Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Salter (httpwwwamazoncoukdpb01bqmjjys) Hello guys

I published my first book in Feb and it has done relatively well, but I've noticed that although it is on amazon.com it rarely sells in America. Does anyone know if it would be worth re-editing a version just for the states?

All the best
Adrian

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments The first question I would have is, why would you re-edit for the states?

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) Sounds like exposure is your issue, not editing. If it was selling and getting bad reviews, a re-edit might be in view. If it's just not selling, you're just not getting any attention. Try things like hosting giveaways, free promotions, or targeted advertising in the US (I recommend against using Amazon or Facebook ads).

message 4: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Salter (httpwwwamazoncoukdpb01bqmjjys) Hi guys, thank you for responding.

I've been getting great reviews for my books and I do think that getting attention is the problem. So far I'm only using twitter to promote as it's easy and free. I'm still getting to grips with Goodreads, but because I usually work a 65 to 78 hr week my spare time goes to family and writing.

The only reason I was thinking of re-editing for the states was because of the spelling differences. It wouldn't put me off but I don't know about others.

Thank you for your help

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) I live in the States, and read quite a bit of British fantasy. The alternate spellings and slang are second nature to me now. Sometimes I even read books and the narrator ends up having the voice of a Premier League announcer. ;)

But you're far from alone on this. I often wonder how to get more attention in Britain and, to a lesser extent, the English-speaking EU.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) A.C. wrote: "Hi guys, thank you for responding.

I've been getting great reviews for my books and I do think that getting attention is the problem. So far I'm only using twitter to promote as it's easy and free..."

I doubt most readers would take issue with British spelling. To be honest, most of us took issue with the 'Americanized' Harry Potter books as being unnecessary and even silly.

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments I'm with Christina on this. Don't worry about re-editing.

Instead research what the current US trends are for stories. Keep promoting, but here we tend to go in cycles of genres. If you can pick up what's hot when, you might have an easier time promoting to the US audiences.

Also, depending on your budget, you may want to look at paid promotion through well known book promoters.

message 8: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Salter (httpwwwamazoncoukdpb01bqmjjys) Thank you so much for the advise, Thomas, Joe and Christina.

I've decided not to do the re-edit. Any spare time I've got would be best spent writing the last book in the trilogy. In the meantime i'll look into book promoters.

Thanks again guys, all the best
Adrian

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) A.C. wrote: "Any spare time I've got would be best spent writing the last book in the trilogy. "

That's usually the best thing you can do to promote yourself. A finished series will attract more attention than one people aren't sure ever will be finished.

As far as book promoters, Bookbub is pricey but regarded as one of the best. Good luck.

message 10: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments My books are written in British English. I just can't bring myself to spell colour as "color." Sorry, my American friends. I sell more books in the US than the UK.

Most readers will not care.

message 11: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Anthony wrote: "My books are written in British English. I just can't bring myself to spell colour as "color." Sorry, my American friends. I sell more books in the US than the UK.

Most readers will not care."

You know Anthony, everytime you spell it colour a robot loses his wings.

message 12: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Anthony wrote: "My books are written in British English. I just can't bring myself to spell colour as "color." Sorry, my American friends. I sell more books in the US than the UK.

Most readers will not care."

I didn't even notice, honestly. Honor/honour, color/colour, parlor/parlour, criticize/criticise who cares, really. Certainly not I.

The auto correct obviously does though. I had to retype criticise a few times to make it stick. :/

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) J. Riley wrote: "No apologies...you don't need to cater to those "rebellious colonials from across the pond".

:P "

Dammit, J. Riley! No politics on the board! I don't care how many centuries it's been.

;P

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane Sleight (janesleight) | 2 comments Can I ask how you use Twitter to promote? I feel as though I've struggled to get in the groove with Twitter so do you have any tips?

Jane Sleight

A.C. wrote: "Hi guys, thank you for responding.

I've been getting great reviews for my books and I do think that getting attention is the problem. So far I'm only using twitter to promote as it's easy and free..."

message 15: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Salter (httpwwwamazoncoukdpb01bqmjjys) Hi Jane

I followed a few writers and retweeted some of their tweets. Then tweeted a few of my own to advertise my books. It took a short while to build up followers, but once a couple of them gave my book a try they began to tweet about for me. But you don't want to just keep posting about your own work all the time or people will soon tire of it.

I'm sure you'll pick it up soon enough

I've just followed you on twitter, if it's any help

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane Sleight (janesleight) | 2 comments Thanks very much. Appreciate the response and the support

message 17: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Kirkby | 8 comments I had to chuckle...my mother got a bit miffed when, by my 8th year of life, her sister became my "Aunt Gladys", rather than "Ant Gladys", and my teachers complained to her about my choices of spelling by including the 'u'; 's vs z'; 'l vs ll', etc, insisting that these were wrong. Mother, being a stickler for correct usage of any language, had a sticky time rationalising the conflict!

Some of we "colonials" are rather more rebellious against our training than you might believe!!

I'm new here, so I'll be heading over to "Introductions", now!

message 18: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Salter (httpwwwamazoncoukdpb01bqmjjys) Hi Pearl

It's good to be rebellious. As you know I'm not the best speller, even though I speak very good England.

Welcome aboard

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Mohr Pearl wrote: "I had to chuckle...my mother got a bit miffed when, by my 8th year of life, her sister became my "Aunt Gladys", rather than "Ant Gladys"

Wait, Aunt can be spelled a different way? Huh. I never knew that.