Play Book Tag discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
Archive: Other Books > The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7202 comments Too bad I didn't read this during our Mystery/Thriller month!

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins ★★★

Rachel commutes between home and London by train daily, and on her route likes to watch a certain house and fantasize about the people who live in it. Sometimes, when drunk, she calls her ex-husband, Tom, who still lives in their old house with his new wife, who he had an affair with while they were still married, and their very young daughter. A lonely, divorced alcoholic, she becomes drawn directly to this couple when Megan, who lives in that house, disappears.

This is a thriller, so you can see things build from the start. I am not much of a thriller fan, but have to say that I liked this one, but didn't love it. The book is told from three points of view, Rachel's, Megan's and Anna's, Anna being Tom's current wife, and this is quite effective. If you enjoy thrillers, you have a good chance of liking this better than I did.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Rachel's drinking was unpleasant enough for me to subtract a star so it ended up 3 stars for me as well.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I found this book very interesting for several reasons. First, you have someone who is an unreliable narrator (because she's an alcoholic), but that gets slowly revealed AND she's not even sure that she trusts herself.

Second, I liked the different points of view because the story starts with Rachel making up stories about the people that she's sees everyday from the train. Then later, we get the perspective of the people that she is seeing and it is very different from what she made up.

Anna Willett | 6 comments I've been told that The Girl on the Train is similar to Gone Girl which I loved. Is that true?

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments They both are thrillers and have some unlikeable characters, but they mystery is different.

Anna Willett | 6 comments Okay. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Karin | 7202 comments I haven't read Gone Girl, but you have an answer already :).