Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > July 2-9/2016

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Welcome to our week long read-a-thon. That's right, at Hooked on Books we've decided that there aren't enough hours in a day, or days in a week, so our week long read-a-thons run for 8 days! Each participant reads from 12:01am on Saturday to 11:59pm on the following Saturday in their local time zone.

To sign up simply start yourself a post to track what you've read during the read-a-thon. Edit your post throughout the read-a-thon to let everyone know which books you've read & your total number of pages. Feel free to copy my post as a template

message 3: by Shaunesay (last edited Jul 10, 2016 08:05AM) (new)

Shaunesay Currently Reading:
A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1) by Julie McElwain start 10% (pg 50) Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Updates
7/2 Forest of Memory st. pg 41 - finished - 44 pages
7/3 Rosemary and Rue 41 pages
7/4 Rosemary and Rue 39 pages
7/5 Rosemary and Rue - finished -116 pages
7/6 Star Wars Ewoks: Shadows of Endor- finshed - 80 pages, A Murder in Time 10% (50 pages) = 130 pages
7/7 A Murder in Time 8% (40 pages)
7/8 A Murder in Time 10% (50 pages)
7/9 Uprooted 32 pages

Total Pages: 44+196+80+140+32=492

Finished:
Forest of Memory by Mary Robinette Kowal Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire start page 150 Star Wars Ewoks Shadows of Endor by Zack Giallongo

message 4: by Leane (last edited Jul 09, 2016 10:55PM) (new)

Leane | 2742 comments Mod
TBR: Empire of Dust (Blood of Gods and Royals, #2) by Eleanor Herman Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Audible)

7/2 City of Heavenly Fire-69 | Reliable Wife-304 | Total 373
7/3 Vegas Diaries-21 | Etiquette & Espionage 102 | Total 123
7/4 Vegas Diaries-67 | Total 67
7/5 Gone with the Wind-10 | Etiquette & Espionage 126 | Total 136
7/6 Gone with the Wind-124 | Vegas Diaries 14 | Total 138
7/7 Vegas Diaries-47 | Etiquette & Espionage 79 | Total 126
7/8 Vegas Diaries-58 | Total 58
7/9 Vegas Diaries-53 | Total 53

Total pages read: 1074
Finished: started at pg.661 City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger The Vegas Diaries by Holly Madison (finished at 12:30)

message 5: by Becky (last edited Jul 08, 2016 07:11PM) (new)

Becky (becksnbooks) Currently Reading:
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi John Adams by David McCullough Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley

7/2: Grunt The Curious Science of Humans at War by Mary Roach 85 pages
7/3: Complications A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande 90 pages, John Adams by David McCullough 26 pages
7/4: John Adams by David McCullough 52 pages
7/5: 0 pages :(
7/6: John Adams by David McCullough 47 pages, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley 55 pages
7/7: John Adams by David McCullough 42 pages
7/8: The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman 121 pages
7/9:

Total Pages:
Books Finished:
Grunt The Curious Science of Humans at War by Mary Roach Complications A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman

message 6: by Janessa (last edited Jul 09, 2016 06:15PM) (new)

Janessa | 661 comments Currently reading The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde , The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne
July 2: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 38
July 3: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 65
July 4: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde -page 22
July 5: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 72
July 6: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 108
July 7: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde -page 38, The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne -page 10
July 8: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 126
July 9: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater -page 184

Total Pages Read: 745

Books Read:

message 7: by kat (last edited Jul 07, 2016 08:23PM) (new)

kat angelic-elf (nerdy-kat-angelic-elf) | 22 comments TBR: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare

July 2: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare pg. 18
July 3:N/A
July 4:N/A
July 5: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare pg. 10
July 6: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare pg. 12
July 7:
July 8:
July 9:

Total Pages:

Books finished:

message 8: by Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (last edited Jul 09, 2016 09:17PM) (new)

Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (jaffacaffa) | 166 comments Edit: I've really not felt well this week. :( Disappointed I haven't been able to read more, but I've been sleeping at least 18 hours day and still exhausted. Basically just listening to my Gaiman audiobook when I can (but I keep falling asleep soon after ;_;), which I should still finish this week!

July 2nd: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 58 pages
July 3rd: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 25 pages
July 4th: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 57 pages
July 5th: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 17 pages
July 6th: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 19 pages
July 7th: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 91 pages
July 8th: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman 91 pages
July 9th: Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley 80 pages

Total pages read: 438 (Wow, I read more than I thought I did!)

Books finished: The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman

message 9: by Shaeron (last edited Jul 09, 2016 08:24PM) (new)

Shaeron | 31 comments Books Read: Mr. Mercedes-Stephen King, Finders Keepers-Stephen King

Total Pages Read: 932 pages

Pages Read:
July 2: 0 pages
July 3: 0 pages
July 4: 370 pages of Mr. Mercedes-Stephen King
July 5: 66 pages of Mr. Mercedes-Stephen King + 62 pages of Finders Keepers-Stephen King
July 6: 282 pages of Finders Keepers-Stephen King
July 7: 104 pages of Finders Keepers-Stephen King
July 8: 0 pages
July 9: 48 pages of Love-Toni Morrison

message 10: by Heather (last edited Jul 02, 2016 10:11AM) (new)

Heather | 1261 comments TBR: Far From the Madding Crowd  by Thomas Hardy Beastly (Beastly, #1, Kendra Chronicles, #1) by Alex Flinn Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1) by Hiro Mashima Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

7/2: finished Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1) by Hiro Mashima

Books Read: Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1) by Hiro Mashima

Pages Read: 208

message 11: by RainbowBooks (last edited Jul 08, 2016 02:22PM) (new)

RainbowBooks | 38 comments Books Read: Lady Midnight

Pages Read: 678

message 12: by Jonel (last edited Jul 10, 2016 04:26AM) (new)

Jonel I'm finally back in the country so count me in for this one.

Pages Read: 1779

Books Read
Risteard’s Unwilling Empress (Lords of Kassis, #4) by S.E. Smith 100p Winning the Billionaire (Seattle Bachelors, #2) by J.M. Stewart 224p Billionaire in Wolf's Clothing (Billionaire Wolf #1) by Terry Spear 352p SCARS OF THE HEART by Joni Keever 271p Elfhame by Anthea Sharp 190p Tough Luck Hero (Copper Ridge, #6) by Maisey Yates 384p Daughters of the Bride by Susan Mallery 258 of 416p

Currently Reading

TBR Pile
Don't Tempt Me by Lori Foster 352p A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1) by Amanda Bouchet 448p

message 13: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Jonel wrote: "I'm finally back in the country so count me in for this one.

It's funny to hear you say you were out of the country when you were coming here. I just don't hear that very often! lol! Glad you're back! Hope it was a great trip!

message 14: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Shaunesay wrote: "Jonel wrote: "I'm finally back in the country so count me in for this one.

It's funny to hear you say you were out of the country when you were coming here. I just don't hear that very often! lol..."

lol. it was great. Hot but great.

message 15: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay I have everyone signed up so far linked in the first post so you don't have to search you can just click on yourself in the list and be taken to your tracking post. Just a few more days!

message 16: by C (last edited Jul 10, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

C (waiehse) | 55 comments TBR: The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera

7/2 - A Storm of Swords (101 pages)
7/3 - No reading :(
7/4 - A Storm of Swords (50 pages)
7/5 - Infinite Jest (59 pages), A Storm of Swords (56 pages)
7/6 - Infinite Jest (51 pages), A Storm of Swords (168 pages)
7/7 - Infinite Jest (33 pages), Sula (25 pages)
7/8 - Infinite Jest (32 pages), Sula (25 pages)
7/9 - Sula (80 pages), White Boy Shuffle (36 pages)

Pages read: 706 pages
Books finished: A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin Sula by Toni Morrison

Given the reading slump I was in my goal for the week was to hit 700 pages, pretty happy with the results :)

message 17: by Michelle (last edited Jul 24, 2016 08:22PM) (new)

Michelle | 397 comments Pages read: 516

TBR: •The Last Star -starting at page 6
•Hatred Day
•A Game of Thrones -starting at page 109

(I want to try to do it for days :D)
7/2: Hatred Day (Hatred Day, #1) by T.S. Pettibone -5% (=18 pages) A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin -10 pages The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey -38 pages
Total for day 1: 66 pages
7/3: The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey -97 pages A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin -25 pages
Total for day 2: 122
7/4: The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey -197 pages
Possible total for day 3: 197
*FORGOT TO COUNT DAILY FROM THIS POINT ON*

Books Read:
The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey -332 pages
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin -124 pages
The Hill by Karen Bass -22 pages
Hatred Day (Hatred Day, #1) by T.S. Pettibone -10% --about 38 pages

message 18: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Hello everyone! I hope you're off to a great start!

message 19: by Joi (new)

Joi | 215 comments TBR: Never Say Never by Victoria Christopher Murray Always Watching by Chevy Stevens Flyy Girl (Flyy Girl, #1) by Omar Tyree Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
Books Read: Never Say Never by Victoria Christopher Murray

7/2:100 pages (finished) of Never Say Never by Victoria Christopher Murray 10 pages of Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

7/3:

message 20: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay I see lots of good books on your lists! How is everyone doing?

message 21: by Jonel (new)

Jonel I'm getting more done than I'd hoped. You?

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 397 comments I'm getting less done than I'd hoped. Canada day's celebrations affected me more than I though hahaha xD.

message 23: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Michelle wrote: "I'm getting less done than I'd hoped. Canada day's celebrations affected me more than I though hahaha xD."

Ours got rained out so I had a low key weekend

message 24: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay We just watched the Macy's 4th display on TV, it was good! With work tomorrow, I just didn't want to try and fight the crowd at the local display. Haven't gotten a ton read yet, but hopefully I will get more tonight yet!

message 25: by Leane (new)

Very disappointed with my reading today. Hopefully this will be my lowest "pages read" for the read-a-thon.

message 26: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay It's weird, but I think I get more read on average on workdays, since I read at lunch, than on weekends!

message 27: by Jonel (new)

Jonel I've definitely had weeks like that Shaunesay. During the week I'll read at lunch and then to unwind when I get home. But on weekends, sometimes I'm too busy running around trying to have a social life (or pretend I have one) and catching up on things around the house.

message 28: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay We're halfway through! And I'm completely changing my mind on what to read, now that I've finished Rosemary and Rue!

message 29: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay 2 more days! I am just not loving the book I'm trying to read. Maybe because I'm anticipating the Make Me Read it Read-a-thon that starts Saturday, where I'll start a new book based on the vote I had, so I guess I kind of feel like I'm just waiting to start that, and not really invested in the one I've got? I don't know.

How's everyone else doing?

message 30: by Leane (last edited Jul 07, 2016 09:22PM) (new)

Shaunesay wrote: "2 more days! I am just not loving the book I'm trying to read. Maybe because I'm anticipating the Make Me Read it Read-a-thon that starts Saturday, where I'll start a new book based on the vote I h..."

I started out feeling my TBR was pretty ambitious for myself but I'm liking where I'm at so far. I didn't really enjoy the last book I read (it was ok) but I'm still pushing through.

What I notice sometimes with read-a-thons: it is difficult for me to transition from one book to the next. Sometimes I read something serious and I'm not ready to go to a lighthearted book.

However, this time I feel like I followed a "girly" theme and it's working out well!

Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (jaffacaffa) | 166 comments Despite the rough week, I just finished the The View from the Cheap Seats Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman audiobook (with 30 mins to spare before I'd have to return it to Overdrive)! Pleased with it all things considering, and hopefully the latter half of the month includes a lot more reading. :)

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable reading week!

message 32: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay I want to listen to that one too Ashley, I've really started liking him, and loved listening to his audios where he is the reader. :)

Last day! Make it a big one!

message 33: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay Great job everyone! See you next month!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.