Archives > Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1099 comments Eleanor & Park
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

GR synopsis:
Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

I am reading this for my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a main character with the name of someone important to you (Eleanor - my great aunt). I was hesitant to read this book because it's a YA romance book. However, so far I've been really surprised by how deep and touching this book has been. It's not the typically one dimensional YA book that I seem to find myself reading. There are many layers to this book and some pretty rough subjects. These are perfect teenagers with perfect lives. It's not beautiful, but it is glorious.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1099 comments I love and hate the way this ended. It was one of those unhappy-happy endings. It worked perfect, but left so many questions that I need answers too. I almost cried. Almost.

4/5

message 3: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I liked the open end :)
I read it last year for the challenge and really enjoyed it. Some parts were moving and the characters were interesting.

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I liked this quite a lot when I read it last year. Sure it was a little clichéd but I really felt for the characters and I liked the ending.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I read this book last year, and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't quite as blown away with it as everyone else seemed to be, but it was a great book and I loved how realistic it seemed.

Stephanie (stephjeanne) | 10 comments I'm just diving into this book for my week two of 2017... I haven't been reminded of my days on a school bus in the 80's in a VERY long time! I'm not one to go for a "love story" of sorts...but I've heard great things about this and can't wait to see how it turns out!

Stephanie (stephjeanne) | 10 comments And a day later...I have finished my book for week 2 this year!

I didn't know anything about this book going into it, so I found it interesting that I went from All the Ugly and Wonderful Things to Eleanor and Park- both books dealing with young girls growing up in unhealthy/unfortunate family situations.

I have to remind myself that this is a YA book, so with that in mind, I thought this book was pretty good. I think the author handled the subject matter well and delivered it in a great way for young readers to be able to digest.

I'm relieved that Eleanor realizes that the choices her mother makes are not good for her or her siblings and that she recognized that she needed to get out and has the support of Park and his family to do so. I'm glad she had and aunt and uncle that took her in and provided a safe home for her to grow up in- UNLIKE idiot Brenda and her husband in All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, who utterly failed to provide that for Wavy.

I know it's a young love story and it definitely succeeds in that regard- it reminded me of my youth and all the inevitable highs and lows that come along with being a teenager. It pulled at my heart, it reminded me of the excitement of new love and finding that safe person to melt into. It made my stomach knot in the end and i got a little choked up honestly. it's a heartbreaker, but a hopeful one.

Samantha | 114 comments This was the first Rainbow Rowell book I had ever read and I personally really enjoyed it. I did not particularly like Eleanor, but I empathized with her. I think something Rowell does very well is developing her characters.

Akhil Subramanian (toruwatanbe) I have never been able to get myself to read any book that fell in this particular genre. Eleanor and Park was my first. It was just a very ordinary tale of two young teenagers. I liked the simplicity and the randomness it had.

Anne Katrin | 43 comments I finished this for week 2 and really liked it. I empathized with Eleanor and got so emotional about parts that I still can't properly put in words what I liked so much about this. I liked the quiet way the story is told and how Eleanor & Park get to know each other and fall in love slowly.

message 11: by SamZ (new) - rated it 4 stars

SamZ (samwisezbrown) | 182 comments I read this book for week 2: multiple POVs. I really liked the way Eleanor and Park both had very different personalities. I also loved the way Rowell shows that love is so dramatic for teenagers. I find it interesting that Eleanor never really thought they'd last forever and never even said "I love you" to Park, but Park immediately jumped in with declarations and future plans. I think it shows the vast difference between kids who have grown up with a steady example of what love is and a supportive family versus kids who are unsure if they are safe or wanted or loved.

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments I read this for week 49: A book from someone else's bookshelf. I read it in one night and rated it 4 stars.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I loved this book!

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I loved this book... But after I finished I couldn't stop thinking what the three words were :D

message 15: by Kelly (last edited Mar 25, 2017 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments oh I loved that book too!! and found the end a little vague. But I really hoped the words were something good! I really really loved this book... hope rainbow rowell writes something new soon!!!

Chrissy | 818 comments It took me a little while to warm up to this book, but I loved the middle - so true to my experience as a teen ages ago. I didn’t love the end as much. I think the comment SamZ made about how their adult models affected their emotional responses was very insightful.

Angela | 402 comments I read this for 2019’s Week 16: a book told from multiple perspectives. I loved this book, I thought Eleanor and Park were such beautiful characters and displayed such strength under very difficult circumstances. The bullying and abusive home life were chilling, but the displays of kindness throughout the novel gave me a sense of hope. Teenage love is so intense, yet this was a romance that was mature beyond its years.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eleanor & Park (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rainbow Rowell (other topics)