Collegedale Public Library discussion

2016 Reading Challenge > July Challenge

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Green Hicks | 383 comments Mod
What is everyone reading for the July Challenge?

Topics are:

A Caldecott winner

A book that will never win a Pulitzer

A book that will make you smarter

A posthumously published book

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Aug 01, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

Caldecott Winner: Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear Completed 7/6/16
Book that will never win a Pulitzer The Girl in the Spider's Web Completed 7/10/16
Book that will make you smarter: Under the Tuscan Sun Completed 7/31/16
Posthumously published book: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Completed 7/6/16

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 231 comments I'll throw some titles out but we all know how that's worked so far.
1. Hugo.
2. Don't know; almost everything I read.
3. Centered riding.
4. Sandition or salmon of doubt.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Wilson (cletusvandamme) | 178 comments Mod
A Caldecott winner: Jumanji

A book that will never win a Pulitzer: Darling It's Death (Thanks, Nancy, for letting me borrow your stash of these delightfully trashy novels!)

A book that will make you smarter: From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776

A posthumously published book: The Trial

If you're looking for one of the first "zombie" books, check out Ian Fleming's "The Man with the Golden Gun." Such a bizarre failure as an end to the original Bond series.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Suggestions on posthumous? Something modern (not Dragon Tattoo author).

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 231 comments pirate latitude by chrichton. (i looked for a posthumous list on goodreads.)

message 7: by Kelly (new)

2666 is something I pulled up online for modern posthumously published book, Nikki. I have not read it. Could probably get though ILL, as our Library does not own it.

message 8: by Paul (new)

2666 is intriguing but a trifle baffling and odd. The Pale King is David Foster Wallace's (author of "Infinite Jest") final novel that he was writing when he killed himself.

George Carlin's autobiography (which I liked a lot) was published after he died as well. Last Words

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments If it's odd based on Paul's description, I'd better steer clear. :) I will check out the Carlin book. And if all else fails, I'll reread The Diary of Anne Frank. Thanks for the input, guys. :)

message 10: by Paul (new)

Yeah...that's probably a good idea.

I think Malissa and I are going to read the same book for the Pulitzer category: "The Fireman" by Joe Hill. It's supposed to be quite good...but it's never winning a Pulitzer.

message 11: by Sara (last edited Jul 05, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

Sara Kreps | 231 comments Just picked up Hugo for my caldecott selection. there ought to be a page limit on books that earn that award.

message 12: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (kanddmom) | 90 comments Sara wrote: "Just picked up Hugo for my caldecott selection. there ought to be a page limit on books that earn that award."

Ahh, Hugo is a wonderful book! My daughter and I had the opportunity to see him right after he won the Caldecott, in Illinois. Amazing talent and very engaging speaker.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (kanddmom) | 90 comments Here's my list for the month.

Caldecott: This is Not My Hat
Making me smarter: Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

And if I have time
Never win Pultizer: NOS4A2

message 14: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 108 comments Sara wrote: "Just picked up Hugo for my Caldecott selection. there ought to be a page limit on books that earn that award."

I second Barbara's statement! Selznick is beyond amazing and should get an automatic Caldecott for each new book! I love The Invention of Hugo Cabret but might like his newest one (The Marvels) even more.

But if anyone needs a shorter winner, they can always join me in a reread of A Ball for Daisy. Not a single word in that one to bog you down ;)

And what Paul said about The Fireman. Currently reading it as my not gonna win a Pulitzer category.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (kanddmom) | 90 comments For some reason i just cant get my reading mojo going. Must be the heat.

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Could be. There were a few topics this month that can be short reads though, so that has helped me.

message 17: by Paul (new)

The heat is a perfect excuse for reading! Nothing else to do. Anyway, stats have been juked.

1. Caldecott: Jumanji (Lighter and more playful than the dark movie adaptation)
2. Never win a Pulitzer The Fireman (Good entry in the post apocalyptic genre with some pacing problems)
3. Book that makes you smarter: From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776 (For a 1,000 page book, it seems it should be longer. The book argues that American foreign policy was always interventionist, even before the Spanish-American War, but glosses over the 19th century a bit.)
4. Posthumously published book: The Trial (Takes the Hitchcockian concept of a wrongfully accused man and mixes it with Coen Brothers absurdity. Probably worth a re-read in the future.)

message 18: by Malissa (new)

Malissa (libraryblondie) | 108 comments I'm gonna get right on that foreign relations title! Sounds like a good weekend read ;)

message 19: by Gina (new)

Gina Mullins | 26 comments Mod
Deal Breaker for the book that did not win a Pulitzer and The Three Pigs for the Caldecott.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Malissa wrote: "I'm gonna get right on that foreign relations title! Sounds like a good weekend read ;)"

That sounds like a propitious turn of events.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara Kreps | 231 comments Barbara wrote: "For some reason i just cant get my reading mojo going. Must be the heat."

I agree. Working outside all day, by the time get home and get dinner, all I want to do is go to bed.

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Johnson | 113 comments Caldecott-Jumanji/Finding Winnie:The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear
Not a Pulitzer-One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
Make you smarter-Waking Up White, and Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving
Posthumous-A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway