Goodreads Ireland discussion

Continental Challenge 2016 > Fifth continent-Asia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Serf (new)

Serf Continuing our book travels to our next continent Asia. This section will start on the16th July and finish up on the 3rd September so everyone has loads of time yet.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Cool. I was wondering what was up next.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I've two options for this one, Norwegian Wood or The Orphan Master's Son. Not sure which I'll read yet. I'll see what mood I'm in at the time.

message 4: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm currently icebound in Antarctica and I may be stuck there for some time!! Wise decision not to leave this one til last Seraphina ;-)

Not sure what asian read will be. I'm considering Elephant Moon.

message 5: by Margo (last edited Jun 21, 2016 04:03PM) (new)

Margo Emma, I listened to 1Q84 by Haruki Murakamirecently and though the premise was great I didn't think much of the story. The orphan masters son sounds interesting.

message 6: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments I currently have The Orphan Master's Son listed as my book for this continent. I may still change this as I started reading this book and just couldn't get into it. I'll see what happens.

message 7: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn My choice for Asia is The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh. Looking forward to it.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul I'm reading Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu.
He is Taiwanese. I might also read Lian Hearne, Across the Nightingale floor. Shes from Oz but the book is set in a japanese style fantasy

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Margo I know Murakami is very much a personal taste author. He seems to be one everyone needs to try at some point though.

message 10: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 437 comments The 2 books Paul and Trelawn have chosen sound interesting. I've added them to my list. I'm still undecided what to read yet.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I think I will be reading Kafka on the Shore. I have read 1Q84 and really liked it.I also read Norweigan Wood and I didn't care for that much I missed the bizarre setting of 1Q84.

message 12: by Serf (new)

Serf If anyone is still stuck for their pick
http://theculturetrip.com/asia/articl...

message 13: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments I'm not in this reading challenge BUT Kafka on the Shore looks good.

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo One I read and last year was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Three Sisters was recommended to me by a book club friend but I have a feeling we will be reading that on the club at some stage. The Garden of Evening Mists was my original choice for this but then the library chaged its entire stock!

message 15: by SherryRose (last edited Jul 08, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments I read a review of Kafka on the Shore which actually included some paragraphs from the book. The reviewed gave a brief summary and I took it off of my tbr shelf. Yuck! No thanks

Not only does it sound bizarre, which I can handle but it's also pretty sordid and a little gross. I shouldn't read reviews before I read a book but I feel like I've been spared.

message 16: by Margo (new)

Margo Sherry wrote: "I read a review of Kafka on the Shore which actually included some paragraphs from the book. The reviewed gave a brief summary and I took it off of my tbr shelf. Yuck! No thanks

Not o..."

Based on my experience with 1Q84 I'd say you had a lucky escape Sherry ;-)

message 17: by Serf (new)

Serf You can still join the challenge sherry, some books you've already read might cover some of the continents?

message 18: by Margo (new)

Margo Oh yes Sherry, do join in, just steer clear ohHaruki Murakami if you want to enjoy it ;-)

message 19: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1536 comments Mod
I am focused on my US/UN challenge, but I could post books that I have read that qualify. Must I post in separate thrads?

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) You would need to post them in their respective continents Thomas to keep things tidy and so people will see them if they are looking for inspiration for a particular continent. Seraphina opens a new thread for each continent a few weeks before we begin that leg. There's a folder called continental challenge where you will find the threads. Link below. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 21: by Thomas (new)

Emma, all but one of my books are not in the right time frame. That one The Origin by Irving Stone is only one third in South America.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) That's allowed Thomas. Some of us have selected books for certain continents only partially set in that continent, most notably Antarctica.

message 23: by Serf (new)

Serf Thomas, the books don't have to be read within the time frames. That's only a guideline to give people a push to read their picks. If you've read any south American picks outside of that or before the end of the year, you can include it :)

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Emma, both of the above books were read in May, 2016.

message 27: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Margo wrote: "Oh yes Sherry, do join in, just steer clear ohHaruki Murakami if you want to enjoy it ;-)"

I won't have any problem avoiding him lol!

message 28: by Serf (new)

Serf I'm starting my pick for this today, a bit early, Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
One of my friends called this a 'mammy's book' so I'm not too sure what to expect from that

message 29: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I'm starting my pick as well. The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh

message 30: by Serf (new)

Serf Just reading that wild swans which I've picked for this section is still banned in mainland china.

message 31: by Margo (new)

Margo Oh no, it must contain dangerous ideas LOL

message 32: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I have gotten nowhere with my pick yet. not the book's fault, just having a really busy week and can't get a decent run at it

message 33: by Serf (new)

Serf Today's the official start of this section of our challenge. Hope everyone enjoys their picks

message 34: by Margo (new)

Margo I'm tempted by your pick Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China so I'm interested to see your thoughts on it.

message 35: by Emma (last edited Jul 17, 2016 01:52AM) (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I've started into The Orphan Masters Son which Seraphina sent me for Christmas. Since I know nothing about North Korea it seemed like a good choice for the challenge.

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo I'd say an insight into north Korea could be very interesting. It's such an alien culture.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Alien is probably the polite way of putting it Margo. It basically seems to be like Soviet Russia or Communist China (at its peak as opposed to now) but worse and crazier.

message 38: by Serf (new)

Serf Only about 100 pages into wild swans and can see why it's still banned. It tells the history of how china was broken up into divisions and led to communist china as well as these 3 women's lives. Interesting so far, a cruel nation to be a woman in.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This could shape up to be a very interesting continent from a social perspective as culturally a number of major countries are significantly removed from western culture.

message 40: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm reading Kafka on the Shore . I know he isn't popular with the group but I find him oddly interestingly weird and I love how confusing and interlocking his novels tend to be. I also have The Orphan Master's Son but I don't know if I'm in the mood for sch an intense novel but I might change my mind

message 41: by Margo (new)

Margo I think you either love him or you don't. His mammory obsession is mostly what I remember ;-)

message 42: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn I picked a bad week to start my read. Mad busy in work as my two colleagues are on holiday, we are contemplating moving house and our son has acquired two babies (stuffed animals) that we have to dress and mind. He also has acquired an indoor an outdoor plant ( which i have to somehow keep alive) and as if all that wasn't enough I allowed myself be talked into buying a goldfish. Somehow a book on Burma is just not dragging me in yet.

message 43: by Paul (new)

Paul I'll be starting my read during the week hopefully. A Taiwanes writer Wesley Chu with Lives of Tao.

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo Sounds like you have quite a menagerie going Trelawn. And a growing nursery between babies and plants haha

message 45: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Starting to resemble an asylum Margo but it's also very cute watching him mind his babies and talk to the outdoor plant (bertie the bush). his imagination is amazing

message 46: by Margo (new)

Margo Sounds wonderful :-)

message 47: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 0 comments Aww I miss the baby days.

message 48: by Serf (new)

Serf Just finished my pick wild swans, here's my review although I must say i'll prob need more time to digest it fully:
Having little to no knowledge on the history of Chinese politics and culture this book nearly made my head implode a bit. How do I not know about a leader who was to china what hitler was to Germany?
It's an eye opening account of life through the communist leadership of Mao and how the lives of three generations of Chinese women were affected throughout this. The suffering endured by the Chinese people during this time was horrendous and led to a nation where independent thought and free speech led to death.
It's unbelievable. I could prob go on in a tangent but it's prob easier to just read the book.

message 49: by Margo (new)

Margo Sometimes my lack of knowledge of the world, past and present, shames me. I have added that book to my trb.

message 50: by Serf (new)

Serf Ya I have to say my knowledge on that part of the world is lacking but the leaders have strong control over what gets published and shown to the people still to the present day. I will def read more on it I think.

« previous 1 3