Kenyons Minions discussion

Born of Legend (The League: Nemesis Rising #9)
This topic is about Born of Legend
The League Series > Born of Legend (The League #9)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments “It’s official Take a Psycho to Work Day. Why else would I be here?”

Hunted. Hated. Betrayed. Dagger Ixur is on the run for his life. As one of the most recognizable members of his royal house, he has a bounty on his head that guarantees him no quarter from any friend or even family. But surrender isn’t in him. He will fight to the bitter end. A resolve that is sorely tested when he narrowly escapes a trap that leaves him severely wounded. With what he believes is his dying breath, he saves a boy born to an extinct race from a group out to enslave the kid for his legendary abilities.

Ushara Altaan has spent her entire life hating those born to nobility. After all, it was a royal house that drove her entire species into virtual extinction. As a rare Andarion Fyreblood, she is sworn to end the existence of any royal she finds. But when Dagger saves her son’s life, she is torn between her people and a debt that can never be repaid.

Yet worse than Dagger’s family that’s still out to end hers, are the League assassins after him who will stop at nothing to claim the lives of her Tavali family. The only hope she has to save them all is to put their future and her faith into the hands of the very enemy whose grandmother personally extinguished Ushara’s legendary lineage. But how can she ever trust Dagger when he is a disinherited outlaw whose very name is synonymous with betrayal?

message 2: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Alrighty ... so far, I'm only on Chapter 5, and ... wow. Already, some of the background has some major heartbreak to it. =(

K-Gorgeous | 163 comments OMG ='(! That book was sooo good. Can I say BITTER SWEET.
I am soo heartbroken for Jullien yet so happy that things turned out splendidly for him in the end.
Goes to show that not all happily ever afters end in reconciliation.

message 4: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Jun 24, 2016 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Just finished the book this morning ...

... and absolutely LOVED it! =D

First of all, Dagger ... wow. Wow! The revelations about him and his family were simply mind-boggling, (view spoiler)

I loved, loved, LOVED Ushara. The way she continuously stood up for Dagger/Jullien, first to her family and then to his, reminded me somewhat of Tabitha Devereaux.

Just as we learned a lot about Andarion culture in the previous few books, I liked learning about Tavali culture. It was also cool to see yet another first glimpse of a character that appears in BOI (Sphinx).

And I agree, Kimmy. It was good to see that things turn out so well for him in the end. And I kinda get the feeling that he and Nyk will be (sorta) friendly-ish in the future. After all, we know from BOI that Taryn does end up joining the Tavali ... ;)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'm about halfway through. I love how every League book gets better than the last.

Myst | 734 comments Finished.

I wished we would've seen Dagger ghost his grandma looking like her dead lover and scaring the pants off of her every time she turned around. And/or imprisoned her and inflicted at least some of the torments she put others through. For all the hurt she put the universe through, she seemed to have a *really* cushy life instead of being on the run.

And did the phrase about letting them kill themselves and let the gods sort them out sound like a DH phrase? I know I've heard it somewhere, just can't remember if it was League or DH.

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Daniel | 11 comments I absolutely loved this book. Not too many books I have read in my life actually bring tears to my eyes. This book had me in tears like 5 times. I rate this book right up there with Acheron and Styxx. Absolutely love all the characters. Would love to see Nyk and Jules get closer in the upcoming books. Love the Trisani spin to it. And I cannot wait to read about all the children.

message 8: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Myst wrote: "Finished.

I wished we would've seen Dagger ghost his grandma looking like her dead lover and scaring the pants off of her every time she turned around. And/or imprisoned her and inflicted at least..."

LOL, that would have been hilarious, if Dagger could have done that. Well ... at least, I would have been laughing.

You're right, Eriadne didn't really suffer at all. Not even when she met her (well-deserved) fate.

And yes, the phrase "kill them all and let the gods sort them out" appeared a few times in DH. =)

message 9: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Monica wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. Not too many books I have read in my life actually bring tears to my eyes. This book had me in tears like 5 times. I rate this book right up there with Acheron and Sty..."

Totally agree, Monica! =)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments This one was fantastic. I love how every League book gets better.

Also wanted Eriadne to suffer a little more for what she did. But Dagger was no longer the man who could do that to her.

Kill them all and let God/the gods sort it out has been around for ages and ages. It's one of the unofficial Marine Corps mottos too.

Bluerose | 15 comments I loved this book! While it was tragic a lot of the time, it has also many funny moments. I couldn' t put it down

Rebecca Whaley (beckers77) | 386 comments Just finished reading it this morning and OMG it was so good! Dagger definitely broke my heart. Cairistiona passed me off! The pain and abuse she caused to him, even as a baby were intolerable to read!
Ushara was the best! I loved her so much! I wanted her to kick Cairistiona's ass, especially when she kept trying to get her to call her mother.
I loved finding out about Daggers new powers and the Tavali. I wish I knew if Trajen is getting his own book because I so want that! can't wait for Bastian's book!
I need to start buying all these books.

message 13: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Yeah, Cairistiona pissed me off, too. Then again, her actions have really bothered me since Born of Betrayal--specifically the scene where she met Ushara. (I was glad that Ushara shared my sentiment about that scene.)

As a mother myself, I find it difficult to comprehend how a mother can neglect a child--especially an infant--so badly. I know it does happen in actual life, but still.

Personally, I think Ushara had one of the best quotes in the book:
"You had one job ... to protect the child you brought into this world."

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I've never really felt sorry for Cairie. She brought so much of it on herself with the choices she made. Then she kept making the same bad choices and blaming others, rather than taking responsibility for her actions, or lack thereof.

message 15: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Well said, Rachel, and I thoroughly agree. =)

Even when confronted with her choices, she kept trying to shift the blame. I think Nyk had the right of it, when he thought of her as childlike in BON.

Ray (warrior of randomness) XP | 1837 comments why did julien give up Kiara in BON?

message 17: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Ray (warrior of randomness) XP wrote: "why did julien give up Kiara in BON?"

Basically, Jullien was getting back at his parents. To say the least, it wasn't one of his finer moments.

When Nyk (the clearly preferred twin) was reunited with Cairie, Jullien knew that he was majorly screwed. He also knew that Aksel wanted to kill Nyk, and Kiara was supposed to be bait.

Ray (warrior of randomness) XP | 1837 comments so he was still a bad guy on that? okay

didn't cailn also accuse him on trying his rape one of his sisters?

message 19: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Yes and yes. =)

However, the rape accusation was unfounded.

Misty | 83 comments Just finished this yesterday. I liked it, but there are a couple of moments that are a bit unbelievable to me.
(Copying from my review to the book)

First: (view spoiler)

Second (view spoiler)

Aside from this stuff, Jullien's journey was great. It shows that with patience, will and courage, one can change his way, be a better man and shape his destiny the way he wants.
Also, Ushara is my heroine. I think that she's my favourite along with Sumi!

message 21: by Myst (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myst | 734 comments Misty, I agree that some of the 'history' of Jullien is weird.

Blaming a 5 year old for his brother's disappearance is nonsense, except *maybe* in his mother's drugged mind.

Kids/babies cry. Jullien rarely saw his dad, so he might've been a bit confused at being held by a virtual stranger. Why his dad didn't try to get to know the kid better so the kid knows he's a "safe" person to run to is being a bad parent.

Or how about his dad being scared of Jullien because he could hardly understand Jullien speaking and thought Jullien wanted to hurt him. Didn't he see his kid cringing and hiding on the outskirts of everyone trying to be invisible and inoffensive as possible?

Ushara's parents/siblings mostly suck. End of story. Especially her father...what a turd.

Galene pushing Jullien away makes a touch of sense. Jullien reminds his mom of his "dead" brother and she has break downs when she sees him. Galene was trying to keep her happy. It doesn't make it right, but it's at least got a better excuse than anything his dad did.

message 22: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Hagopian (debbisuz) Hi, I'm rather new to the Kenyons Minions group and have a question to ask. I've just started listening to the Born of Legend audiobook. Can anyone tell me what "Mutara" means? I've seen where Jullien calls Ushura this several times. I am pretty sure I recall seeing that in previous books too here and there. I've tried to find out with web searches but no luck.
Thanks for any clarification on the word!

message 23: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Jul 21, 2016 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Hi Debbie! =)

If I understand correctly, "mu tara" (it's actually two words), indicates an unmarried Andarion female.

A married Andarion female is referred to as "Ger Tarra".

Basically, he's calling her "ma'am". =)

message 24: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Hagopian (debbisuz) Charlotte wrote: "Hi Debbie! =)

If I understand correctly, "mu tara" (it's actually two words), indicates an unmarried Andarion female.

A married Andarion female is referred to as "Ger Tarra".

Basically, he's ca..."

Thanks Charlotte!!! That explains alot!! I wish SK would have a glossary of sorts for the various series she has.

message 25: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments No problem. =)

And hopefully, when the new site goes online, there will be such a glossary. ;)

message 26: by Ran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ran | 1 comments mu tara actually means my lady Dancer explains it to sumi in born of fury

message 27: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Ran wrote: "mu tara actually means my lady Dancer explains it to sumi in born of fury"

.... and that would be the more formal and precise explanation. ;)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Ok, I'm in the 1st half of the book and have a question: I swore it said Jullien killed his mom's (I hesitate to call the b*tch that) at 7 and then his grandmother put out the bounty/kill warrant on him. But later he says he was an adult when the warrant came out. I tend to believe that b/c that's a looooonnnnnngggg time to live w/o getting caught since 7. Also, he talks about growing up in the Palace. Anyone remember? Thanks!

message 29: by Hal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hal (hdsreadinglife) | 47 comments He killed his mother's guard(I think it was her guard) but I don't think his grandmother put the warrant out till he was an adult because he did grow up in the palace.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Halee wrote: "He killed his mother's guard(I think it was her guard) but I don't think his grandmother put the warrant out till he was an adult because he did grow up in the palace."

I don't think the Thrill-kill came until his mother came to power.

message 31: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Cindi wrote: "Ok, I'm in the 1st half of the book and have a question: I swore it said Jullien killed his mom's (I hesitate to call the b*tch that) at 7 and then his grandmother put out the bounty/kill warrant o..."

Here's what I remember, Cindi:

The Thrill-Kill wasn't issued for the death of the guard that Jullien killed; if I remember correctly, the guard had been acting on Eriadne's orders anyway. The warrant was issued for a different reason.

The warrant will be explained later in the book. And that's all I can say without giving spoilers. =)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments My next question: if being a hybrid was such a horrible thing, why did J's mom have sex with someone not her species?

message 33: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Cindi wrote: "My next question: if being a hybrid was such a horrible thing, why did J's mom have sex with someone not her species?"

That gets me too!!! But I've deduced Andarions are one confused and mixed up people on that one. I mean I noticed how Galene was all I can't stand humans do to Fain's former wife. And I get she had a point for that. But then when she saw Sumi, she wanted to rip her to bits. Til she was informed she was Dancer's mate and nothing like her sister. And she was suddenly like it's time to throw a baby shower cause Sumi was preggars(or at least that was the vibe I got after things were said and one). So very confusing.

message 34: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Cindi wrote: "My next question: if being a hybrid was such a horrible thing, why did J's mom have sex with someone not her species?"

I don't think that was explained anywhere in the series, other than Aros and Cairistiona fell in love. (And I suspect that neither of them were thinking of the consequences when she became pregnant.) And you know, there's that whole thing about love not knowing any bounds ... ;)

message 35: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Charlotte wrote: "Cindi wrote: "My next question: if being a hybrid was such a horrible thing, why did J's mom have sex with someone not her species?"

I don't think that was explained anywhere in the series, other ..."

But how did they even meet if the Andarions don't even like to interact with humans and vice versa? Should be a novella in regards to that alone.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'd think since they're both royals, they'd have plenty of chances to meet. Royals can't exactly be insular and hope to survive in a galactic economy.

message 37: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Sep 30, 2016 06:31AM) (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I guess so. Although as crazy as Nyk's mom was I would think she would have solely gone to any inter-royaly meetings. Just so no other family member got the drop on her.

Edited to say some hours later:

Meant his grandmother. She seemed to have massive control issues to me.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Frankly, almost NO ONE in an SK book has a great family childhood so you'd think they would straighten their asses up when they became adults!

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Pgs 407-408: On Andria, the role of a male was to keep throwaways in his home, at all costs...For females, it was to protect the sanctity of their bloodlines and lineage, and to keep it sacred.

message 40: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Cindi wrote: "Pgs 407-408: On Andria, the role of a male was to keep throwaways in his home, at all costs...For females, it was to protect the sanctity of their bloodlines and lineage, and to keep it sacred."

Funny you pulled that out Cindi. Every time I would see something about them giving such respect for the females views it always seemed a bit two-faced. Like sure she is to protect the lineage and bloodlines. And yet why was it that Hauk's grandmother couldn't allow for Galene to stay with her for longer after she found out she was pregnant? And didn't the grandfather kick somebody out and the grandmother couldn't do nothing about it? And yet, at the same time grandmothers are the matriarchs enough to bless a new union?

I swear I could be developing a bald spot from all the head scratching SK has me doing on that line of reasoning.

message 41: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - added it

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Cindi wrote: "Frankly, almost NO ONE in an SK book has a great family childhood so you'd think they would straighten their asses up when they became adults!"

Truer words have never been spoken. However I think for some folks certain things are just plainly a character flaw after a while. Rather you are a child or not.

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Protecting bloodlines and lineages means the matriarch has to bless the union or it's invalid. Galene's union with Fain wasn't blessed, therefore it wasn't valid in the eyes of the matriarchs.

You have to approach it as layers, and they build on each other to create the whole of Andarion society. Remove one of the layers, or try to understand it from the top down instead of starting at the bottom, and you'll get lost. Whether you live in the Ichidian universe or our own.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments You are so right, Rachel; thanks for the reminder about peeling the onion.

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Monica wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. Not too many books I have read in my life actually bring tears to my eyes. This book had me in tears like 5 times. I rate this book right up there with Acheron and Sty..."I thought it was very similar in an angsty-sort of way too!

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Charlotte wrote: "Yeah, Cairistiona pissed me off, too. Then again, her actions have really bothered me since Born of Betrayal--specifically the scene where she met Ushara. (I was glad that Ushara shared my sentimen..."
Yes, Ushara's fiery quote was BAD-ASS!

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments I think the League universe is building up to a massive display of good vs evil, with all the new supporters Nyk has now :)

message 47: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Definitely in agreement with you there, Cindi. I'm thinking that this war is going to be EPIC. =)

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 15, 2016 09:13PM) (new)

random comment... but after reading this book I really want a book about Thraix and Mary (not going to attempt spelling her name)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Remember when Ture said that he would rather have Terek stay in the kitchen with him... well

http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/charac...

But I wonder if he does cook for other tavali.

Valentina (valentinazc40) | 20 comments Charlotte wrote: "Definitely in agreement with you there, Cindi. I'm thinking that this war is going to be EPIC. =)"

Omg yees!! I really would like to know the whole story of how they got together. I WOULD LOVE A BOOK ABOUT THEM :)

« previous 1