Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Show us your Home Office

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (last edited Jun 21, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) This is mine (yes, I let the Queen use it from time to time for tweets). I don't get a lot of work done because I spend most of my time admiring what I've done with the place.

Now, show us yours!

Ken Doggett's photo.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Ken wrote: "This is mine (yes, I let the Queen use it from time to time for tweets). I don't get a lot of work done because I spend most of my time admiring what I've done with the place.
..."

Hi Ken! Love your office! While I'm surprised at your choice of Victorian decor, if you're going to have the Queen over...

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Blimey. Do we got to have a home office?

I dismantled mine when I retired. Now work mostly from the settee

message 4: by Ken (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I always thought I was supposed to have a home office when I became an author. And smoke a pipe while sitting in my home office. And at all times wear a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows while sitting in my home office. But at no time did I think I actually had to write while sitting in my home office. In all the movies I ever saw about writers with home offices, I never saw any of them actually write.

By the way, I'm not sure about proper etiquette when having guests over. If the Queen is there, should I put Queen on the stereo?

message 5: by G.G. (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments haha Love 'your' home office Ken.
I used to have one shared with the hubby. It was on the second story of our house, but with 2 gaming computers (very powerful ones that need water cooling system so they don't fry) and another we used as a server and TV along with other little gadgets, that room felt like a sauna during the best days of winter, let alone in the summer.

After nearly ten years of complaining about being too hot, the hubby finally decided to leave our desks up stairs and to buy new desks for the basement. The idea was appealing so I went with it.

Now, I'm freezing my butt all the time. If I lower the air conditioning, he walks behind me and raise it back, sometimes even higher than it was. So I sit with a blanket on my back and miss the sauna. :/

So home office? It feels more like a prison in an igloo than an office to me. And don't make me talk about the 'beautiful' cinder block walls. It's not hard to imagine them as blocks of ice rather than blocks of cement. No I won't post pictures of THIS. :/ As a matter of fact, I think I am going to go sit outside under the warmth of the sun.

(By moving in the basement, I also lost the nice sight of my Indie book shelf. Blah!)

message 6: by Ken (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) G.G. wrote: "And don't make me talk about the 'beautiful' cinder block walls. It's not hard to imagine them as blocks of ice rather than blocks of cement..."

I thought about going with the beautiful Cinder Block motif, but nixed it at the last moment. After all, I don't want the place to be too fancy. It might make my guests feel uncomfortable.

message 7: by J C (new)

J C Steel (jcsteel) Ken wrote: Now, show us yours!..."

Challenge accepted :) apparently great minds think alike, because I ended up blogging about this very topic a few weeks ago - including the Cat Shelf (as Aristotle states we are what we most frequently do...)

http://jcsteelauthor.com/books/innerm...

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments LOL Ken!! If you play Queen when the Queen visits, she will most-likely ask you who they are.

G.G. - My husband does the same thing! If I turn the heat up, he turns it way down. If I turn the A/C down, he turns it way up. Grr...

Hubby and I lived in an apartment for 2 years that was basically in the cellar. I need lots of natural light. No cinder block offices for me. Rip the roof off the house and I'm happy.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "LOL Ken!! If you play Queen when the Queen visits, she will most-likely ask you who they are..."

Don't be too sure. I know she lives in a bubble, but it's possible that she does know what goes on in pop culture. Like me, she's lived through quite a lot of it. In 1965 she met The Beatles and awarded each of them the M.B.E. (Member of the Order of the British Empire). Paul McCartney was knighted, and so was Mick Jagger. Queen as a group is probably at least as famous as those two.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Bill Gates is listed (or ranked) 3 on the list 33 Famous People Who Have Been Knighted

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) And who could forget Captain Jean-Luc Picard:
Patrick Stewart is listed (or ranked) 8 on the list 33 Famous People Who Have Been Knighted

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Ken wrote: "And who could forget Captain Jean-Luc Picard:
"

Right on both counts, Ken. Queen and Captain Picard indeed. And let's not forget Sir Elton John and Sir Alec Guinness. Hmm... she's quite the eclectic social butterfly.

message 13: by Ken (last edited Jun 21, 2016 05:00PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Sir Alec Guinness, Obi Wan Kenobi of Star Wars. Obviously, the Queen loves Science Fiction and Rock Music.

message 14: by G.G. (last edited Jun 21, 2016 05:37PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I gave up this: (my view from the window in our old home office)

description
for cinder blocks. :/

message 15: by Martin (new)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments G.G. wrote: "I gave up this: (my view from the window in our old home office)
for cinder blocks. :/"

Oh, no, that's not fair! So sorry G.G.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Martin wrote: "This is my home office:

http://wilseymc.blogspot.com/2016/04/..."

Martin, you vampire!

message 18: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (last edited Jun 21, 2016 09:00PM) (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod

It may not look like much, but sixty-five more easy payments and it's all mine. Plus, all the bad books I write feel right at home here.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Dwayne wrote: "It may not look like much, but sixty-five more easy payments and it's all mine. Plus, all the bad books I write feel right at home here."

Okay, Dwayne, I've heard of bringing a book or magazine into the bathroom... but writing one? Really! On what, toilet paper?

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments Mine's a bit of a fixer-upper that's a pain to navigate, but it does the job, and you get some pretty awesome loot if you can solve the puzzle and defeat the final boss.

photo dungeon.jpg