The Bowie Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Upcoming reads > 9th reading - October 1st, 2016 - Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Reading Bibliophile (last edited Jun 20, 2016 03:35AM) (new)

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
Time to nominate a book you'd like to see make our poll for our October reading in order to enough time for everyone in this group to get their hands on a hard-copy.

##############################

Rules for submitting your nomination:

- Each member can nominate just one book.

- The book must fit in one of the following group bookshelves: 100 must read or Bowie references. Please go the group's bookshelf and make your pick.

- In case you think of a book to nominate that is not part of any of those two lists, you must explain why you are suggesting it. For example, if you saw Bowie mentioning it before, send the reference. If it is part of a Bowie song, name it...

- Keep in mind that our goal is not to read books about Bowie. Our goal is to read books that were admired by him as the avid reader he was.

On July 1st, we'll upload the list with the contestants for the October book. The list cannot have more than 10 books and less than 5. The terms for a book to make the list are:

1st - The ones mentioned more times.
2nd - In case there is a tie between nominees, the one to make the cut will be the one mentioned first.
3rd - In case we don't get the minimum nominations (5), the rest of the list will be completed with the books with more votes from the previous month.

The poll will remain open until July 10th. Once the voting ends, if there is a tie for the first place, a new poll will open from July 10th to the 15th to reach a final decision.

The nominations are now open :-)

message 2: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (frankiefurterr) I'll nominate on the road by Kerouac :)

Han wrote: "I'll nominate on the road by Kerouac :)"

Thanks, Han.

message 5: by KOMET (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

message 6: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) On the Road would work for me ; I need to read it again after 30+ years !

KOMET wrote: "I am nominating The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa.

The Leopard A Novel by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa"

Great choice!

Ed wrote: "On the Road would work for me ; I need to read it again after 30+ years !"

I've never read it...

message 9: by SoulSurvivor (new)

SoulSurvivor (kimosabi2018) Cynthia wrote: "Ed wrote: "On the Road would work for me ; I need to read it again after 30+ years !"

I've never read it..."

It is an iconic counter-culture book from the early 1960s ; it's story is in the context of the 'free love' , anti-war & drug culture in US

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hurtubise | 2 comments On the Road sounds good. I have never read it but have always wanted to.

message 11: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments I'm going to nominate something random this time.

In Between the Sheets by Ian McEwan by Ian McEwan Ian McEwan

Samanta wrote: "I'm going to nominate something random this time.

In Between the Sheets by Ian McEwan by Ian McEwan Ian McEwan"

Thanks Samanta!

Please don't forget to send in your nominations by 30 June! Thanks :-)

message 14: by Sara (last edited Jun 27, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

Sara (scody) | 53 comments I'll nominate Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I'm currently reading it already, but I would love to discuss it with others here come October!

message 15: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
I liked your nomination a lot, Sara...

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex | 10 comments Ed wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Ed wrote: "On the Road would work for me ; I need to read it again after 30+ years !"

I've never read it..."
It is an iconic counter-culture book from the early 1960s ; it's story ..."

It was actually published in 1957 and reflects an America that didn't know what was coming. Its characters were the forerunners.

message 17: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
Ok... I'll confess... I am not nominating any books this month because I plan to vote in the book most likely to defeat On the Road hahahahahaha.

I have a very short list of books I have started and never finished and On The Road is there... 3 attempts and I am sorry, but beat literature will never be my thing!

We have our 5 books, thanks Sara :-) Of course, nominations are still open (up to 30 June).

We learn about the beat generation at school (but I can't remember in which class), well, when I was at high school, I don't think they learn about it now. On the road is a typical road book (I guess like In the wild but the times were different of course.
I'm not very keen about reading it either, but I might give it a go if it wins the poll ;-)

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter (petersface) | 80 comments I would love to read some Faulkner in the autumn, so I nominate As I Lay Dying

Peter wrote: "I would love to read some Faulkner in the autumn, so I nominate As I Lay Dying"

Thanks, Peter.

Alex wrote: "Ed wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Ed wrote: "On the Road would work for me ; I need to read it again after 30+ years !"

I've never read it..."
It is an iconic counter-culture book from the early 1960s ; ..."

Thanks, Ed. Firstly I would gather info about the post-war history of the USA and then read it. It would make sense :-)

message 22: by lunatic (new)

lunatic (lamortdesfleurs) | 1 comments I am nominating Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert :)

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter (petersface) | 80 comments mandy wrote: "I am nominating Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert :)"

so soon? :)

mandy wrote: "I am nominating Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert :)"

Madame Bovary is our July reading, Mandy. Please do not hesitate to nominate another book :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.