Flights of Fantasy discussion

Books & Discussions > Books about demons

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2974 comments First that comes to my mind is Who in Hell. . .: A Guide to the Damned Bunch. It lists a lot of historical figures and "why they're in hell", but also has a good listing of demons and their functions. It's encyclopedic in nature.

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (darkk) | 52 comments "The Devil Within" by Brian Levack is a choice, although it's a bit pricey anymore if you can't find a decent used copy. It's a concise and detailed look at the history of demonic possession in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (but tracking it on to the 20th) with a focus mostly on the psychological and sociological ramifications and the mores and folkways involved in the procedure.

For your purposes he does a pretty good job describing the rituals, trappings, and the theater of exorcism rites. Lots of detail about how they varied from region to region or even participant to participant (from possession in men, women, and children).

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm on my phone so I can't link but Mike Carey's Felix Castor series and Stephen Leather's Jack Nightingale series are perfect for that subject matter.

message 4: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (darkk) | 52 comments For demons in religious history, I don't think you can do much better than Gustave Dore's "Dictionary of Angels" which includes the fallen angels. From those allegedly captured by Solomon, the major and spirits of the Talmud, and pretty much anything else in-between.

message 5: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments What about Darren Shan's Demonata series? First one is Lord Loss.

message 6: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm not sure how well this will fit your criteria, but the Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series was the very first thing that came to my mind.

I read the first 5 out of 6 books and enjoyed them!

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So, Mercedes Lackey wrote a UF baaacccck in the day that had a pretty scary demon that she sourced from myths.

IIRC it was a Japanese demon that ate it's victims (souls?) alive and then were able to reappear as an exact copy of that person.

There's a free Japanese myth book here: Japanese Fairy Tales
https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Fairy...

message 8: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (darkk) | 52 comments "Who In Hell..." is probably one of my all-time favorites reads. So long as you don't mind your humor being irreverent, and you aren't overly religious, you'll probably laugh yourself into a hernia if you try to read it all in one go. Familiarity with Dante's Divine Comedy is a bit of a pre-req (it's how they assign the damned to their various punishments in hell in the book), but even so just the listing of demons and damned and the various reasons they've been cataloged is amusing.

"Heaven for climate, but Hell for society."

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2974 comments I wish they did an updated version of 'Who in Hell... '. I'd love to see some more recent historical figures get skewered.

message 10: by Ekel (new)

Ekel Adolf | 101 comments Regarding non-fiction, I'd recommend the works of John Keel, especially Operation Trojan Horse.

Yeah, Keel was a fortean researcher and ufologist, but one could call him just a modern demonologist as well. In fact, he defined ufology as an alternate term for demonology.

Regarding Fiction, I'd recommend Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker.

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron McQuiston | 2 comments I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I have been reading, "Who Wants to Be the Prince of Darkness?" a novel by Michael Boatman. It's not really a scholarly example, but it uses the entertaining idea that Lucifer has retired, so there is a battle for who will be in charge. Of course bad things ensure.