Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > Gender Inequality and Biology

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T E N Z I N (new)

T E N Z I N (SPACESspaces) | 7 comments No matter what happens, males and females will never be completely equal in my opinion, unless we go to extreme measures to reach equality. However, doing that puts us in a Harrison Bergeron situation, and I don't think anyone would want that.

Lets go back to the caveman time. Based on what we know right now, we know that males would protect the females because males were usually stronger and would defend females who were pregnant or weaker. Because of this, I think humans grew up with that, and because of that, males ended up assigning (or being assigned, if what happened was completely instinctive,) the job of being the person who gets the food and goes to work. Just like how they used to hunt for food.

It might just be me in my classes, but females tend to be much more social then the males. Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, I don't use any of that, and barely any of my male friends do. However, almost every female I know has some form of social media. Also, the males in my class tend to not really talk to anyone unless its a friend or something that they are interested in. However, for the females in my class, it usually is the opposite. I think this is because of how males used to fight over mates, and because of this, males usually didn't end up being friends or such, while females never really fought over mates and didn't have to worry about that back then.
Fun Fact: Scientists think that human faces evolved to become better at fighting. That is why males have very different facial structures then females.
http://www.livescience.com/46216-male...
(off topic stuff kind of not really) http://www.livescience.com/52562-hand...

All in all, those are some ideas I had, and I don't really want to research this either. I came up with the idea while in class, and wanted to type it out. But while on this topic, inequality on gender with jobs and such usually occurs because of direct correlations showing one gender doing better at one job then the other gender. Males tend to do more physical labor, and that's probably because males tend to be stronger then females. Please notice that I said "tend to be". This is due to testosterone induced muscle hypertrophy which is when the muscles grow bigger due to testosterone. If a male and female didn't work out, the male would end up stronger. Also, females have wider hips so that giving birth is easier then it already is, and I have heard that wider hips can actually break easier. Ouch.

message 2: by T E N Z I N (new)

T E N Z I N (SPACESspaces) | 7 comments ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚ clickty clack clickty clack with this chant I summon spam to the chat

message 3: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11222 comments So giving birth is easy?

message 4: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 63 comments T E N Z I N wrote: "It might just be me in my classes, but females tend to be much more social then the males. Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, I don't use any of that, and barely any of my male friends do. ..."

The local news did the most worthless fluff piece the other day where they went outside and asked people how many selfies where stored in their phones. Their unscientific results found that women had phones full of selfies while men (whether it was true, or they were to embarrassed to admit otherwise) had very few if any at all.

That said, I think instead of getting butthurt over accepting the differences, society should focus on the positives of how women are different from men. Instead of using those differences to segregate, we should look at how to utilize the difference women bring to the table. But then again we're not always a rational species and tend to fall back on the negative in everything.

message 5: by Elisabet (new)

Elisabet Norris | 486 comments J.J. wrote: "T E N Z I N wrote: "It might just be me in my classes, but females tend to be much more social then the males. Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, I don't use any of that, and barely any of my male friend..."

I think you make a good point, J.J......it's really too bad that we are so hung up on being the same....I think the term being treated "equal" has been misunderstood by many.......it doesn't mean being treated the same, but rather the consequence or outcome of the treatment has an equal affect.....like for instance, gender, race, or handicap should not be a reason for a difference in pay performing the exact same job (of the same quality). The focus sometimes seems to be on uncontrolled factors such as biological or physical differences which render us, not unequal, but rather just different.

message 7: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Bravo! Hear, hear.

Me, I do not want a faceless, amorphous, androgynous society. This is a specter of nightmare to me.

What people don't remember in this horrible sphincter-kissing era of cowardly, smarmy political-correctness is that equality can't be a 'handout'. It has to be earned.

Another point I stand by: 'inequality' is a misunderstood term. Inequality is not evil. We need inequalities for anyone to be great.

Without inequality, you would have a society with no Michelangelos or Einsteins. No standouts. Everything would be forced down to the lowest common denominator. It's already happening; you can see it in every industry.

Remember what the great HL Mencken said about 'democracy resulting only in mediocrity'.

Here's another idea: I'm not in favor of conservatives who refuse to assist the needy; but on the other hand I do feel that people in this era are always wanting things made 100% too easy/too effortless for them. A society where there is no struggle? That culture will quickly perish. Decadence, indolence, and sloth leads to weakness, softness, and infirmity. Robust nations are those nations which continually face hardship and challenge. America was at its BEST when we stood up against adversity. It brought out the champion spirit in us.

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) from the OP
TENZIN wrote: "No matter what happens, males and females will never be completely equal in my opinion, unless we go to extreme measures to reach equality"

I would agree if you just make a slight word change. In this sentence, it'd be much better to state that 'men and women will always be different'.

I'm not against inequality but since we're talking about the same species here--and that species is one which cooperates together deliberately and willingly--'difference' is the better concept to emphasize. We compliment each other. Various strengths and weaknesses are found on each side and it all balances out.

TENZIN wrote: "Lets go back to the caveman time. Based on what we know right now, we know that males would protect the females because males were usually stronger and would defend females who were pregnant or weaker."

We don't quite know that for sure. Rather, it is just one notion we have about what might have happened at various times in some places; but not every place. For instance, another theory has it that early on, neolithic women were so similar in size and strength to neolithic men that there was much more competition than we might like to contemplate. Female hominids could very well have posed a threat to male tribal dominance.

Anthropologists reason that males eventually gained --and held--the upper hand for no reason at all related to our strength or size. Females at that dim point in pre-history had one exploitable flaw which made them capitulate and stand down; and that was their offspring. Males could always kill or abduct their infants; and this threat was the only one against which females had no defense. Otherwise, they were certainly capable of killing us.

Tips: take no account of 'social media' as a factor in your reasoning. That is much too new, fast-moving, and irrelevant a phenomenon to cite as an indication of anything. Manufacturers labored for years to make more women adopt technology. When you hit a nail enough times, you will eventually get it to go in.

Next: rather than always go to the internet for your analysis, take a class in anthropology sometime. Its fun and cheap and available at any community college.