The Reader's Bar discussion

All I Did Was Shoot My Man (Leonid McGill, #4)
This topic is about All I Did Was Shoot My Man
20 views
Open for Discussion > July Book Discussion: All I Did Was Shoot My Man

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments/questions about this book below.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Has anyone started reading this one yet? I am hoping to pick it up from the library soon.


message 3: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Mercé | 17 comments I started reading today.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Ingrid wrote: "I started reading today."

How is it so far?


message 5: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Mercé | 17 comments Its ok. Im still within the first few chapters. Once i continue reading a little more I will let you know.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
How do you like this book so far? I hope to start reading it soon.


message 7: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Mercé | 17 comments This is my first time reading this type of book so ill be honest its hard for me to sit down and get into it


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Ingrid wrote: "This is my first time reading this type of book so ill be honest its hard for me to sit down and get into it"

What don't you like about it? What types of books do you usually read?


message 9: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Mercé | 17 comments Denise wrote: "Ingrid wrote: "This is my first time reading this type of book so ill be honest its hard for me to sit down and get into it"

What don't you like about it? What types of books do you usually read?"



Generally I read Eric Jerome Dickey, Terry McMillan, E Lynn Harris, Omar Tyree. Just haven't jumped into it. But I put it on my iPad instead of my phone so that should force me to read it.

Have you started yet?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Ingrid wrote: "Denise wrote: "Ingrid wrote: "This is my first time reading this type of book so ill be honest its hard for me to sit down and get into it"

What don't you like about it? What types of books do you..."


Yes, I have started it. I have gotten through the first few chapters. It seems to be starting off slow but I am hoping that the pace picks up soon.


message 11: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid Mercé | 17 comments Ok .


message 12: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited Jul 21, 2016 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this one yet? I am hoping to pick it up from the library soon."

I'm done...of course I a Walter Mosley fan and love Easy Rawlins.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this one yet? I am hoping to pick it up from the library soon."

I'm done...of course I a Walter Mosley fan and love Easy Rawlins."


What was your overall impression of the book?


message 14: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited Jul 27, 2016 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Leonid reminds me so much of Easy Rawlins I got the books mixed up. Leonid is a middle age man that understands his limitations and his strengths.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Mahoghani 23 wrote: "It's hard reading the struggle for equality from Easy's point of view. I can't be biased; I'm a very avid fan of Walter Mosley and so I can relate this style of writing. I thought the book was pret..."

I am about half way through and I like the story also. Things are starting to pick up a little.


message 16: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited Jul 27, 2016 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Mahoghani 23 wrote: "It's hard reading the struggle for equality from Easy's point of view. I can't be biased; I'm a very avid fan of Walter Mosley and so I can relate this style of writing. I thou..."

im sorry...got my Walter Mosley characters mixed up...lol


message 17: by Denise (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What do you think about Leonid's relationship with Hush?


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?"

Leonid is smart, street & books, understands his life or rather has come to accept it, loves his "kids" and knows what he needs to do to solve a case and what resources he may have to use.

Katrina seeks men to make her happy; unhappy in a loveless marriage and has had two children from other men while married to Leonid.

Twill may not be Leonid's biological son but he has his ways. He's smart in both ways like Leonid, technological savvy, has a bohemian style to himself but overall lovable by most women.


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What do you think about Leonid's relationship with Hush?"

I love it. You need a man like him in your corner.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think about Leonid's relationship with Hush?"

I love it. You need a man like him in your corner."


Yes! He can fix any problem.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?"

Leonid is smart, street & books, understands his life or rather has come to accept it, loves his "kids" and knows what he needs to do t..."


I agree. While I am reading this book, I keep wondering why Katrina and Leonid even bother to stay together. They have such an interesting relationship. It is also strange how much Twill and Leonid are so similar to each other when he is not his biological son. He has definitely rubbed off on him.


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?"

Leonid is smart, street & books, understands his life or rather has come to accept it, loves his "kids" and knows ..."


His own biological son hates him & Twill seems more at ease as to who he is and what skills he has.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What did you think of the ending? Did you have any questions that were left unanswered?


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What did you think of the ending? Did you have any questions that were left unanswered?"

All mine were answered throughout the story and especially at the end.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of the ending? Did you have any questions that were left unanswered?"

All mine were answered throughout the story and especially at the end."


Ok. Were you surprised by anything that happened? I am still wondering about which woman that Leonid will choose. If he will finally meet up with his father.


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of the ending? Did you have any questions that were left unanswered?"

All mine were answered throughout the story and especially at the end."..."


Since I've read the other books, I'm not telling but it's truly a mess that needs to be cleared.


message 28: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. White | 7 comments I love Walter Mosley books but I like the Easy Rawling character better than the PI Leonidas.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
A. wrote: "I love Walter Mosley books but I like the Easy Rawling character better than the PI Leonidas."

Why is that?


message 30: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. White | 7 comments Easy seems cool, laid back and relax. Leonidas reminds me a little of Bleek in "Mo Better Blues", although neither is entirely a good person. Easy is a better person. Some levels Leonidas will scoop to Easy won't go there. I know they live in different time periods. In many way Leonidas is worst than Mouse. He sets up innocent people to take the downfall for evil people. He has no conscience at all.


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) A. wrote: "Easy seems cool, laid back and relax. Leonidas reminds me a little of Bleek in "Mo Better Blues", although neither is entirely a good person. Easy is a better person. Some levels Leonidas will scoo..."

Well put....I fell in love with Easy but can relate a lot with Leonid McGill.


Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?"

Leonid is smart, street & books, understands his life or rather has come to accept it, loves his "kids" and knows ..."


To me Twill understands the streets better than his brother and their mother has kind of kept her oldest son close to her because, I think of the way he feels towards his father and Katrina knowing that she got those other kids by two different men and still married to Leonid.


message 33: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. White | 7 comments Mahoghani 23 wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Leonid? Katrina? Twill?"

Leonid is smart, street & books, understands his life or rather has come to accept it, loves his "kids" and knows what he needs to do t..."


This is the part that reminds me of Mo Better Blues where Bleek did all the things a man could do as long as he thought the woman he was fighting for was white but when he learned she wasn't he was deeply offended. Now, would Leonidas had accepted a black woman having kids for another man while married to him? No, he wouldn't have. Would Leonid had loved the "kids" so much had their mother been a black wife cheating on him? No, he wouldn't have, I like the way Mr. Mosley exposed this double standard for what it is. He isn't afraid to write things as they actually are. He exposed prejudice within the black community. Personally, I think the situation with Twill, Katrina and Leonidas is one hot mess. Twill is on the fast track to the graveyard.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the contrasts the author shows between the Characters: compassion vs. none; Era: historical vs. contemporary; Location: west coast vs. east coast, just to name a few.

There could only be one Easy Rawlins. The brilliance of Mr. Mosley!


message 35: by A. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A. White | 7 comments MsG wrote: "I like the contrasts the author shows between the Characters: compassion vs. none; Era: historical vs. contemporary; Location: west coast vs. east coast, just to name a few.

There could only be on..."
I agree, this is what makes his books so interesting. :)


back to top