The Great Book Club of 2016 discussion

What's your Great Comet dream cast?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (last edited Jun 20, 2016 02:25PM) (new)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments Inspired by https://www.instagram.com/broadwaydre...
Natasha
Really I can't imagine anyone but Phillipa Soo and it would be really nice if we kept up the tradition of having POC actresses play Natasha, since a million white actresses have played a similar role, so if you have any ideas, post. I haven't heard Nikki M. James, but she played another Dave Malloy character named Natalya (Natalya Satina in Preludes) and she played a role that was also played by Denee Benton and some people say she could be Eliza.

Sonya
Sara Bareilles
Jasmine Cephas Jones
Renee Elise Goldsberry

Marya
Olga Merediz
Renee Elise Goldsberry

Pierre
Christopher Jackson
Leslie Odom Jr (maybe in a couple years)
the guy who played Kevin in In the Heights??

Anatole
Ryan McCartan

Dolokhov
Daveed Diggs (I know it's a small part, but still, his voice is like perfect)

Helene
Jasmine Cephas Jones
An older Phillipa Soo

message 2: by Krissy (new)

Krissy | 6 comments Like the above comment, I can't see anyone as Natasha besides Pippa and Denee.

Sonya- Samantha Barks

Marya- Jessie Mueller
Sierra Boggess (not sure on how to spell that)
Idina Menzel (someone's gonna cringe but oh well)

Pierre- Lin-Manuel Miranda (like absolutely a dream)
Ramin Karimloo

Anatole- I loved Ryan as JD, so I'd have to agree with above in this one. But Anthony Ramos would be cool too.

Dolokhov- I could so see Daveed in this role! I think he could get so in character and bring out a side that we've never seen.

Helene- Jasmine Cephas Jones. She oozes sexiness and charm. Plus, she would totally SLAY!

Balaga- Okierete (not going to butcher his last name) Oak would be perfect because he is so fun and adorable, like Balaga. (Am I the only one who considers Balaga adorable?)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments I think Anthony could work too! And Lin. I would see Jessie as more of a Sonya, but who knows. Oh yeah, and oak would be great (Balaga is kind of adorable but don't say that to his face)

message 4: by Caelin (new)

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
Honestly I really stand behind Lucas Steele as Anatole so he would be in my dream cast! And I'd LOVE Jasmine as Helene! someone should get her to sing Charming!!!!

message 5: by Krissy (new)

Krissy | 6 comments Heaven knows that in a movie version they'd throw in Amanda Seyfried xD. Probably as Natasha or Sonya

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments she doesn't seem like either. Sonya's too small apart and I'm not sure about Natasha. I don't see it as being a role for some big-shot superstar or anything

message 7: by Krissy (new)

Krissy | 6 comments She's not my actual casting. I was just poking fun at how she gets these big roles in musical movies.

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments she has a decent voice, but I don't see her as any of them

message 9: by Krissy (new)

Krissy | 6 comments Same. She can take the mainstream musicals. We'll keep the slightly unknown ones. (Until Great Comet explodes in popularity)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments I hope it doesn't because a) its obscurity is an appeal and b) I'm hoping to use No One Else for an audition and hope none of the Super Extra Theater kids (thanks the blog post about musical fandoms at school) use it as well because then I'd be screwed. I do hope it becomes more popular and wins all the Tonys but not that it becomes no longer the scrappy anbd hungry thing we don't have in Hamilton now that it's a big hit and all.

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments If Ashley Park has a decent lower range, she could be Natasha. Granted, she'd be different than Denee or Pippa but she'd work

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments who is he??

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments the first woman in the recording here could be Marya http://www.playbill.com/article/exclu...

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments I heard Leslie Odom Jr's cover of "Good For you by Selena Gomez and I was just remembering that he would probably be a better Anatole than Pierre

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments Carleigh Bettiol as Natasha

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments so I've been thinking of a Hetalia great comet and as far as appearances are concerned, Nyo Finland should be Princess Mary

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments @Alex
I listened to a bit of Ramin and Samantha singing a duet and I think she could be either Sonya or Natasha and he could be Pierre