Stephen King Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Let's hear our least favorite King books (if that's even possible)!!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Mr. Mercedes.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 50 comments The Tommyknockers.

message 4: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments Is Mr. Mercedes that bad?

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Roadwork

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Locke | 9 comments I really liked Mr Mercedes. I did not care for Dreamcatchers. There were parts I liked and could get into, but overall felt it was below par for a King book.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Colton wrote: "Is Mr. Mercedes that bad?"

Oh yes... I've been reading King for 25 years and it's the only book that he's written that I've hated from the first line and actually had to force myself to finish. I can't bring myself to read the second or third books in the series yet... though my completionism will make me do it eventually.

message 8: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "The Tommyknockers."

^this

message 9: by Squire (last edited Jun 20, 2016 11:22PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Version

It's too bad the original is OOP. Generations of new Constant Readers will never know how great this book once WAS unless they scour the internet or back alley bookshops for the 1978 version. The 1990 version is an unfocused mess.

Others in the least favorite category:

Rose Madder
Black House
Finder's Keepers

and it's a toss-up for the last spot in my bottom 5 bewteen

Insomnia and the other two Bill Hodges books.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 49 comments Duma key
Black House
Finders keepers

I did like mr mercedes though:)
Currently started end of Watch

message 11: by Jamesv (new)

Jamesv | 4 comments End of Watch
The Dead Zone
Carrie
Cell

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments The only books I have disliked are Tommyknockers and the first of the gunslinger series. Didn't read the rest of the series as I hated the first one (Is it The Dark Tower?)

message 13: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments The three I really didn't like were insomnia, dreamcatcher and lisey's story

message 14: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments I also thought Mr Mercedes was poor and I'm in no rush to read the next two, I was lucky to get the old version of The Stand it was so old, yellowed and worn out some kind soul wrote over some parts which had worn off over the years

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Steve wrote: "The only books I have disliked are Tommyknockers and the first of the gunslinger series. Didn't read the rest of the series as I hated the first one (Is it The Dark Tower?)"

That would be The Gunslinger. But please try The Drawing Of The Three... It's so different. If you still don't like it, then at least you will have a better idea of what the series is really like. The first book doesn't really represent it well.

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill Murray REVIVAL..........long section in the middle that drags on and on. Ending did not satisfy, especially after enduring such a long journey.

message 17: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lenny_ray) | 20 comments Revival. It's the first time I've really agreed with the common criticism that King needs an editor that will put their foot down with him. It seemed very unfocused
Also The Gunslinger - I almost didn't go on with the series, because of it, but I'm glad I did.

message 18: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lenny_ray) | 20 comments Squire wrote: "The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Version

It's too bad the original is OOP. Generations of new Constant Readers will never know how great this book once WAS unless they scour the internet or back ..."

Interesting you say that. Because, I only got my hands on the uncut version, and after I was done, I was left scratching my head as to WHY this is considered one of his masterpieces. I liked it, but it didn't remotely live up to all the praise songs sung about it.

message 19: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 23 comments There was a string there of a few that I read as they were released, and they made me walk away from King for awhile:

Insomnia
Desperation
Regulators

11.22.63 is the book that brought me back a few years ago and I've been trying to catch back up!

message 20: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Becky wrote: "That would be The Gunslinger. But please try The Drawing Of The Three... It's so different. If you still don't like it, then at least you will have a better idea of what the series is really like. The first book doesn't really represent it well. "

Agreed - Drawing of the Three is one of the best . . . you should not base this series on the first book!

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Lenny wrote: "Squire wrote: "The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Version

It's too bad the original is OOP. Generations of new Constant Readers will never know how great this book once WAS unless they scour the internet or back ..."

Interesting you say that. Because, I only got my hands on the uncut version, and after I was done, I was left scratching my head as to WHY this is considered one of his masterpieces. I liked it, but it didn't remotely live up to all the praise songs sung about it. "

I found this comment curious, too. I have only read the cut version and people keep telling me I am missing out. This may be the first time I have heard it the other way. I am giving the uncut one a go soon!

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 149 comments Colton wrote: "Is Mr. Mercedes that bad?"

I didn't think so; my husband and I enjoyed it. It's just a different kind of "horror," more crime novel.

message 23: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Worst King books:
1. The Gunslinger - 1/5
2. The Stand - 2/5
3. Gerald's Games & Dolores Claiborne - 2/5

Out of the four The Gunslinger is just plain awful with no redeeming quality whatsoever. The Stand begged for an editor and a better ending while the companion pieces Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne seemed like a King experiment to write something different that went all wrong.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments My least favorite was Revival, but having said that, I didn't hate it, I'll just likely not re-read it.

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments The Tommyknockers

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Desperation
Dreamcatcher
From a Buick 8

message 27: by Squire (last edited Jun 21, 2016 10:26PM) (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Lenny wrote: "Interesting you say that..."

Matthew wrote: "I found this comment curious, too..."

I know I'm in the vast minority with this opinion. I found the 1990 edition to be sloppily edited; it cheapened the sacrifice of Glenn, Larry and Ralph; and other than a scene between Frannie and her father (which made her a more sympathetic character), it didn't really do anything for the story except make it lose it's focus (and add an unnecessary gag reflex with The Kid). I suppose it gave it a more "epic" feel, but it took a great novel that was actually studied in the college and law school I attended and turned it into an overlong Dark Tower tie-in.

I just get disheartened when a lot of newcomers to King get exposed to the 1990 version first. But I will reread both at some point in the future (the original for the 5th time, the 1990 version for the 2nd).

message 28: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments Becky wrote: "Steve wrote: "The only books I have disliked are Tommyknockers and the first of the gunslinger series. Didn't read the rest of the series as I hated the first one (Is it The Dark Tower?)"

That wou..."

Thanks Becky. I am going to give it a go!

message 29: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments Matthew wrote: "Becky wrote: "That would be The Gunslinger. But please try The Drawing Of The Three... It's so different. If you still don't like it, then at least you will have a better idea of what the series is..."

I just hated it Matthew BUT I am going to revisit

message 30: by Aditya (new)

Aditya Steve wrote: "I just hated it Matthew BUT I am going to revisit "

Just going to give you my opinion as I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, hated the Gunslinger and wondered whether DT is worth continuing. The Drawing of The Three, the second book is much better but I still gave up after the fourth one in the series as it goes absolutely nowhere. I just felt I wasted a lot of time revisiting the series but feel free to give it another shot if you want.

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 176 comments Thanks Aditya. Trouble is I have so many Books to Read on my to read list I am trying to read the best ones first before my life ends. (I have got over 1000 books to read!)

message 32: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 199 comments Steve wrote: "I just hated it Matthew BUT I am going to revisit"

Aditya wrote: "The Drawing of The Three, the second book is much better but I still gave up after the fourth one in the series as it goes absolutely nowhere."

I'm not saying this series is for everyone. Some people consider the 4th book one of his best. It can be quite a large commitment if you are not enjoying parts of it.

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2087 comments Insomnia

message 34: by Emanuela (last edited Jun 24, 2016 09:30AM) (new)

Emanuela | 17 comments The Dreamcatcher... I read it several years ago and it felt like a long agony, I forced myself to finish it but if I could go back I would drop it after a few pages.
Mr Mercedes in my opinion is not bad, but I thought it would have been better since it was written by King... it has nothing special confronted to the many others thriller books around. (I hope I didn't make too many mistakes, I read the posts but I don't often write)

message 35: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 508 comments I agree about Mr Mercedes it was ok, poor for King I'm in no rush to get the next 2 books

message 36: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Barnett | 64 comments The only one I've actively disliked is Gerald's Game. Everything else by him has given me at the very least some enjoyment. Insomnia I actually put off for a while, hearing bad things about it, but I thought it was a beautiful book.

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Rose Madder
Dreamcatcher

Black House I'm a bit on the fence about. I will say that I do not think it a worthy successor to The Talisman. But as The Talisman remains my personal favorite King novel of all time I'm undoubtedly biased in that regard.

FWIW, I also seem to be the only person on the planet who was less than impressed by It. I'm not prepared to say it is among his worst, but the book is one I have no interest in ever doing a re-read of.

message 38: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3944 comments Patrick wrote: "Rose Madder
Dreamcatcher

Black House I'm a bit on the fence about. I will say that I do not think it a worthy successor to The Talisman. But as The Talisman remains my personal favorite King novel..."

It is one of my least favorites as well. There are many things about it I do like, but there are just as many I do not.

message 39: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments Dreamcatcher was one I had heard a lot of negative things about and I put it off til 2010. And even though the four main characters were really unlikeable, I found myself caught up in their dilemma. I didn't like the ending, though. I though it too pat and convenient.

I was able to hear King's frustration in his words as he recuperated from his accident and found myself empathizing with characters I didn't care about. It's one I would consider rereading at some point.

message 40: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Dooley (adox66) | 23 comments Jamesv wrote: "End of Watch
The Dead Zone
Carrie
Cell"

Wait wait wait. The Dead Zone is one of my favourites as is carry.
Cell I will give you. Read around 80 pages and gave up but may revisit.

I found The Tommyknockers a bit of a chore but it's a long time since I read it as I read it when it originally came out.

message 41: by Don (last edited Jun 25, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

Don Absolutely hated Desperation :D

Other books are Dreamcatcher, Duma Key and second half of Revival.

Can't remember Tommyknockers. I read it as a child and remembered I really liked it back then...

message 42: by Steven (new)

Steven Barras I still need to read 5/6 of his books so this could change but my least favourite at the moment is REVIVAL. This isnt to say that I hated the book I just didn't like the adult version of Jamie Morton.

message 43: by Steven (new)

Steven Barras The books I haven't read are...

Cycle of the Werewolf
End of Watch
Gerald's Game
The girl who loved Tom Gordon
Lisey's Story
The Tommyknockers

From what I've read on here, my least favourite King book will definitely change.

message 44: by George (new)

George Harting (gharting) | 31 comments Dreamcatcher
Lisey's Story

message 45: by Tom (new)

Tom | 78 comments Dreamcatcher is when I gave up on King. I stopped reading him until I was gifted Under the Dome for Christmas one year. Was still not impressed and I didn't really start reading King again until Dr. Sleep (how could I not read a sequel to the Shining). Then I found Duma Key and Lisey's Story and I am hooked again. Now I have to go back and read all the ones I skipped!

message 46: by George (new)

George Harting (gharting) | 31 comments Dreamcatcher is the only King book I gave up on and didn't finish reading. I finished Lisey's Story but didn't like it much more than Dreamcatcher. The Mr. Mercedes series I did enjoy though - reading End Of Watch now and so far, so good.

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kealy | 4 comments Firstly I have to say I absolutely love him. But...we all have off days. I would have to say least favourite:

Dreamcatcher
Dr Sleep
Insomnia

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kealy | 4 comments Oops and have to agree with quite a few other people...Tommyknockers.
Great name though!!!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 49 comments Insomnia started out really cool for me but then it got all kinds of crazy which was tough to read:)

message 50: by Randy (new)

Randy Not fussy on Cell (loved the first act though) or The Regulators. My least favourite was Buick 8 - it didn't grab my attention at all.