Play Book Tag discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
June, 2016: Fantasy > Divergent, Veronica Roth 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 804 comments I know this style of book and trilogies are in right now and that some of them have similar themes at places, but I thought Divergent was fun and liked it. Tris was forced to grow up quickly. She has to decide what is right for her future and which faction to join, she learned to be strong and fight, and she tried to stop innocent people from being killed. Veronica Roth showed many aspects of Tris and it was interesting to see how other characters reacted to her as she made choices.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed the first two books in this series.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments I really loved this book too. I liked the other two a lot too, just not quite as much. I'll be interested in what you think of the other two, especially the last one.

Kelly | 804 comments I read all 3. I liked Divergent the best. I enjoyed the 2nd one also. The third was good, but I agree about not liking it quite as much. The last book had a more serious tone. I understand how grief took over for Tris which she had to over come and that Four was dealing with his own personal doubts. However, I personally felt the characters were at their best when they were stronger and in the city. In the last book I was not sure if there was a large enough difference between the points of view the story was told from. Overall I thought it was a fun series.

Karin | 7011 comments The first book is the best, the second fairly good, but the third is abysmal, IMO :) I didn't read all of the third until the movies were coming out.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 8529 comments You have to take these things for what they are. I read all three, and they were perfect YA books that my teenage patients are reading, my friends kids are reading, and my kids will too when they develop better reading comprehension. I could totally be a book snob and state that these are unlike the higher brow books I'm better known for reviewing. But they were a fun divergence and fun ride. Why not go along for the experience and take them as they are. Pure YA fun. What kid wouldn't relate to train jumping as a mode of travel? In any case, just know they are what they are, and pretend to be nothing more.

annapi | 4980 comments I never liked this series, sorry to say. I managed to finish book 1, got a few chapters into 2, and just dropped it. I could not get into the lame premise of the different factions, even factoring in the target audience. Maze Runner was worse - the writing was so forced I could not get far into book 1. At least I was able to finish Divergent. I think there is much better YA dystopian fare out there (Hunger Games, The Host, Legend, Cinder, Origin; even Girl with All the Gifts).

message 8: by Karin (last edited Jun 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 7011 comments Amy wrote: "You have to take these things for what they are. I read all three, and they were perfect YA books that my teenage patients are reading, my friends kids are reading, and my kids will too when they d..."

My kids didn't like the third book, either. They thought the premise for it lame and that it ruined things :). I think that opinions vary on that one.