Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Gothic Horror Novel

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments Hello :-) This is Moby, i am looking for Gothic Horror Novel , in modern age, if you suggest me any good i will be thankful ,

message 3: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments its seems very interesting :) I really appreciate it

message 5: by Bettina (new)

Bettina (bettegh) Asylum by Patrick McGrath Asylum- I believe it takes place in the 50's and there is plenty of horror & a monster, but not supernatural. Still, probably my fave Gothic novel.

Also Elizabeth Hand's Generation LossCass Neary series is pretty Gothic- the first is on a Gothic island, the second a Gothic country and the third, a Gothic house- all the traditional tropes but again, not supernatural. now-ish.
(fantastic detective series BTW)

Hand's Wylding Hall is "A GOTHIC HORROR NOVEL"- early 70's. (not her best, but anything she writes is better than most horror/weird fiction)

Tanith Lee's Dark Dance Blood Opera series. 90's- I think. Decaying house full of Vampire-ish people.

(I could go on forever)

message 6: by Bettina (last edited Jun 22, 2016 06:54AM) (new)

Bettina (bettegh) Oh! I forgot a great one- Her Fearful Symmetry. I absolutely loved it.....it's a work you either hate or love*. Very strange tale. Takes place in the present.

*Niffenegger wrote 'the Time Traveler's Wife'. A lot of people pegged her as a 'romance writer'. She is no such thing. HFS really upset those people.

message 7: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments Thank you Bettina , i will check all these books :-)

message 8: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments Thank You Ken :-) i will check too

message 9: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 595 comments The Night Sister has a gothic feel to it.

There's also:

The Haunting of Hill House
The Woman in Black (not set in modern times)

message 10: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments Kelly wrote: "The Night Sister has a gothic feel to it.

There's also:

The Haunting of Hill House
The Woman in Black (not set in modern times)"

Thank You Kelly, i will check :-)

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments I was just about to post a topic about this myself. I'm looking for more 1800-1900 era English horror. Hah, I know, kinda specifc now that I write it down. But, I'm a total sucker for The Woman in Black , Drood, The Cabinet of Dr Blessing, era settings. Anything with an estate, the English moors, foggy london alleys, etc. is my shit. If anyone has any recommendations (I've read quite a few) please let me know! Thanks!

message 12: by Bettina (new)

Bettina (bettegh) Randy wrote: "I was just about to post a topic about this myself. I'm looking for more 1800-1900 era English horror.

Have you read any Wilkie Collins? Turn of the Screw? They're the real thing and still the best....
If you're not into that studied Victorian language, both John Harwood's The Seance and The Asylum are fun. Patrick McGrath's Dr Haggard's Disease is (okay-IMO) among the best of Gothics.

message 13: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments Ya, I've read some Dickens, Turn of the screw, couldn't get into Wilkie Collins, read all of John Harwood's stuff. I prefer stuff written recently but about that time era... thanks for the recommendations though!

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Susan Hill has written a number of really creepy novellas - not just the Woman in Black but The Small Hand: A Ghost Story, Printer's Devil Court and a number of others. She creates her own individual time but so authentically. Great writer.

message 15: by Moby Syed (new)

Moby Syed Mubashir  | 6 comments Catherine wrote: "Susan Hill has written a number of really creepy novellas - not just the Woman in Black but The Small Hand: A Ghost Story, Printer's Devil Court and a ..."

You read Susan Hill book The Various Haunts of Men, how is it ? good ? i like Ghost Town novels

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 279 comments Sorry, Moby. I haven't read her Simon Serrailler mysteries, so I can't advise you on this one - but she is an excellent writer

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (dracoria) | 7 comments seconding the Asylum by Patrick McGrath recommendation. that book was excellent and still remains one of my favorites to this day

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 65 comments I just discovered Sarah Rayne who does a lot of gothic horror. I recently read A Dark Dividing by Sarah Rayne and quite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.

message 19: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Moore | 1 comments Gabrielle Wittkop's "The Necrophiliac". Although it its more decadent than romantic.