What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > feminist novel about chasing your dreams

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sude (new)

Sude Hi, I'm searching for a novel following the theme "chasing your dreams/defying social norms." For example, the plot could have something like a female character who dreams of doing a job that is considered a "man's job" and is pressured by the society, but she's determined to achieve her dreams. This is just an example, but I would love to read something along these lines. It's for a sociology-literature paper I am working on. Thanks in advance! :)

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (conservio) | 97 comments If you don't mind fantasy, A Natural History of Dragons is the perfect choice. It's not too heavy on fantasy, the only fantastical elements are its in a different world (albeit similar to our own) and has dragons. Other than that its about a lady scientist wanting to study dragons.

message 3: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments What age, or does it matter?
There's a Girl in My Hammerlock is for teens, but about a girl who joins the wrestling team.

Dragonsong is a fantasy about a girl who wants to make music, but that's a man's job.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38268 comments Mod
The Song of the Lark. The protagonist isn't trying to get into a "man's job," but she's from a very small town and because it's the 19th century, a girl chasing her dreams is pretty uncommon. She wants to go into classical music and in order to do so, she has to leave her family at age 17 and move to the big city alone.