Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum - ★★

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:37PM) (new)

A sea captain, a little girl, magical mermaids, an evil wizard and an odd assortment of sea creatures all combined in an under-the-sea story. My thoughts turned to a fantastical, amazing ocean adventure created through L Frank Baum's imaginative writing abilities. YES? Sorry, no.

Unfortunately, this is my least favorite book that I have read by Baum so far. The story seemed to be driven by the need to include a wide variety of sea creatures and most were given unlikable human qualities. The mermaids thought the fish were stupid, the fiddler crabs played annoying songs and the clown crabs told stupid jokes. Even Trot, the young girl that was temporarily allowed to become a mermaid, was often rude and unlikable. Where is a character like Dorothy when you need her?

Since I this book was on my tbr for a while, I am glad to have finally read it. I am not sure who I would recommend the book to though. Maybe younger children who like mermaids and villians would appreciate the fantasy world that Baum created, flaws and all, especially since the story isn't a particularly deep or frightening one. In that case, I would suggest finding a copy with illustrations as a picture is worth a thousand words, or so I have been told. :)

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4909 comments I absolutely loved Wizard of Oz as a kid, but when I got older I outgrew it. When I read it as an adult to my kids I wondered what I saw in it. I guess his books are just for the very young.