The Sword and Laser discussion

The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
This topic is about The Time Traders
2016 Reads > TTT: July 2016 Pick: The Time Traders by Andre Norton

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
Tom has decreed that The Time Traders by Andre Norton shall be the July pick.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments And it's FREE on Kindle! https://www.amazon.com/Time-Traders-A...

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6889 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "And it's FREE on Kindle! https://www.amazon.com/Time-Traders-A..."

Ooh. Thanks for that. I had to go to another library for a copy, that makes it easier.

message 4: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments Cool! Read that about two years back.

Andre Norton, from the time when women still had a hard time being taken seriously as SF writers. Weird to think about.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments It looks short.

I read one of her books when I was in the sixth grade. It was a world where cats were the "people." I can't seem to find the title easily in Goodreads, because Norton was so prolific, but I remember enjoying it.

I'm glad that we're reading a book from someone who is so well-regarded in the genre. It's amazing we haven't done so already, just shows how many good books there are out there (except for the pick I really didn't like. It knows which one it was)!

message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments ^ There's a lot of good Andre Norton available free or cheap from Amazon. It's a bit dated, but almost all of them are good reads.

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments The price is right.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments Other ebook formats here from an io9 article

http://manybooks.net/titles/nortona19...

I think it's free. I don't see a price.

Another book in the same series The Defiant Agents is also available

http://manybooks.net/titles/nortona25...

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments Quite a few free Andre Norton titles at manybooks.net, from the Project Gutenberg archives

http://manybooks.net/authors/nortona....

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments terpkristin wrote: "It looks short.

I read one of her books when I was in the sixth grade. It was a world where cats were the "people." I can't seem to find the title easily in Goodreads, because Norton was so prolif..."

Maybe Star Ka'at and Star Ka'at World?

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3600 comments Mod
It's also free in a couple of editions on iBooks as well.

For those getting a second hand paper edition or library copy, be aware that Andre updated this book in 2000, 42 years after it was originally published to reflect real world changes.

I would assume all the eBook versions will be post-2000 editions.

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2869 comments If people want it in non-Amazon format its free direct from her publisher, Baen, too. http://www.baen.com/categories/free-l...

Norton's one of those "I should read her stuff" authors for me but I never have. Glad we're doing this.

message 13: by Phil (last edited Jun 20, 2016 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 1152 comments Doing a little investigating on Amazon, there seems to be two versions available.
1. Time Traders (without the "The") is free but also about 20 pages shorter than the other. Reading the reviews seems to indicate that it is somewhat revised from the original.
2. The Time Traders is $1.26 (Canadian) and is longer than the other. None of the reviews of this one indicate any revisions but who knows.

Edit: Looking on Wikipaedia it seems that Norton revised it herself in 2000 to reflect real world changes since she wrote it.

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments One of the editions also includes the second book, The Galactic Derelict.

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 506 comments Did someone say "time travel"? Looks like I'm in for another month then!

Yes, it looks like a short read - but if that means I get back to my TBR list sooner then that's all good too.

As noted above - the Amazon (UK) edition is free, is the year 2000 edition and includes the second book in the series - although this fact isn't advertised anywhere on the web page!

message 16: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I read and enjoyed Beast Master's Planet: Omnibus of Beast Master and Lord of Thunder by her. It's about Hosteen Storm, a member of the Dine people (Navajo) in spaaaaace!

message 17: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (javabird) | 710 comments This looks like fun :)

message 18: by Shaunesay (new)

Shaunesay | 13 comments I'm in too! Time Travel fills in a bingo square for another challenge I'm in! ;)

message 19: by Shad (new)

Shad (splante) | 351 comments Looks like you can get the audio of it free on LibriVox as well.

https://librivox.org/the-time-traders...

message 20: by Warren (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:25PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Another time travel book?
( I always try as sample of the picks but have yet to find a time travel fantasy that I like. The price for the kindle version is certainly reasonable) Oh well ,I have a long back log of books that I've yet to get to

message 21: by Darren (new)

Darren terpkristin wrote: "It looks short.

I read one of her books when I was in the sixth grade. It was a world where cats were the "people." I can't seem to find the title easily in Goodreads, because Norton was so prolif..."

Catseye?

message 22: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments The closest description so far seems to be The Mark of the Cat but that title isn't sticking out in my memory. And the story doesn't quite fit but it seems closest to my recollection.

message 23: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Found it! Breed to Come.

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments Photo of Andre Norton with her cat in this article about one of her short stories about cats.

http://genxpose.blogspot.com/2015/05/...

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Mark wrote: "Photo of Andre Norton with her cat in this article about one of her short stories about cats.

http://genxpose.blogspot.com/2015/05/..."

I think I have that same monitor..

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1899 comments Gosh, I don't know about the cost of this one, might be too expensive, but...maaaaaybe I could stretch to that kindle version. ;P

Sounds fun!

message 27: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Looking forward to this. The only Norton I've read is Merlin's Mirror, a neat ancient astronauts take on the Arthurian legends, though somewhere I have a copy of Brother to Shadows I never got around to reading.

Trivia: Norton is one of only three women listed in Appendix N, the section at the back of the 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide where Gary Gygax listed his biggest literary inspirations for the Dungeons & Dragons game. (The other two are Leigh Brackett and Margaret St. Clair.) Norton might be one of the few authors in Appendix N to have played D&D with Gygax though.

message 28: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments I'm glad there is a revised edition. I read Star Soldiers last year and some of it was terribly dated.

message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2294 comments I've read a bunch of Norton, but I don't think I read this particular volume.

My biggest memory of Norton is coming home with one of her books and getting into an argument with my parents about her gender -- they assumed she was a man based on her use of "Andre" as a pen-name. But I can't take too much credit -- I assumed she was a woman because I didn't know that Andre is actually a man's name.

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 263 comments The free Baen edition is the revised one it looks like as it has a second copyright on it and it includes Galactic Derelict. The free Amazon one with the generic cover seems to be the original text as that is in public domain, I guess.

message 31: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jun 24, 2016 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3600 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "The free Amazon one with the generic cover seems to be the original text as that is in public domain, I guess."

The Kindle (Amazon) copy is the 2000 revised version with "Galactic Derelict". It is identical to the Baen edition.

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Hey, nice! I've been meaning to read more Norton. So far I've only read "Sargasso of Space" (in the German translation, no less), but I really enjoyed that.

message 33: by Lara (new)

Lara | 24 comments I'm not a fan of time travel stories, but grew up reading a lot of Norton's books. She was a favorite of mine.

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 263 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Robert wrote: "The free Amazon one with the generic cover seems to be the original text as that is in public domain, I guess."

The Kindle (Amazon) copy is the 2000 revised version with "Galactic D..."

I downloaded both versions Baen and Generic and this one has different text from the very beginning https://www.amazon.com/Time-Traders-A... Copyright info says 1958 whereas the Baen one has 1958 and 2000. A plus side to the already free generic one is you can do whispersync for this for only $1.99.

message 35: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments It would be awesome if she totally changed the ending and everyone got into a huge argument about what happened because we read different versions.

message 36: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Andre Norton was one of the first authors I read in SF when I was 8 or 9 in the late 70s. These short and fast paced books are part of what hooked me for life. It will be interesting to read again for the change in worldview as much as anything. I personally enjoy the anachronisms in older SF, you have to accept the time people wrote in as much as the time they are writing about.

message 37: by Buzz (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 346 comments terpkristin wrote: "And it's FREE on Kindle! https://www.amazon.com/Time-Traders-A..."

Just want to clarify to everyone: The newest/revised version on Kindle is HERE https://amzn.com/B004TS8GEG. It is also free. You have to search for "THE Time Traders" and it has the generic cover.

I have also verified that this is the version that matches the free audio book from LibriVox that Shad pointed out: https://librivox.org/the-time-traders....
Or if you want whyspersync, you can add the Audible version for $1.99. This is only available for "The Time Traders" as the original Time Traders (unrevised) does not appear to have an audio version.

The free version by Baen appears to be the unrevised original.

Hopefully we're all reading the same version! :-)

message 38: by Buzz (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 346 comments Robert wrote: "I downloaded both versions Baen and Generic and this one has different text from the very beginning https://www.amazon.com/Time-Traders-A... Copyright info says 1958 whereas the Baen one has 1958 and 2000... "

The copyright of the Baen listing is just 1958. Baen itself first published the book in 2000, but that's not the actual copyright info. I'm pretty sure the generic cover version from Amazon is the revised version. It also has the audio available.

message 39: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair I don't want to read the revised version. I am fine with reading something dated; it tends to happen with things written in the past.

message 40: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments The LibriVox version is presumably the older one. It refers to "the Reds" a lot; the newer Kindle version refers to "the Russians."

message 41: by Mark (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments I don't think it matters which version we read. The revisions only modernize references. For example, the original 1958 text (from Gutenberg) that references "satellite launchings":

(view spoiler)

(http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19145)

is updated to "moon landings" in the Baen edition text from 2000:

(view spoiler)

(http://www.baen.com/time-traders.html)

Other changes like, "Russians" for "Reds" as Serendi pointed out, are meant for an audience that grew up later than the author.

message 42: by Mark (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments I couldn't resist buying the first paperback edition (still available for less than modern paperbacks). Aliens, barbarians, and Russians?

message 43: by Dominik (last edited Jun 29, 2016 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Mark wrote: "I couldn't resist buying the first paperback edition (still available for less than modern paperbacks). Aliens, barbarians, and Russians?

"

I believe mine's the first hardcover edition, and just about as pulp-tastic as this one. It's still in the mail, though, so I can't say for sure.

This is the picture on the Amazon listing, anyway

message 44: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2482 comments Dominik wrote: "This is the picture on the Amazon listing, anyway"

It's the Discovery One! Planted drive end down.

message 45: by Dominik (last edited Jun 29, 2016 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Mark wrote: "Dominik wrote: "This is the picture on the Amazon listing, anyway"

It's the Discovery One! Planted drive end down."

Heh. How very Perry Rhodan :D
Edit: Oooooh. Now it clicked. Please don't hurt me, I'm tired :P

Richard | 99 comments When I saw we were reading an Andre Norton book, I strained my brain to remember where is read her before... Didn't she co-write some books with Mercedes lackey? Yes, she did, the halfblood chronicles series, which I know I read because I remember the covers sitting on my shelves for many years, but the plot description only seems vaguely familiar now.

Bit wait, she wrote another book that I read... Or rather, attempted to read. Because quag keep is the worst book I've read in the last year by far. It is the first dungeons and dragons book, and the protagonist kept thinking he was hearing dice rolling, and I just dropped it after thirty pages.

But I'm not letting that put me off this pick! I'm looking forward to reading an Andre Norton book that lives up to her reputation!

message 47: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments I started reading this last night and the beginning reminds me very much of Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. Will Veronica 'lem' this one too?

message 48: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments ^ This is an engaging SF / time travel story and is full of pulpy goodness. But it is from the pulp era. The book was enough to get me back into Andre Norton from having read scattered books of hers in the pre-digital era, of whatever I could find in the used bookstore (the Science Fantasy Bookstore of Cambridge, MA, if anyone remembers.) I read a bunch of Andre Norton after this one. They are almost all enjoyable, but they do reflect their era.

message 49: by Minsta (new)

Minsta | 104 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^ This is an engaging SF / time travel story and is full of pulpy goodness. But it is from the pulp era. The book was enough to get me back into Andre Norton from having read scattered books of her..."

Are you referring to Pandimonium (used to be in Harvard Sq)?

I am enjoying Time Traders (both the book and the cost :) ) and I like the references to tape - I remember listening to reel to reel tapes back in the late 60's and it was high tech to me. I am a quarter of the way through the book and my copy (from iBooks) refers to the "Russians". Due to the current political climate the book does not feel as dated as it may have about 10 to 15 years ago. This book actually feels less dated to me than the book Time and Again - maybe because of the female character Cassca, who seems much more independent than any of the women in Time and Again.

message 50: by Michael (last edited Jul 01, 2016 09:29AM) (new) - added it

Michael (mepcotterell) | 10 comments Minsta wrote: "[...] I am a quarter of the way through the book and my copy (from iBooks) refers to the "Russians". Due to the current political climate the book does not feel as dated as it may have about 10 to 15 years ago. [...]"

I have the same copy through iBooks as well, I think? Does your copy also contain "Galactic Derelict"?

« previous 1