What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Graphic Fantasy Trilogy with multiple character perspectives

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will | 1 comments Style:
-Written in the first person perspective of multiple characters
-Changed perspective by chapter
-Four or so main characters
-Fantasy, but incredibly graphic; sex scenes, torture scenes, etc.
-I think there was 3 books total, but I may have stopped reading at book 3, as I remember there being a cliff hanger of sorts at the last book I read.
-Sword is in the title of at least one book
Characters:
1. An old man with a missing leg that used a cane; he was a warrior captured and severely tortured for several years and now acts as an inquisitor/torturer. His name started with a G. He was incredibly unorthodox and considered disgusting by most other characters. At one point he participates in a siege, either protecting the castle or helping destroy it.
2. A viking-esk ex-king (I believe) whom we are first introduced to as fleeing from other men in a canyon. Later we learn he suffers from berserker rage where he blacks out; his main story regarding this is when he shows other characters a scar on either side of his body where he was impaled by a spear.
3. A dark skin, yellow eyed female character. I remember her as coming from or living in a desert, possibly being a slave at one point. She is feral, aggressive, and rude, but spends time with the viking, and at one point they have sex; this scene I remember because of a hilarious line the viking says about "buckets" and how they refill quickly.
4. A privileged noble/royal male. He wants to become a great knight, but is the generic "preppy kid doesn't understand the real world" character. He eventually becomes king, but is completely underneath the Torturer characters thumb.
Other notes:
I remember there being a small magic component to the story, although not great. I remember the viking entering an extremely tall building with vines covering the interior that held some magical secret or power which he either took or was injured by.
The first scene, I believe, is the Torturer character torturing a chubby man tied naked to a chair. At one point, the Torturer's "student" pins the mans hand to the table and the Torturer cuts a sliver of flesh from the tip of his finger and the "student" marvels at how thin the slice was.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33316 comments Mod
The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie for Quinn's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4364...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Will, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Abercrombie (other topics)