message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8676 comments Mod
Thanks, LynnB, for the upcoming trip to Canada

What's on everyone's list to-read?

message 2: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8676 comments Mod
I'm going to see if I can get to The Robber Bride

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments I don't own any Canada books, mainly because I have already read the ones I do own. So I'll need to buy something for this shelf, and it's probably going to be Oryx and Crake, which I've wanted to read for a long time. I really like Margaret Atwood.

Other books I have on my wishlist:

Surfacing
Too Much Happiness
Sweetness in the Belly
Neuromancer

message 4: by Bea (last edited Jun 21, 2016 03:19AM) (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Shoot! I have two Louise Penny books for SRC and just finished the first one. I suppose I could hold the second book (A Fatal Grace) until next month...

I also see Station Eleven and The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, which are both on other reading lists.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1644 comments I will be reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood to start (need to return it to a friend!)

I'll be reading something by Alice Munro, but I don't know which book yet.

I also have these on my TBR:
The Good Rain: Across Time & Terrain in the Pacific Northwest by Timothy Egan
Daniel Plainway by Van Reid
Island: The Collected Stories by Alistair MacLeod

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1398 comments LynnB wrote: "I will be reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood to start (need to return it to a friend!)"

Lynn, I really liked Alias Grace, hope you'll like it as much as I did!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2587 comments honestly surprised how few books from this shelve that I have either read or have on the to-be-read...hmmmm....shall have to peruse a bit closer

message 8: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments I have recently been on a trip to Canada and love the idea of reading a book about this country. I still have to choose what to read though.

Dogsandbooksanddogsandbooks Bea wrote: "Shoot! I have two Louise Penny books for SRC and just finished the first one. I suppose I could hold the second book (A Fatal Grace) until next month...

I also see [book:Station Elev..."

Bea,
How did you like the Louise Penny books? I was considering one of those.

Dogsandbooksanddogsandbooks I'm thinking Stone Mattress: Nine Tales for a starter.

Also, hoping if I read Canada, it will feel cooler than here in the Southwest.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 160 comments I will read Anne of Green Gables.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments I am not sure; I'm going to visit my parents and will see what my mother has in the house. I'm now in summer reading mode, but I have another group with a challenge to read a Canadian historical fiction novel, so I may tie those in.

message 13: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (kempfme) | 15 comments I will read The Heart Goes Last

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2827 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Shoot! I have two Louise Penny books for SRC and just finished the first one. I suppose I could hold the second book (A Fatal Grace) until next month...

I also see [book:Station Elev..."

Station Eleven is wonderful, Bea. I read it last year. I am on the 4th Louise Penny book, myself, so I will probably read that one.

If anyone is looking for something to read, here are a few suggestions from over the years. They are all 5 stars for me.

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (This used to be called Someone Knows My Name in the US, but I think they changed the name back after the mini series. Not sure. )

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (I really like this author, but so far her first one is still my favorite)

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

As for me, I am reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson for another challenge, so I think I will start with that. Although I have two Cathy Marie Buchanan books to read, the new Chevy Stevens book, and the Louise Penny series to read also.

message 17: by Bea (last edited Jul 01, 2016 04:18AM) (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Station Eleven is wonderful, Bea. I read it last year. I am on the 4th Louise Penny book, myself, so I will probably read that one."

Debi wrote: "Bea,
How did you like the Louise Penny books? I was considering one of those."

Thanks for the recommendation for Station Eleven, Lyn. I see you also read Still Missing, which I liked a lot. I have two more Chevy Stevens books on my wishlist.

Debi, I enjoyed the first Louise Penny book and, lucky for me, did not get around to reading the second one yet. Now I can read it for the Canada shelf.

Bea wrote: "Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Station Eleven is wonderful, Bea. I read it last year. I am on the 4th Louise Penny book, myself, so I will probably read that one."

Debi wrote: "Bea,
How did you like ..."

Which Chevy Stevens do you have on your wish list? I have read them all except the latest one, which I have on my TBR.

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Which Chevy Stevens do you have on your wish list? I have read them all except the latest one, which I have on my TBR. "

Never Knowing and Those Girls

Bea wrote: "Lyn (Readinghearts) wrote: "Which Chevy Stevens do you have on your wish list? I have read them all except the latest one, which I have on my TBR. "

Never Knowing and [book:Those G..."

I read Never Knowing and really liked it. Those Girls is the one that I have to read.

message 21: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments One person shelved An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon , which I already started, on the Canada shelf so I'll be reading that one. :)

message 22: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments I haven't decided yet what I'll read. I liked the review by Lacy of The Heart Goes Last. I think I'll read that book or Water for Elephants

message 23: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4657 comments Mod
I seem to be bogging down in my reading. I forgot to get the books from the library. Oh, my. Guess I will have to try to get to the library later this week.

message 24: by Lusie (last edited Jul 17, 2016 06:33AM) (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments Bea, I yet have to start reading for this.

message 25: by Diane L (new)

Diane L Debi wrote: "Bea,
How did you like the Louise Penny books? I was considering one of those."

I'm not Bea, actually new to the group here. Count me as a Louise Penny fan. I've read them all and only one that I wouldn't recommend. If you can get them in audio with Ralph Cosham narrating them, do it! He is wonderful!

message 26: by Diane L (last edited Jul 27, 2016 06:18PM) (new)

Diane L My plans for Canada are the Song of Acadia series by Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn. I'm also going to see about finishing up L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series.

Read:
The Meeting Place
The Sacred Shore

message 27: by Lusie (new)

Lusie (illusie) | 3113 comments I'm going to read Water for Elephants. i'll start today or tomorrow

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 801 comments Not much reading done on holidays so missed this one!