LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

The Scarlet Pimpernel
This topic is about The Scarlet Pimpernel
Book Clubs - general/business > The Scarlet Pimpernel

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey (traceyrb) This is the thread for July's Classic Read lead by pianomom.

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Jun 25, 2016 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tracey (traceyrb) I am starting off the thread with the reading schedule of 8 chapters per week as there are 31 chapters in the book:

July 1-7: ch 1-8
July 8-14: ch 9-16
July 15-21: ch 17-24
July 22-28: ch 25-31

I have copied here a link to a site about the book and the authoress.
I look forward to reading this with you all. It looks good :)

http://www.scarletpimpernel.com/orczy...

Just to let you know, you can read or listen to the story from the above link.

Tracey (traceyrb) I have already started reading this an am already loving it.

Nancy (zolaone) | 65 comments I am almost finished reading and listening to the Scarlet Pimpernel. I read Les Meserables and learned a lot about French History from the view point of the poor people. This book gives a terrible picture of how the peasants killed the upper class people, by cutting off their heads with the guillotine. In this book the Scarlet Pimernel and his followers, work to save the lives of those aristocrats from the guillotine.

Tracey (traceyrb) Nancy wrote: "I am almost finished reading and listening to the Scarlet Pimpernel. I read Les Meserables and learned a lot about French History from the view point of the poor people. This book gives a terrible ..."

This period in French history is known as The Reign of Terror. And so it was for many. After the 'aristocrats' were killed, some of those involved in this revolution also found themselves in the same spot. A very frightening time. A time where justice was given only lip service and the Holy Ghost had no part in the face of such hatred and cruelty.

Tracey (traceyrb) I have just finished the book. It was entertaining even though it was about a dark period of French History. One touching scene was when Sir Percy kissed the places where his wife had walked. Not one I would read again.

Rosemary Markham I enjoyed reading this book. It was a different way to look at the French revolution other than Les Miserables; from the aristocratic point of view. After reading the book I watch on of the movies made (there are many). I watched the one with Jane Seymour. I enjoyed it.

Tracey (traceyrb) Rosemary wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book. It was a different way to look at the French revolution other than Les Miserables; from the aristocratic point of view. After reading the book I watch on of the movies ..."

Yes the Jane Seymour movie is my favourite version.