Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > HOOPLA

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I like Hoopla. I just don't like the fact that I am not able to see the chapters the book has.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Mara wrote: "I like Hoopla. I just don't like the fact that I am not able to see the chapters the book has."

I agree that it is annoying not to have any divisions at all. I have become obsessive about using the bookmark feature as it can be almost impossible to figure out where you were in a 26 hour long audiobook if it somehow loses your place (which has happened to me!).

message 3: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I am listening to a book right now, and I feel sleep last night, and I can't go back and find where I left off.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Mara wrote: "I am listening to a book right now, and I feel sleep last night, and I can't go back and find where I left off."

That happens to me too (falling asleep while listening) -- good luck finding a place where you can pick it up again! Be prepared to rehear (relisten?) some of the story in order to get to the point where you were...

message 5: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments Leslie, I emailed HOOPLA saying in they needed to add CHAPTER DIVISIONS. I don't if that will work.

Since I get it through a library I use, I don't know if that is up to them.

I also don't like some of my favorite books are ABRIDGED.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments As long as I know how much time I have left in the book I am happy. I love Hoopla :)

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "As long as I know how much time I have left in the book I am happy. I love Hoopla :)"

Once you get used to bookmarking like crazy, it is fine. I also love Hoopla which often has audiobooks that my local library doesn't have in Overdrive.

message 8: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments With not having CHAPTER divisions you're up the creek if you lose your place or fall asleep like I did early this morning and completely lose my place.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Mara wrote: "With not having CHAPTER divisions you're up the creek if you lose your place or fall asleep like I did early this morning and completely lose my place."

Not if you do as I have said repeatedly in this thread and use the BOOKMARK feature!

message 10: by brenda (new)

brenda johnson (moxize) | 4 comments Yes! Bookmark, Bookmark, Bookmark!
You can never have enough! it is so much easier to remove the extra bookmarks than it is trying to find where your last spot was when you loose it!

message 11: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments So how how can you bookmark when you fall asleep and don't remember where you are.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 145 comments Mara wrote: "So how how can you bookmark when you fall asleep and don't remember where you are."

lol

message 13: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I know! LOL!!!!!

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 581 comments Mara wrote: "So how how can you bookmark when you fall asleep and don't remember where you are."

You bookmark where you are when you get into bed so that you can at least pick up near to where you fell asleep (and setting the sleep timer so it doesn't run for hours and hours after you are asleep can be helpful too).

message 15: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jun 21, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments I usually bookmark where I am and then set the sleep timer so I am at least somewhat close to where I started the next time or at least know it is not more than 30 minutes off the place I started.

message 16: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I will do that when I listen to the book that is on HOOPLA. It would be easier if they just added chapter divisions.

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkismalls) | 2 comments I might have to start doing this every time I finish listening for the day, as this is the second or third time Hoopla has lost all progress I've made and I've had to go back and try to scroll and find it.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments while bookmarking is a great idea as a workaround (because that is what is it) - the simple lack of any kind of division in the file is irritating - i'm listening to a bunch of short stories right now - hoopla has reset the file twice (thankfully I had a rough idea of where I was in it)

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkismalls) | 2 comments Yeah I'm not a fan of that. Particularly since it's so hard to scan a little bit in the app instead of flying ahead or behind.

message 20: by Juniemarie (new)

Juniemarie | 3 comments Ok I'm new and came upon this discussion while searching for an answer to my question which was "how do I find the chapters in a Hoopla audiobook?" You guys answered it for me so I joined your group, That's crazy....no chapter breaks. It's like have a library with lots of books and no catalog. You just rummage around until you find something you want. Why wouldn't they include them I wonder. Anyway thanks for enlightening me

message 21: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments Ask the people at HOOPLA.

message 22: by Juniemarie (new)

Juniemarie | 3 comments I did They said they are working on that I will give them credit they are very responsive to email questions.

message 23: by Juniemarie (new)

Juniemarie | 3 comments Oh and thanks for the idea to bookmark when you get into bed. That really helps.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments another thought on hoopla - I find their search interface to be really chunky...

i.e. on Overdrive if i'm looking for a title with a certain word - I can search word, then narrow down into different genres etc

on hoopla, I can either search by word, or browse all genres looking for a book that fits

feel free for someone to point me in the right direction if there is a better way to do this!

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments Dee wrote: "another thought on hoopla - I find their search interface to be really chunky...

i.e. on Overdrive if i'm looking for a title with a certain word - I can search word, then narrow down into differe..."

I find the Hoopla search interface to be just maddening. It's hard to figure out why they don't have an advanced search function when that's such a common feature on so many websites now.

If there's better search functionality built in and someone can share with us how to access it, I'd be thrilled!

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments Ok glad I'm not the only one

message 27: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments Yes, HOOPLA needs improvement, but I find that HOOPLA and AXIS 360 have many of the new books by our favorite authors much sooner than OVERDRIVE and at times the wait is not as long as it is with OVERDRIVE.

The one thing I wish HOOPLA would is put in chapter divisions. I would like to see AXIS 360 let us know how many hours the book is. Other than that I like both programs.

message 28: by Lilmissmolly (new)

Lilmissmolly | 83 comments I really wish you could listen to books faster than 1.5 on hoopla. It also takes several minutes to load and start playing, and at times, I can't get it to play at all even though the book is downloaded.

message 29: by Chad (new)

Chad | 2 comments Hoopla is painful.

It loses my place about 50% of the time.

I have resorted to taking a screenshot every time I pause the book, so I can go back to where I left off.

I love Overdrive, but the selection at my library is small.

Axis 360 is in the middle, but I've experienced some app crashing recently.

message 30: by Lilmissmolly (new)

Lilmissmolly | 83 comments Chad wrote: "Hoopla is painful.

I have resorted to taking a screenshot every time I pause the book, so I can go back to where I left off.

I love Overdrive, but the se..."

I agree Hoopla is painful and Overdrive is my favorite app to use. But, like you said, the selection at Overdrive seems really limited through my library, which has a very extensive audio CD collection. You'd think they would migrate more titles for downloading, but sadly that is not the case yet. Hoopla has a much better selection of new releases.

message 31: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Chad wrote: "Hoopla is painful.

I love Overdrive, but the se..."

I guess I'm lucky, I've never experienced a problem with Hoopla *knocks wood*

message 32: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3641 comments My library doesn't have books via Hoopla, only videos and music. Is it that great a selection?

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments I've found it to be much wider - as I understand it - your library doesn't buy books for it (like overdrive) - it's on a larger scale but you are limited to borrows during month (6 I think)

message 34: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 25 comments Dee wrote: "I've found it to be much wider - as I understand it - your library doesn't buy books for it (like overdrive) - it's on a larger scale but you are limited to borrows during month (6 I think)"

I get 30 borrows a month on Hoopla, with no restrictions on the 6 content types. Makes it easier to take a chance on stuff.

The comics aren't really worth looking into unless you're a TokyoPop or Archie comics fan. The music is decent (I like the Your Name soundtrack).

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Grumpus wrote: "Chad wrote: "Hoopla is painful.

I love Overdriv..."

Me neither Grumpus! I guess I am lucky. I love having all the options from my library that I do - they have Overrdrive, Hoopla, Axis, One Click. I always try to be thankful for things in life and I feel very lucky my library offers such great options for me :)

John I know you like cozy mysteries - Hoopla has the best cozy selection of audiobooks of all the library options IMO.

message 36: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I have had no problems with HOOPLA or AXIS 360. The only thing I dislike with HOOPLA is that there is no CHAPTER marks or whatever it's called and you have to bookmark your place. AXIS 360 does not let you know how long the book is.

message 37: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments John wrote: "My library doesn't have books via Hoopla, only videos and music. Is it that great a selection?"

John, for the types of books I read, I find their selection better than Overdrive and find the app easier to use.

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments Terrence wrote: "Dee wrote: "I've found it to be much wider - as I understand it - your library doesn't buy books for it (like overdrive) - it's on a larger scale but you are limited to borrows during month (6 I th..."

Maybe the 6 is a library restriction...

message 39: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I believe each library that uses HOOPLA has different limitation limits. San Francisco Public Library in CA has a limit of 20 per month. I use the SF HOOPLA app all the time.

message 40: by Faith (new)

Faith | 389 comments I'm a member of the NYPL and Fairfax County and neither has Hoopla. The Overdrive waits on both can be ludicrous but there is always something available to borrow immediately.

message 41: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments If you scout around you will find other libraries using HOOPLA, AXIS 360, and some new download programs I can't remember the name of. The only drawback is each library charges a different Non-Resident Fee. Some are reasonable and others are out of a persons budget. The libraries in Mobile, ALA & Huntsville, AL charge I think $20. a year. And they have other download programs besides Overdrive.

I believe the the library in Mobile, AL does not offer Overdrive. You have to check.

message 42: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Mara wrote: "I believe each library that uses HOOPLA has different limitation limits. San Francisco Public Library in CA has a limit of 20 per month. I use the SF HOOPLA app all the time."

My library is 5 per month.

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments Grumpus wrote: "My library is 5 per month..."

So glad someone else has a library with a low borrow - I was getting jealous

message 44: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3641 comments I can borrow 20 Hoopla videos, but no books. Oh well.

message 45: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments I used Hoopla through the Houston Public Library and I believe they had a limit of 5. When I changed from Houston Public Library to the SF Public Library Hoopla download I believe SF had only 10 downloads per month. In November or December, that got changed to 20. I believe that Sacramento Public Library and SF Public Library up their Overdrive loans, but not sure.
I just wish that Overdrive, Axis 360 and Hoopla would have Nora Roberts's & J.D. Robbs's books for audio download. It would save me money.

message 46: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments It could be for everything on the HOOPLA App or desktop site, but I only download audiobooks.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments I can check out 10 per month with no limit on content. :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Faith wrote: "I'm a member of the NYPL and Fairfax County and neither has Hoopla. The Overdrive waits on both can be ludicrous but there is always something available to borrow immediately."

This again makes me very grateful for my library. I know a lot of others out there are not so open to these services.

message 49: by Mara (last edited Jan 10, 2017 04:14PM) (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 233 comments Faith,

Check out Houston Public Library, Mobile, AL and Huntsville, AL. The non-resident fees are not as high as many of the other libraries choose to offer non-resident services. to charge. It has One-Click Digital, Axis 360, and Hoopla along with Overdrive.

I believe Brooklyn Public Library has Hoopla, but I am not sure or check out the Queens Public Library.

I personally like Axis 360 and Hoopla over Overdrive since the waiting with Axis 360 and Hoopla have a shorter waiting time. And sometimes we can get it right away. There are some other download programs similar to Hoopla, but I do not know the names of them.

There are many other Libraries around the country who offer Hoopla and Axis 360, but I can't remember them all.

message 50: by Faith (new)

Faith | 389 comments Mara wrote: "Faith,

Check out Houston Public Library, Mobile, AL and Huntsville, AL. The non-resident fees are not as high as many of the other libraries choose to offer non-resident services. to charge. It ha..."

Thanks. I will check these out.

« previous 1