Court of Roses discussion

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Astra (new)

Astra  (sayomina) | 1 comments .

message 2: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel stood on the lake shore with a boat for two, waiting for Arrianette. He didn't want to seem desperate but now he was beginning to be slightly worried she was not coming. Also, if he stood here for much longer, someone would see him and grow suspicious.

message 3: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette was wearing a pale silver gown with a brocaded bodice. Her hair was down and it fell to the middle of her back in natural curls. She walked briskly, although not fast enough to draw extra attention to herself. She had awoken later than she had planned, and she had looked worse for the wear thanks to at least three glasses of champagne. With the help of bath and makeup, she looked presentable. Unfortunately, baths and makeup take up a fair amount of time so she had skipped breakfast and scarfed down a croissant that one of her maids had gotten from the kitchen while in her room. She exited the castle, the cool morning air making her feel refreshed and awake.

message 4: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel looked around, slightly concerned Caspian had invited her to do something with him and she hadn't been able to refuse. When he saw her exit the castle, however, he felt a wave of relief wash over him. He didn't understand why, though. She was only a lady of court, there were many like her. Why did he think she was so special? Even Nathaniel didn't know yet.

message 5: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette's eyes fell on Nathaniel as she made her way to the lake. She suppressed a smile as she approached him. "Good morning, Prince Nathaniel," Arianette said, with a nod. It was quite improper of her not to curtsy in the presence of someone of higher status than her, but she didn't feel as though Nathaniel had earned that of her. Not yet, at least.

message 6: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel put on his usual smirk, though he wanted to smile, and bowed. "Good Morning, Lady Arianette," He greeted and stood up normally again. "Are you ready for a boat ride?" He asked and held out his hand so he could help her into the boat.

message 7: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Yes, although I must say that this is only my second time in a boat," Arianette said, taking his hand and stepping into the boat, "The first was the ship I sailed on to get here." He was very formal with her, which made a small simper form on her lips. He was flattering her with formality that was quite generous for a woman of her status.

message 8: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel smirked and got in the boat after her and pushed off the shore with his oar. "Well you no need to fear, M'Lady. I often go rowing back in England in the early mornings. It clears my head, helps me relax and forget the problems the coming day holds." He said, somewhat shocked with himself for being so open with her. He began rowing, his body and ears used to the rhythm of the movements and the sound of the paddles breaking the surface of the water.

message 9: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "I used to do the same thing with horseback riding," Arianette said with a small smile, thinking back to her early morning rides. She watched as he rowed, finding the sounds of the paddles hitting the water to be quite relaxing. "What was your life like in England? Surely they're missing their prince while he's away."

message 10: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel frowned slightly at her question and looked down as he stopped paddling. "No. They aren't. You see, I'm second in line for the throne. It's my brother who will become king, not me. No one cares where I am unless I'm on the battle field of war or if I'm dead." He said softly, a small scowl forming on his face.

message 11: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "That's no excuse for them not to care," Arianette said, "Should something happen to your brother, the people of England will need to turn to you." The line of succession for the throne changed often, and being second in line wasn't a bad position. It wasn't uncommon for rulers to pass away or for them to be overthrown.

message 12: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Spades wrote: ""That's no excuse for them not to care," Arianette said, "Should something happen to your brother, the people of England will need to turn to you." The line of succession for the throne changed oft..."

Nathaniel smiled slightly at Arianette seemingly rushing to his defense. "Thank you, M'Lady. That is somewhat comforting." He said before going back to rowing and a smirk falling back onto his lips. "So, what is your life like back in Scotland?" He asked her, changing the topic.

message 13: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Well, I'm a countess in my own right, so I spend most of my time managing my estate," Arianette said, "It keeps me busy, so I don't have a lot of time for things like boat rides and balls in Scotland. I took a risk and decided to come here in hopes of finding someone to spend my time with. I left my estate in the hands of a trusted adviser of mine for the time being, but perhaps I won't have a need to return." She dipped the tips of her fingers into the cool water as she spoke, not making direct eye contact with Nathaniel. She had lived a lonely life with no living members of her family to speak of and no men who wanted to be with a woman who held too much power in her own right.

message 14: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel looked at Arrianette wide eyed. He couldn't believe she ran her own estate by herself. No wonder she seemed so confident and had a sense of power about her. Nathaniel was immensely impressed. "That's incredible of you that you're a Countess in your own right and manage your own affairs. Very few women could do such a thing. And none could do it with such ease, grace, and beauty as you. And I give you my word as a Prince that everything I have just said is true, not simple words of flattery and flirting." He told her, no smirk on his face as he said this.

message 15: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette looked up from the water to meet his eyes. "Most people don't think of it that way," Arianette said, "But then again, you aren't most people, are you?" A small smile formed on her lips as she looked at him. Her eyes seemed to examine him as though he was something entirely new and foreign to her. It wasn't a bad thing, and she was certainly intrigued by him.

message 16: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel smiled slightly, not bothering to hide it with a smirk at a moment. "I'll take that as a compliment." He told her and continued to paddle till they were at the other side of the lake. Nathaniel got out, not caring that his boots and trousers got wet as he pulled the boat onto the shore and grabbed a picnic basket from the boat.

message 17: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette stepped out of the boat and onto the shore. From here, no one would be able to see them, and even if they were able to, they wouldn't be able to recognize them. She hadn't even noticed the picnic basket until he pulled it out of the boat. She hadn't had a picnic since she was a child, and the thought of having one here was nostalgic and charming.

message 18: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel half smiled and half smirked as he anchored the boat and set out the picnic blanket and sat down, opening the basket and pulling out a gord of juice, several fruits, wrapped meats and sausages, and wrapped pastries, as well as a clogged pitcher of Coffee and two mugs. "When you didn't arrive to breakfast I thought you might be hungry." He told her, his smirk somewhat of a smile as well.

message 19: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette's cheeks showed a faint trace of blush. "I was hoping that no one would notice," she said. She figured that with so many other court members, she wouldn't be missed at breakfast. He had been right about her being hungry, though.

message 20: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel chuckled slightly and smirked at her. "It's hard not to notice when the person you want to see the most is not there." He told her truthfully. He began setting up the plates and then offered her a cup of coffee.

message 21: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "I'm sure you found another woman to flirt with in my absence," Arianette said, her voice teasing. She took the cup and sipped from it. She usually drank coffee every morning, but she hadn't had any today. The bittersweet drink made her feel warm and awake.

message 22: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel shook his head, looking out at the lake. "No, I didn't." He said, picking up a small, smooth flat stone. "I tried but, no matter who I talked to, you were stuck in my head the entire time." He told her, skipping the stone across the lake.

message 23: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Did I really leave that much of an impression?" Arianette asked with a laugh, "Or is this what you tell all of the women when they ask if you've been flirting with anyone else?" She drank from her cup as she watched him skip stones.

message 24: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel shook his head and smiled at her, no smirk on his face at all. "I'm being completely truthful. I don't know what it is about you, Arianette, but you are unlike any woman I've ever met and probably ever will meet." He said, looking deeply into her eyes.

message 25: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette set her cup down on the blanket, surprised at how serious he was about all of this. She felt her cheeks grow warm with a blush that not even makeup could hide. "Every time I feel like I have you figured out, you surprise me with something new," She said, not breaking eye contact with him.

message 26: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel smiled softly at her, brushing a strand of hair from her face and tucking it behind her ear gently. "I'm full of surprises. But it's all because of you. I never even knew I could be this open or care about someone so much before I met you." He told her truthfully.

message 27: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments His touch was cool against her warm skin. She stared at him with wide eyes. She hadn't heard anyone say that they cared for her in a very long time. "You're giving me too much credit," Arianette said, "But thank you." She placed her hand on the blanket beside him, bringing her closer to him. She looked at him with uncertainty for a moment, as though she was nervous, before kissing him.

message 28: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel smiled slightly when she kissed him, a little caught off guard before gently kissing her back, not wanting to ruin it. He slowly pulled away when he needed air and smiled softly at her. "You're more incredible with every moment." He said softly. "Even though it's against the law.... I can't help falling in love with you."

message 29: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "That just makes it more exciting," Arianette said with a smile. She hadn't felt this way when Prince Caspian kissed her. While she had considered that a victory at the time, the kiss didn't feel right to her. With Nathaniel, there was emotion behind it. It wasn't just a game to her.

message 30: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel chuckled slightly and kissed her again softly before pulling away, sighing slightly. "We should head back before they send the guards out to search for us." He said quietly. Though, he'd give up all his wealth just to stay out here, just the two of them, away from the rules of court and the world.

message 31: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Yes, we should," Arianette said, her lips parting to let out a small sigh. She longed to stay here, but he was right. The other court members would begin to get suspicious if they were both missing.

message 32: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel sighed and stood up before helping her to her feet gently before packing the basket and folding the blanket. He placed both back in the boat before offering his hand to Arianette to help her back into the boat once more.

message 33: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments Arianette took his hand, stepping into the boat. The sun was much higher in the sky than it was when she left the castle this morning, but she wasn't quite sure what time it was. Hopefully nobody noticed their absence. She had told her maid to inform people that she had too much to drink at the ball and wasn't wishing to see anyone if people came to her chambers.

message 34: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel pulled the anchor up and pulled the boat off the shore before getting in and rowing back out into the lake. He fell into the easy, familiar pattern of rowing. Nathaniel sighed as he saw the castle growing closer. "I wish we didn't have to return." He said softly.

message 35: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "As do I," Arianette said, "But we'll still see each other. We'll just have to keep this a secret." She offered him a small smile. She was more than a bit nervous about Caspian finding out and having her head. She was sure that Nathaniel would be fine, seeing as mistreating a prince would be an insult to England.

message 36: by ~Fangirl~ (last edited Jun 26, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel frowned slightly. "I'll not let him harm you." He told her firmly yet gently at the same time. "If you ever believe he knows and you're in danger I can give you sanctuary in England, you'll be well cared for and well off. I can even give you more land and property than you posses in Scotland. You'd be able to manage it the same."

message 37: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Don't worry about me, Nathaniel," Arianette said, "I'm stronger than you think." His offer was tempting, but she wasn't sure if she was ready to leave Scotland behind.

message 38: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel sighed as the boat reached the other side of the lake. "My offer will always stand. And if you need me, I'm always there. I wasn't lying when I said I'm falling in love with you." He told her and kissed her cheek before getting out of the boat, anchoring it, and then offering her his hand to get out of the boat.

message 39: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 175 comments "Thank you," Arianette said, taking his hand and exiting the boat, "I enjoyed today. I hope we can do this again sometime." She glanced back towards the castle. No one was around. Quickly, she kissed him again before stepping away. "Until we meet again, Prince Nathaniel," She said, before heading back towards the castle.

message 40: by ~Fangirl~ (new)

~Fangirl~ (fangirl1231) | 260 comments Nathaniel smiled when she kissed him and then tied the boat to a small nearby dock. He sighed before walking back to the castle, unsure of what the future held for him and Arianette. She was the first person he'd ever met who saw him for who he really was and brought the best out of him.