Nature Literature discussion

The Hour of Land: A Personal Topography of America's National Parks
This topic is about The Hour of Land
Book of the Month > The Hour of Land discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 687 comments Mod
Please add your comments about The Hour of Land on this thread.

Thanks & happy reading!
~Becky

message 2: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments My experience of National Parks is limited to those in the East such as Everglades, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and Assateague Island National Seashore, so these western parks are new territory for me.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Norman | 687 comments Mod
Came across a timely article on the Smithsonian website tonight regarding how photography shaped America's national parks. Here's the link: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/...

message 4: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Excellent article

message 5: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments I am now into the second chapter. This book is a great read.

message 6: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Skipping around a bit. Really liked the chapter on Effigy Mounds. There are several mounds near my hometown in Ohio, including a Serpent effigy known as Serpent Mound. Very interesting places.

I also like the use of color in the chapter on Big Bend.

message 7: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Jump back to the chapter on Acadia national Park . Different from the others .

message 8: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments The chapter on Gulf Islands National Seashore is disturbing. Six years later and oil form the Deepwater Horizon is still coming ashore. I did a web search on Deepwater Horizon 2016 and found that a movie about it will be released in September. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yASb...

message 9: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments I have now finished all but the end matter and chapter four - the chapter on Gettysburg. Not sure why I cave that one for last, except that the Civil War is a subject on which I have an odd perspective, being an Ohioan living in Tennessee. I live near the Point Park unit of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Battlefield http://www.chattanoogafun.com/members..., a park with several geographically separated units. The Confedearate victory which prompted a Union retreat at Chickamauga was a bloody battle indeed, and then the various Union victories at Chattanooga sent the Confederates running to Atlanta. This was after General Grant was reassigned to Chattanooga. I work in tourism, and occasionally deal with a reenactor who has his own civil war dinner theater and wears his Confedearate uniform all the time. His voice mail says that you have reached general Lee's mobile command post, and he frequently extols the virtues of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy.

message 10: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments This book is my favorite of our recent selections. Already, I have finished it and find myself revisiting chapters, particularly the chapter on Effigy Mounds National Monument, Gulf Islands National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Alcatraz Island, Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
My adopted home of Chattanooga, Tennessee is undergoing a debate of water distribution, as the State of Tennessee and the State of Georgia engage in a border dispute that could give Georgia access to the Tennessee River. Very spirited. I found he comments on Major John Wesley Powell and quotations on his statements about irrigation and water very illuminating.

message 11: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Effigy Mounds - final section

message 12: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Just re read it and really enjoyed the description of the natural world around the bird effigy. Is anyone else enjoying this book?

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilykumpe) | 24 comments I have the book, but am so far behind in my reading that I haven't even started it yet. Based on your input, I'm really looking forward to this one.

message 14: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments It is really a book about relationships - broken and healing. The relationship to the land is foremost, but the Gettysburg chapter is about dvisins never healed - I know this living in theSouth, where
The Civil War is still being fought. Her comments are incisive. Relationships within her family also come into play.

message 15: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Bancroft | 8 comments I really liked the chapter on Teddy Roosevelt park. This discussion of oil and gas exploration coming up to the edge of the park was both sad and enlightening. We have a really challenge in this country to balance our energy demands with the consequences of that exploration. I spent time trying to protect wild places from energy exploration between 2000 and 2007. Often people were shocked to hear about things like what Terry presented in this chapter. I hope her book is well received and more people learn about these challenges.
I am wading through the Gettysburg Chapter right now. Good book. Thanks.

message 16: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Zimmerman | 638 comments Gettysburg chapter brought out issues facing a park near me, the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park.