Indie Author Collaboration discussion

Unbound club > Authors Introduction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sammaryjennings) | 4 comments Mod
Hello everyone, my name is Samantha and I am co-writing a fantasy novel with my mother on the crowdfunding site Unbound. This is our first attempt at publishing through a hybrid publisher, but we are not complete strangers to the publishing world. The first book that we wrote, we went straight into self-publication on Amazon, not thinking that our work would be accepted, or their standards for acceptance too high.

However, after finding Unbound we thought to give crowdfunding a try. We were accepted in February and have now reached 30% of our goal thanks to some very helpful, friendly and considerate fellow authors of Unbound, and of course, our family, who have supported us from the very beginning!

If you have made it thus far, thank you for reading. And don't be afraid to share a bit about yourself!

message 2: by John (new)

John Robin (john_robin) | 62 comments Mod
Awesome to have you here, Samantha! Will be great to get more Unbound folks here in this group to work together with the IAC community. Glad to hear your campaign is kicking up. Here's hoping the cross-pollination in this group will help us share reader bases some more.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Thank you, John, I feel most welcome here!

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Hi Jennifer, it's good to see you here! If we try to spread the word about this group, we could get more traffic and hopefully more discussions and share advice.

Hope to hear more from you!

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Oliver wrote: "Hi all, I'm Oliver.

I'm currently working with Unbound on my novel, 'I Teach You War.' It's a book about a Kosovan refugee's struggle to make sense of his family's past. I was thrilled to be give..."

Hi Oliver.

Firstly, congratulations on being accepted by Unbound. No doubt you are very excited about the prospect of crowdfunding with the world's first crowdfunding publisher, not to mention, see your book thrive and ultimately reach the 100% goal!

As for advice, there are varying ways to which your book can be promoted, it just depends on what sort of paths you are willing travel. One good way (if you haven't already) is to contact your friends, even old friends that you haven't spoken to in a long while. If they're eager, they can spread the word to their friends, and so on and so on. Most people would say to splash it on Facebook and Twitter, but I have found that that way had little effect, in fact, next to nothing, in ways of actually getting pledges (had lots of likes, though). But the posts mostly hinge on how they are written and if they have any visual representation (pictures; front cover); I find that posts with pictures gets the best response.

Another way (which another Unbound author has done, in fact it was his idea) is to offer work, such as grass cutting, in exchange for a pledge as payment.

Again, it really depends on what routes you are willing to follow, and there are many more options to choose.

Hope this helps!

message 6: by o (new)

o | 1 comments Great ideas! Thanks, Samantha.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Patel-Campbell | 4 comments Hi all! I'm Claire and, like Oliver, I'm embarking on my first Unbound adventure with my novel, Abernathy, which is a murder mystery set in rural Wisconsin, told through flashback and in the present tense. Also like Oliver, I found the traditional route to be mainly closed off, so I'm incredibly grateful to Unbound for giving me a chance.

The initial flurry of interest has died down (as expected), so I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to keep the momentum going, and how to stay calm about the whole thing? I don't mind admitting that I'm already freaking about hitting my target!