Classic Trash discussion

Armadale
This topic is about Armadale
Armadale > Armadale: Finished (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1043 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Spoil away!

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 26, 2016 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 920 comments Would you say there are any likeable women in this book? If yes, who and why would you say they are likeable?

Cheryl | 920 comments Who are your favorite characters? Who are your least favorite characters? Explain your choices.

message 4: by Adelaide (last edited Jun 30, 2016 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I really enjoyed this even though the second book was really slow. It's not as good as The Moonstone or The Woman in White, but it has its charms.

Miss Gwilt was my favorite character. I found her to be both deliciously evil and very sympathetic. She dealt with a hard life the best she could, and even though she was a tad too inclined to murder, I loved her. Besides, Armadale was super annoying and Midwinter was a total zero as a husband. I also enjoyed Mrs Oldershaw as someone else who was bad, but eminently practical. Neelie was a drip.

I loved the Pedgifts, and found Dr. Downward and Mr. Bashwood to be a lot of fun. I just wish that Armadale and Midwinter had any tiny bit of their charm. They were the weakest part of the book for me. In my version of the book, Miss Gwilt kills everyone and lives to be a rich old woman who frequently spars with Mr. Pedgift Sr. The end. That would have been great.

Cheryl | 920 comments Adelaide wrote: " In my version of the book, Miss Gwilt kills everyone and lives to be a rich old woman who frequently spars with Mr. Pedgift Sr. The end. That would have been great."

Ha! What an ending that would be.

I agree with you. I didn't much care about Armadale and Midwinter. I thought Neelie wasn't too interesting either. (I didn't like how she got so offended at Armadale, at one point, thinking he was rebuffing her interest in him. Junior high stuff.) The secondary characters were much more interesting.

Miss Gwilt was very interesting. Lots of great lines. (I loved it when she basically told Armadale to shut up about his beloved Neelie.) Too bad she had that murder streak. (It did make the story interesting, though.) She did redeem herself in the end. (I actually was hoping she'd survive and escape.)

I wished the book didn't have so much diary entries and letters in the way it was written. That's just my personal preference, as I like dialogue better. I'm glad I read the book. I had been meaning to for some time, but wanted to read it in a discussion group setting. Thanks for scheduling this one, Adelaide!

My pleasure! I actually like epistolary novels quite a bit, so this was right up my alley.