Phantom of the Opera discussion

Black Paper Mask
This topic is about Black Paper Mask
Self Promotion > Black Paper Mask (Feminist Revision of POTO)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Jun 20, 2016 06:45PM) (new)

Lauren Gattos | 13 comments Hey guys! I'm Lauren Gattos. You might know me from responding to threads that are three years old. I wrote a feminist revision of Phantom called Black Paper Mask, which basically means I highlighted the feminist aspects of the original story by reworking and replacing characters, specifically Christine.

Here's an amazon review that I think does a really good job of summarizing what I did:

"A very interesting spin on an old beloved tale. You will not find Christine in this Phantom-based novel. Instead you will find an emotionally strong heroine who is able to go toe to toe with Erik. Much of this story is told in flashback, which I found a highly effective writing strategy. I was also impressed with how the author chose to focus on the time Erik was forced to fight for the entertainment of others when he was in Persia- which isn't something I've seen in most other Phantom novels. All-in-all, I really liked this book and recommend it to other Phans."

There's a four chapter pdf preview for download on the book's goodreads page, and on my website www.blackpapermask.com. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Paper-Ma...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gattos | 13 comments Hi authors and readers!

Black Paper Mask will be FREE on Kindle from this Thursday, October 27th through Halloween!

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Paper-Ma...

One Amazon reviewer writes:

"Lilith, the remade Christine, is strong to boot. Not only does she take ownership of her own body and sexuality, but she adamantly refuses to be 'saved' by the males around her and instead takes care of business herself. Her witty banter and caring nature demonstrate a heroine who is more than beauty, or talent, but also a lady who gets what she wants and who can be badass while also showing a wonderfully sardonic sense of humor. Be prepared to see many parallels between this storyline and the original, but also be prepared to have them follow new paths in highly satisfied ways. Black Paper Mask is a true feminist revision of the phantom story, in which we forgo the damsel in distress trope and embrace an inspiring new heroine, all with the beautifully haunting music of the night playing in the background forevermore."

I hope you enjoy it! Happy Halloween!

<3 Lauren