Homegoing Homegoing discussion

new book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruthmarie Yaa Gyasi's first published novel was the talk of the 2015 London Book Fair and is now available. I couldn't put it down. It traces several generations of two sides of a family from Ghana before and during British colonialism through slavery in the New World through the Civil War and up to modern times. Almost a new "Roots." Excellent.

JerryLee Britt Can someone please explain what Robert was forced to do to Willie in the bathroom of the jazz club? Thank you.

Missy J JerryLee wrote: "Can someone please explain what Robert was forced to do to Willie in the bathroom of the jazz club? Thank you."

I also didn't get that part...... Anyone??

Michelle Missy J wrote: "JerryLee wrote: "Can someone please explain what Robert was forced to do to Willie in the bathroom of the jazz club? Thank you."

I also didn't get that part...... Anyone??"

He was forced to have sex with her in front of his White colleagues for their entertainment.

Missy J Michelle wrote: "Missy J wrote: "JerryLee wrote: "Can someone please explain what Robert was forced to do to Willie in the bathroom of the jazz club? Thank you."

I also didn't get that part...... Anyone??"

He was..."

Michelle, thank you for the clarification. I was confused, but now it makes perfect sense why he couldn't face Willie. Very sad.

Ruthmarie Michelle's interpretation is mine as well. The fuzziness/haziness of the event adds to the pathos. A really moving scene.