my library hold list to get it.

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clark Beth wrote: "I would have read any of the other choices. Unlike the majority, I didn't care for A Handmaid's Tale and am reluctant to try the the writer's work again so I am sitting this one out..."

I'm in this same exact boat! Maybe I just don't get Atwood??