Contemporary YA discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Books Made into TV Shows > The Handmaid’s Tale Books into TV

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Elisabeth Moss (The Mad Men and Top of the Lake) will be starring in Hulu's adaptation of Margret Atwood's The Handmaid’s Tale.

The TV series will consist of 10 episodes and will debut in 2017. This was a straight to series order by Hulu so it's a done deal.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I know it's a classic but since here in Brazil the list of books we have to read in school is quite different, I have yet to read this. How do you all like it? I've read a lot of interesting things about it.

Natália wrote: "I know it's a classic but since here in Brazil the list of books we have to read in school is quite different, I have yet to read this. How do you all like it? I've read a lot of interesting things..."

I've never read this one or watched the"old" movie. The topic doesn't interest me at all. I do love Elizabeth Moss so I will at least watch the first episode and see what I think.

message 4: by Andrea (last edited Jul 15, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Max Minghella and The Leftovers’ Ann Dowd have been added to the cast.

Max Minghella will play Nick, a Guardian in Gilead. He lives in Commander Waterford’s house and works for him.

Ann Dowd will play Aunt Lydia, head of the Red Center, where she indoctrinates handmaids into the Gilead system. She trains them, by any means necessary, for their role as ritualized sexual servants in the homes of “Commanders,” the elite of Gilead.

I've also learned that filming starts in the fall in Toronto and Margaret Atwood is a consulting producer.

Joseph Fiennes has been cast to play Commander Fred Waterford. Commander Waterford rules the household where Offred (played by Elizabeth Moss) is a handmaid.

Fiennes has a long resume including: American Horror Story (2012-2013), Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth and the upcoming TV movie Elizabeth, Michael and Marlon.

message 6: by JoAnne (new) - added it

JoAnne I read the book and saw the movie but it was ages ago. I just looked on imdb - 1990, for the movie.
I do know that I never read another book by this author. I remember the movie was pretty.

Now if Joe Fiennes is gonna be in it - I'll watch at least one episode!!

This cast is looking and sounding pretty impressive.

Yvonne Strahovski is set to play Serena Joy. Serena is the wife of Commander Waterford (played by Joseph Fiennes aka the hottie) and she is in charge of their household staff.

I remember her from 'The Astronaut Wives Club' (also based on a book.) She was fabulous! Here she as Rene Carpenter.

I haven't read the book, but I loved the series and Rene Carpenter was my favorite astonauts wife. I wish ABC would have done something similar - history based this year.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
OHH, Yvonne Strahovski! I LOVE HER! She was in one of my favorite tv shows, Chuck! Yay, can't wait to see her on my screen again!

Natália wrote: "OHH, Yvonne Strahovski! I LOVE HER! She was in one of my favorite tv shows, Chuck! Yay, can't wait to see her on my screen again!"

I've never watched Chuck...I think I'll add it to to my to
watch list.

British actor O-T Fagbenle has been added to the cast. He will play Luke, Offred’s (Moss) husband from the world before Gilead, and father to their daughter Hannah.

Another impressive actor has joined the cast. Amanda Brugel will play Rita, the Waterfords’ housekeeper.

Here are just few projects she has reluctantly been in: Suicide Squad, Love's Complicated (Hallmark TV Movie), Eyewitness (TV Series) and Orphan Black (TV Series.)

You can watch the trailers
here

April buddy read

Are you ready for a buddy read? To get ready for Hulu's adaptation, we'll be reading The Handmaid's Tale.

Join in anytime. Here are a few questions to get the discussion going.

1. How did you feel while reading this book?
2. Who is your favorite character and why?
3. Why did the author choose Harvard University as the headquarters of this new regime?
4. What does The Handmaid's Tale have to say about feminism and the treatment of women?
5. There are many biblical references in the novel, which one(s) struck you most?
6. What have you taken away from reading The Handmaid’s Tale? What sticks in your mind?

There's so much to discuss with this book. Feel free to discuss anything and or ask your own questions.