Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Favorite Quotes From Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koren (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2938 comments Mod
Reading After All by Mary Tyler Moore. Love this quote on page 13. She's speaking about being sexually abused at the age of 6:

Strange it is how events that change a life inside and out take no more than a moment-The Dick Van Dyke Show, "Let's get married". "It didn't happen"

She's speaking about telling her mom about the sexual abuse by an uncle and her mother didnt believe her. Something similar happened to me so it really struck me that yes, sometimes a word or phrase can change your whole life.

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 216 comments I can relate. I hit some boys with my lunch box when they tried to kiss me.

My mother asked me: Why did you hit those boys? (this was after I told my parents about the boys kissing me). I felt I was being 'yelled at'. It lead to a lifetime of trust issues.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments More than once I was laid into by a teacher for "allowing" myself to be bullied. More than once, the teacher joined in on what the bullies were doing. Before long I had nothing at all to say for myself.

message 4: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments ? are these quotes from books?
I can't think of any off the top of my head from memoirs/biographies.

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments After the first post in this discussion, Selina, we went off the reservation and started talking about ourselves.

message 6: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "? are these quotes from books?
I can't think of any off the top of my head from memoirs/biographies."

No problem. I dont think I could ever remember something I read a long time ago in a book. We can just keep this conversation going as we read something and just come here to write it down.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments My favorite first line is from Fahrenheit 451:

"It was a pleasure to burn."

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 216 comments Selina wrote: "? are these quotes from books?

Sorry I started the revolt. I'll show myself out.

message 9: by Koren (new)

Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Selina wrote: "? are these quotes from books?

Sorry I started the revolt. I'll show myself out."

It's all good Bel. Stay calm.