Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Any books to recommend?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henriette (last edited Jun 22, 2016 03:58AM) (new)

Henriette (henriettesbookworld) | 5 comments Me and a friend are doing a reading challenge and want to read a book from an author from every country of the world. Does any one have any books to recommend by authors born in the following countries?

The Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Bolivia
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burundi

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Griffin | 15 comments Henriette wrote: "Me and a friend are doing a reading challenge and want to read a book from an author from every country of the world. Does any one have any books to recommend by authors born in the following count..."

My sister and I are doing this and are just at the end of the As ourselves so will enjoy looking at your list. If you search books about each individual country goodreads has listings with reviews!

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 626 comments Henriette wrote: "Me and a friend are doing a reading challenge and want to read a book from an author from every country of the world. Does any one have any books to recommend by authors born in the following count..."

Henriette, there is a woman did the same challenge who has a blog where she lists possible books for each country. Here is a link to her blog. https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th...

Also there is a thread in this group under the More Challenges heading that is for the same challenge. There are authors listed there as well.

message 4: by Henriette (new)

Henriette (henriettesbookworld) | 5 comments Julie wrote: "Henriette wrote: "Me and a friend are doing a reading challenge and want to read a book from an author from every country of the world. Does any one have any books to recommend by authors born in t..."

This is what we've got so far on B:
Belarus: Victor Martinovich - Paranoia
Belgium: Hugo Claus - The Sorrow of Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina: - Alexandar Hemon - The Question of Bruno
Botswana: Unity Dow - Far and Beyon'
Brazil: Jorge Amado - Captain of the Sand
Burkina Faso: Norbert Zongo - The Parachute Drop

And our list for A you can find here, if you still have some countries on A you haven't decided on http://readingtheworld.whitingadventu...

I find that the lists on here are usually listed after country where the story takes place, not where the author is born, but it is definitely helping.

message 5: by Henriette (new)

Henriette (henriettesbookworld) | 5 comments Laurie wrote: "Henriette wrote: "Me and a friend are doing a reading challenge and want to read a book from an author from every country of the world. Does any one have any books to recommend by authors born in t..."

We have come across that blog before and it is definitely helping. Some countries are really difficult to find books from. At least books that are translated into English.

Will definitely have a look at More challanges. Thanks.

message 6: by Henriette (new)

Henriette (henriettesbookworld) | 5 comments Anya wrote: "I second "Captains of the Sand" for Brazil. For Belarus "Khatyn" by Ales Adamovich (about the Khatyn genocide in WW2). And for Belgium, the writer Amélie Nothomb is very interesting. I only read "H..."

Thanks for the recommendations. We are reconsidering both Belarus and Belgium now. Sometimes it is difficult to choose just one!