The Book Basilisks discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
July 2016 Book Discussions > July Group Read: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ayunda (ayundabs) Hey guys! So finally after nominations and a poll, the book that has the most votes is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott! Here is where you discuss your thoughts on the book and report your progress to the rest of the group members. Have fun!

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet....

message 3: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments So Little Woman's the winner! Since I'd read it, I guess I'll read Good Wives by the same author because my version of Little Women is divided into two volumes.

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments Jodi wrote: "Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet...."

Me too Jodi, maybe we could do a buddy read instead since I've already read this too?

message 5: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments I bet you both gonna read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah!

I hope you both still have time to join the discussion next month. : )

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet...."

Me too Jodi, maybe we could do a buddy read instead since I've already read this ..."

Perfect!!

Ayunda (ayundabs) Aww then who's gonna read this with me? I've read it as well, but it's been quite a long time since I did.
We can still talk about the book, though! When did you first read it, and what did you think of it?

message 8: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 91 comments I've actually read a little bit of this a while ago but never completed it , so I'm hoping now that it's the book of the month , that will encourage me to finish it.

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments Jodi wrote: "Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet...."

Me too Jodi, maybe we could do a buddy read..."

Yay!! :)

message 10: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Ayunda and Sara, I'd finished read in on March this year. So I still remember it, maybe not quite detailed. And as I said, I'm gonna read Good Wives which is the next volume of Little Women. Because I saw review in the GR talking about March's girl when they are adult. I was confused. Later I found out that the original version is very thick. My version is divided into two volumes. So I'm still joining the discussion for next month. : )

Btw, what about the version of your book?

message 11: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet...."

Me too Jodi, maybe we could do..."

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) wrote: "Jodi wrote: "Such a great book! I guess I'll go to our group bookshelf and select something i havent read yet...."

Me too Jodi, maybe we could do..."

Check this book riot list:
http://bookriot.com/2016/06/23/who-wh...

Ayunda (ayundabs) @ people who are thinking of picking something else up: that book riot list looks super fun! Maybe choose some interesting ones and nominate them for next month's group read so we can all read it? in this month maybe you can read the books we read before: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

@ Eka: I have heard about Good Wives but I've never read it! Let me know what you think of it!

My edition of Little Women was my grandmother's so it's super duper old. The papers were so fragile and brown that my fingers would smell like old paper after reading it. It made the whole reading experience much better!

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments I think that's a great idea Ayunda!

message 14: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
With the advent of fall and the holidays, i hope we nominate seasonal reads-- likesay a fall-themed, holiday,and/or winter- themed choice!!

message 15: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments @Ayunda That is the real classic!!! if it's so old then it might include Good Wives in it. Who knows.

@Jodi Yes! I agree with you. We can try seasonal themed. It's gonna be fun.

Ayunda (ayundabs) Yes, good idea, Jodi! I love it when we evolve and develop on the group. for next month, maybe a summer-themed nominations?

message 17: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 91 comments I'm a tad bit confused on what a summer themed book would entail, could someone tell me an example.

message 18: by Ayunda (last edited Jun 25, 2016 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ayunda (ayundabs) Well, maybe books set in the summer, or books that would be better to be read during the summer? Or even beach books? Some examples off the top of my head would be We Were Liars or The Summer I Turned Pretty. They probably are the most popular YA ones, but there are lots to choose with!

Danielle (iamhorriblylimited) | 55 comments I love that idea for themed books. :D

message 20: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi | 130 comments Mod
"Beaches" (Conroy?)

message 21: by Bhavya (new)

Bhavya  (saibiscus) I'll read Little Women with you, Ayunda! I just got a copy from the library. :)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Hmm, I don't think I'll be reading Little Women, I have so many other books I want to read and I'm not in the mood for a reread right now... but this is the thread for discussing that book so if you all wanna talk about Little Women, I'll definitely jump in!

message 23: by Sari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sari Herbita (sariherbita) | 8 comments I'm starting now, just got it on gutenberg.
Anyone ?

message 24: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 91 comments I've started it too, but I've only read one chapter so far. This entire month has really consisted of slow reading, mostly bc it's Ramadan...and a little bc I'm lazy :)
But I'm absolutely determined to finish this book!

message 25: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Hi, everyone, how's the Little Women so far? Who's your favorite March sisters?

message 26: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 91 comments It's been going slow since I was busy with Ramadan ending and getting ready for Eid! But I'll try to read more now even tho I'm traveling but I surprisingly read more when I'm away lol. So far though my fav is Jo!

message 27: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments I forgot to say Happy Ramadan and Eid for those who celebrates it. Today's It's the second day of Eid in Indonesia. How about in Saudi Arabia?
Jo is always be everyone's favorite, and so mine. But as the turning pages, I like Beth as well as Amy. Amy is so cute and funny. But I never really liked Meg.

message 28: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara | 91 comments Thank you! Happy Eid for everyone who celebrates it too! It's the second day of Eid here as well. I don't really have any strong feeling about the other characters just yet though.

Ayunda (ayundabs) Happy Ramadan!!! I really liked Jo as well, Eka! I remember her the most from all the sisters. But I think I relate most to Meg, since I am an older sister.

message 30: by Sari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sari Herbita (sariherbita) | 8 comments Happy Eid everyone (I know I'm late, sorry)

87% so far on The Little Women. My favorite is Mrs. March lol

message 31: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia | 53 comments Aw man, I wish that I had been active this month because I've never read Little Women and I've been wanting to read it for a while! I've been so busy though because I just recently got certified to be a scuba diver and I went on vacation to St. Thomas! I will definitely try to participate next month, you guys are so good at picking out books!

message 32: by mollusskka (new)

mollusskka | 58 comments Julia, long time no see. We miss you!!! Congrats on your scuba diver certification. That's awesome!!!