Fans of British Writers discussion

Group members who write > Edwin Alexander

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin (last edited Jun 21, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Edwin Alexander (eadav) | 4 comments A native of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (‘some hick town in the North of England’ as ‘Dig Two Graves’ Jerri Diaz describes it), a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and a Freeman of the City of London. Retired from a career in high technology business, in the summer I live in the UK, escaping the North European winter for Crete to enjoy the balmy Mediterranean…

My books...

Dig Two Graves - 2016

Private investigator Al Hershey gets more than he bargained for when fellow Vietnam veteran Greg Baum, now a big player in the world of aeronautics, calls in a favour. He asks him to check out a prospective business partner, an enigmatic Asian property tycoon now enjoying life in America. It turns out there’s considerably more than meets the eye to Donald Quang, a man set to unveil the new HQ of the Vietnamese-American Friendship Association, alongside President Ronald Reagan.

Theft of the Master - 2007

Theft of the Master" aims to appeal to the reader seeking more from a novel than a good read. This is an intricate web of a story speckled with an assortment of finely described characters spanning different historical periods and continents. The story moves along at a terrific rate and entices the reader to discover how the circle will be completed. This is the story of an ancient religious icon pilfered at the end of WWII and its consequences for a family and a nation. "Theft of the Master" has all the ingredients of a top class thriller!

You can visit my website too:
http://www.hersheypi.com/

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. I live in Toronto year-round.

message 3: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Alexander (eadav) | 4 comments Hmmm Never been to Toronto. My scant recollection of school geography tells me it's an example of 'continental extremes' - too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Right?

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments Toronto lies on Lake Ontario so it does not get too cold, usually. It gets hot in the summer, and humid. Lately we have had the weirdest weather, for about two years now, when the weather has become more varied-with alternating hot and cold spells. We have people from just about every part of the world coming to live in Toronto and we are proud of our open and welcoming city.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Doesn't Toronto have a big Shakespeare festival, or am I thinking of someplace else? A friend of mine had a wonderful visit there.

message 6: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Alexander (eadav) | 4 comments Yes indeed. See background at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrone_...

Edwin

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments The Shakespearean Festival takes place at Stratford, Ontario, which is about a two-hour drive from Toronto, in a very lovely part of Ontario. Many famous actors and actresses have performed there over the years. That is a great link, Edwin.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Thank you, yes, my friend visited Toronto and then also the Shakespeare festival; she said it was fantastic, and I have always wanted to go there.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments Stratford is on the Avon River, and there are swans and Canada geese. We have way too many Canada geese in Toronto. They have even made nests in mall parking lots, which I find very strange.
I am proud of Toronto because there is a lot to see and do here, but especially because we have a lot of green spaces.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Thanks for telling me it is two hours away. I would love to visit after my friend told me about it. She really liked Toronto and she keeps giving me brochures for the Shakespeare festival!! I go every year to Ashland, Oregon for their Shakespeare festival. She said the Stratford one was equal.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments You must live on the west coast, if you drive to Oregon. The Stratford festival has four stages, with the smaller stages doing more alternative plays. One year they did waiting for Godot, a different year Mother Courage and her Children. We always order our tickets on-line. That way you get to choose your seats. Christopher Plummer started out in Stratford and comes back to perform once in a while.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Yes, I live in San Francisco and I see tons of great theater, but Ashland is always the best. They have a mix of Shakespeare, old favorites, and new modern plays. I usually see five plays in 3 days!!

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments I have never been to San Francisco but my husband was there years ago forma conference. He loves streetcars so he really enjoyed himself.

message 14: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Alexander (eadav) | 4 comments The Bard does turn up some unlikely places. Some 30 users since I was fortunate to see a performance of Hamlet by a small local company in the Q Theatre Penrith - not Cumbria, New South Wales, 30 miles west of Sydney. In general the performance was rather good but I shall never forget the Ophelia which literally brought tears to the eyes of many in the audience, including me.
Unsurprisingly, the theatre has changed...

The Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Complex is in High Street next to the Council Chambers. Named after opera singer Joan Sutherland, the building was designed by architect Philip Cox and opened in 1990. It incorporates the Penrith Conservatorium of Music and the Q Theatre (Penrith), which had been operating in Station Street for 30 years before moving to the complex in 2006.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments It is always heartening to see theaters and music centres thriving is small places, not just large centres. The two major summer theatre festivals are both within two hours of Toronto. The Shaw Fesitval is held in Niagara-on- the - Lake,Ontario, which is very close to Niagara Falls and the U.S. border. It produces more than just Shaw plays, and this year we saw the play "Engaged" by W.S. Gilbert.