LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

The Velveteen Rabbit
This topic is about The Velveteen Rabbit
Book Clubs - general/business > The Velveteen Rabbit: July 1-7

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey (traceyrb) 1st July-7th: The Velveteen Rabbit lead by Amy

Marlene | 15 comments Finally, I read "The Velveteen Rabbit". It is a well-written short story about a toy rabbit, who like Pinocchio, becomes "real" through self-sacrifice and being loved unconditionally. However, being real for the velveteen rabbit doesn't bring him back to his "loved-one" like it does in Pinocchio. In fact, he is barely recognized by his boy. Thus proving to me that being "real" for the bunny was perhaps harder than being "real" was for Pinocchio. I rather liked that thought. We are left to wonder if time won't dim the love li'l Velvie feels for his boy. That too is part of reality. So often the intense feelings we have at times in our lives are forgotten as we move on. This doesn't make them any less real, it just makes them further off.

The best thing about being real is that we can capture them again.

Tracey (traceyrb) Marlene wrote: "Finally, I read "The Velveteen Rabbit". It is a well-written short story about a toy rabbit, who like Pinocchio, becomes "real" through self-sacrifice and being loved unconditionally. However, bein..."

For me, the part of the rabbit becoming 'real' meant he returned to his own kind and reached the 'fullness of his creation' if you will. I believe this is the purpose of life. We can start out maybe in the wrong 'group' even when we love them, they can still be the wrong group for who we 'really' are.

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments I read this book today. We have had a Little Golden book version for years, but it was adapted from the original and missing a lot of text, so it was nice to read the full version. I have also seen a few different movie versions of this story in the past.

The whole concept of a toy becoming real has a lot of meaning in our home. My daughter has two stuffies that really became "real." They have even become the characters in short stories she has written. They are falling apart and very very worn, but they still move around the house and are loved. They really do seem real and a part of our family.

It really is a great classic story that I am sure everyone can relate to. As we go through life we age and become worn through trials (because God loves us), but when we reach the next stage and become resurrected we will be truly real.

Tracey (traceyrb) Katrina wrote: "I read this book today. We have had a Little Golden book version for years, but it was adapted from the original and missing a lot of text, so it was nice to read the full version. I have also seen..."

I like your comments and thoughts. Aldo, my daughter and son both have soft toys that they loved and have since been put on a shelf; but neither of them will throw them out. We, and they, get battered and worn out but our real worth becomes more precious to those who love us.

Nancy (zolaone) | 65 comments I have loved the Velveteen Rabbit for many years. I have read it many times, and read it to our sons. I remember loving many of my toys, and thinking about them coming to life, when I went to bed. The Velveteen rabbit was there for the little girl, when she needed him. People come into our lives at the times we need them, and then they leave us to go on with their own lives. The Velveteen rabbit becomes real, and he goes on to live his life as a rabbit.

Tracey (traceyrb) I loved this sweet poignant book. Many things stood out for me;

"Real isn't how you are made. It's a thing that happens to you," said the Skin Horse. " When you are real you don't mind being hurt."

"It doesn't happen all at once. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen to people who break easily, or who have sharp corners. Generally, by the time you are real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out, and you get loose and very shabby. But these don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.

"Once you are Real, you can't unreal. It last forever."

If this doesn't mean something to you, then keep 'becoming' and it will.