Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
This topic is about Relish
Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, by Lucy Knisley

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments This graphic memoir is my selection for a book with a type of food or drink in the title (week #47). Read. Underwhelmed. It was messy and unstructured. I was annoyed by the author's stereotypical assessment of fat people. A lot of it was dull. I did enjoy the illustrated recipes though.

Synopsis:
Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is bookended with an illustrated recipe—many of them treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original inventions.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments I'm considering adding Book Riot to my list of challenges for this year, and this is one of the books I had in mind to fulfill a prompt there. I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels in general, so I'm a bit worried about it. But it's for a "food memoir", a pretty difficult prompt for me to fulfill.

Kathy | 2201 comments I really like Luch Knisley's graphic novels, including Relish. I read it for last year's challenge.

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments It's an easy read, Rachel. It has that going for it. I'm not an enthusiastic graphic novel reader either but I think most of my issues with this book were not related to it being a graphic novel. I just didn't find the content filling. But that's me. :)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments I just finished this, and I was actually really surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I love food although I am definitely not a cook, nor anywhere near the level of food lover as the author is. I actually really liked a few of her comments, such as how it is discriminatory to dismiss foods that people enjoy just because they are unhealthy or cheap. Emm, I didn't notice any stereotypes of fat people.

I thought that some of her stories were very funny (Mexico, espeically) and I really loved how Lucy Kinsey presented her attitudes toward food. It was an enjoyable read, although to me it is not really a graphic novel either.