Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > Looking for recommendations - Persia, Assyria etc

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Graham (davidgraham) Hi,

I've been enjoying Dan Carlin's 'King of Kings' podcast and have been a long time fan of 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. Can anyone advise me on any good historical fiction dealing with either Assyria, Persia (pre-Marathon) or any of the other states that dominated or participated in that region?

Have read quite a bit of Greek-centric fiction so looking for something from an earlier vintage and from a different perspective.

Also any recommendations re factual books would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3457 comments David wrote: "Hi,

I've been enjoying Dan Carlin's 'King of Kings' podcast and have been a long time fan of 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. Can anyone advise me on any good historical fiction dealing with either ..."

The Assyrian
and its sequel [which I liked better but can't remember the name] both by Nicholas Guild

message 3: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3306 comments Jane wrote: "David wrote: "Hi,

I've been enjoying Dan Carlin's 'King of Kings' podcast and have been a long time fan of 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. Can anyone advise me on any good historical fiction dealin..."

The sequel is The Blood Star

message 4: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 38 comments David wrote: "Hi,

I've been enjoying Dan Carlin's 'King of Kings' podcast and have been a long time fan of 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. Can anyone advise me on any good historical fiction dealing with either Assyria, Persia (pre-Marathon) or any of the other states that dominated or participated in that region? ..."

How about The Afghan Campaign? It's still in my tbr, but I liked Tides of War, so it might fill your bill. <><

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 37 comments I'm currently reading the Assyrian as mentioned above and am finding it very long-winded. For those of you who've read it, did you end up liking it a lot? (I hope it's okay to ask this in this thread, if not, apologies ahead of time.)

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3457 comments The Assyrian I didn't like so much, but liked the sequel The Blood Star much better.

message 7: by Reeda (new)

Reeda Booke (book-wizard) | 18 comments I really enjoyed The Assyrian, but I haven't read The Blood Star even though I have it.

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Pennington (bluemoonladylynne) | 54 comments Have both in my TBR soon pile. Stay tuned!

message 9: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3306 comments Shannon wrote: "I'm currently reading the Assyrian as mentioned above and am finding it very long-winded. For those of you who've read it, did you end up liking it a lot? (I hope it's okay to ask this in this thre..."

I loved both it and its sequel.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 37 comments Has anyone seen any other books that fit this post? I've read The Assyrian and am on the sequel, and the more I read, the more I wish I had a bigger list of books like this to choose from.

message 11: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3306 comments There is one pre-Marathon Persian empire that came out in the last few years. I've read it and I'm trying to remember either it's name or who wrote it. Hang on. I need to go fossick through my lists.

message 12: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

message 13: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 330 comments Margaret wrote: "The Last King of Lydia This is it."

That looks really interesting. I've put it on my to read list.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 37 comments Margaret wrote: "The Last King of Lydia This is it."

I have that book on my list. It has so few ratings that I wasn't sure if it was as good as it seems. I'll definitely give it a try now that I know though.

message 15: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3306 comments Both Andy and I enjoyed it. Andy recommended it to me. It is slow going at first, but is well worth perservering with. The author wrote a sequel, but I've not read that one.