What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fantasy/Supernatural/Paranormal with Female Protagonist

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (ikklekins) | 20 comments I'm looking for recommendations of fantasy/supernatural books with strong female leads that are not YA fiction. Urban and modern fantasy preferred. I'm also looking for books that have an element of romance, but I DO NOT want recs for romance novels or where the romance is the primary element that develops the plot.

Psychics, werewolves, magic, etc... I'm really open to a lot of different things

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1340 comments Angels' Blood, Guild Hunter series
Some Girls Bite, Chicagoland Vamps
Relentless, series
The Immortal Rules, series
Captured, series
Seven Psychics, Shifter Squad series (sounds ridiculous I know, but I really enjoyed it).

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
A selection of series

Magic Bites Kate Daniels, UF ((Magic user/mercenary swordswoman, set in alternate U.S.)

Moon Called Mercy Thompson, UF N.A. shapeshifter--has werewolves, vampires, witches and fae, oh my. Set in an alternate U.S.

Alpha & Omega (short story setting up the series. Cry Wolf book 1. UF, spinoff from the Mercy Thompson series

Halfway to the Grave Night Huntress UF half vampire-half human, MC hunts vampires for the U.S. government

Dying Bites UF Bloodhound Files---FBI agent from our world is pulled into an alternate world by magic. In this world vampires and werewolves are the dominate species, with humans a very rare minority.

Rosemary and Rue October Daye series. Fae MC again, alternate U.S.

Blood Price Vicky Nelson series UF, set in Canada. Set in "our" world, since the magical beings are all in hiding

Smoke and Shadows UF Tony Foster series, spin off of the Blood Price series. Only 3 books long, and it starts after the Vicky series ends

Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye this is actually a PNMystery series. The MC is a psychic who is a "real" psychic.

Dead Until Dark PNMystery series. If you watched the HBO series that was very vaguely based on this book series, expect it to be totally different.

Grave Sight PNMystery psychic who acquired her abilities when she was struck by lightning.

Truly, Madly PNMystery Ignore the title implying that it's a romance. The MC in this one was also struck by lightning, which altered the psychic gift she'd been born with (the ability to match people up romantically) and instead she can now find objects by touching the hand of the owner.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ok, I was starting a migraine when I posted the previous message, and it occurred to me when I was looking at this thread again that I shouldn't have put in the Smoke and Shadows book, since that doesn't have a female MC. Tony, the MC is gay, but is male. Sorry. I thought about just editing the message and deleting it, then thought that perhaps you'd already read it, so am putting this message in instead.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kjh6) | 13 comments The Winged series by lm pruitt my favourite.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

message 9: by Electric (last edited Jun 24, 2016 02:29PM) (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 56 comments The Burning Sky Modernish fantasy. In a Harry Potter like fashion, there is a Mage world and the Non-mage world, but it isn't very much like HP at all. Iolanthe is one of the two protagonists, and though those protagonists do fall in love as the story goes, I didn't feel like it was the main part of the story. I enjoyed it.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kindred Strong African American female lead time travels to slave era, gets into major trouble. A classic from the great Octavia E. Butler.

message 11: by Nyssa (last edited Jun 25, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Nyssa | 34 comments Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison starring Rachel Morgan of The Hollows series. Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, with a variety of Supernatural characters.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tina | 116 comments Anne Bishop's Others series. Urban fantasy. Great world-building. Whiff of romance in the offing, but four books in and we are not quite there yet.

message 13: by MaWhit (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments Skinwalker is the first in the Jane Yellowrock series. Urban fantasy, kickass heroine, all kinds of supernats.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina (tina_evans) | 58 comments Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series is good. She is half wolf half vamp and works in a supernatural police force of sorts in Melbourne, Australia while trying to hide her hybrid nature. Her main love interest is a Vamp but she also has a wolfs needs. She has a twin brother who is gay and has gone missing in the first book. It takes an effort to get through the first one as it is really setting up the world Riley lives in but worth it.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

A LOT of effort because the world building is so intense. But the series is worth reading. Riley is an interesting, complex character.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)